Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Selectel LTE rollout -- date and terms?

Carrier(s)
    Twigby
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by music4praise View Post
    I think this thread is missing the point. The $12 plan on PagePlus has 10MB of data and the $15 Plan on Selectel has 15MB. How long is that data going to last on LTE? Maybe 10 minutes--and then the customer is going to call in to whine. On the PayGo plans you could burn through your balance in a hurry. Limiting LTE to the higher priced plans will cause a few members of HoFo to complain but from a business perspective, it makes a lot of sense.
    Again AS IF 10 or 15 MB lasts a long time on 3G now. What, do you think? That people who have 10 MBs on a 3G phone can stream video all day? Data on these plans is (and have always been -- at least on smartphones) an "emergency backup." This is a non-argument. What the users on the Standard and $12 Plans want is the choice of getting a newer, non-flashed, LTE phone. Most probably wouldn't even turn on their LTE data -- as they rarely turn on their 3G data now.
    Last edited by rcentros; 09-10-2014 at 11:56 PM.
    Blackberry Q10 on Twigby

Device(s)
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I agree, the data allotments are a moot point on the low-cost plans. These are users for whom voice and perhaps text are the only real considerations. The phone selection, however, is a big deal.

Device(s)
    Motorola VE20 (mine)
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
    Again AS IF 10 or 15 MB lasts a long time on 3G now. What, do you think? That people who have 10 MBs on a 3G phone can stream video all day? Data on these plans is (and have always been -- at least on smartphones) an "emergency backup." This is a non-argument. What the users on the Standard and $12 Plans want is the choice of getting a newer, non-flashed, LTE phone. Most probably wouldn't even turn on their LTE data -- as they rarely turn on their 3G data now.
    Most HoFo readers could manage this just fine. They are the minority. There are enough customers who wouldn't manage it properly to create a number of issues and ill will. I think Page Plus learned their lesson from the customer service nightmare they created when they first rolled out an unlimited plan all at once instead of incrementally.

Carrier(s)
    Ting - R+ - Lyca - BYO - Selectel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by music4praise View Post
    Most HoFo readers could manage this just fine. They are the minority. There are enough customers who wouldn't manage it properly to create a number of issues and ill will. I think Page Plus learned their lesson from the customer service nightmare they created when they first rolled out an unlimited plan all at once instead of incrementally.
    LOL, like adding the $12 and std plan is going to throw the system into chaos.

Carrier(s)
    Twigby
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pfoneguy View Post
    Technically speaking there would be no problem in allowing LTE phones on the $12 Plan and Standard Plan. It would actually simplify technical issues. What "Page Plus" (ie. America Movil) is doing here, is creating a false dichotomy between lower priced plans and "unlimited" plans. If you want a modern smartphone you'll have to "pony up" $30 a month. How long before the $12 and Standard Plans won't even even allow older smartphones? Then, to standardize with Straight Talk, how long before the $30 Plan stops supporting smartphones, old or new? I'm probably overreacting, but I do know that big corporations do really stupid things.

Feedback Score
    Does anyone know if the exclusion of low usage users was the decision of Verizon or Page Plus? If it's Verizon, shame on them for ruining all Verizon's MVNO's. If it's Page Plus's decision, then there's still hope for me on Selectel's $75 yearly plan in the near term. I would like to leave Virgin Mobile Customs as soon as possible and avoid paying flashing service as it costs $40 to $50.
    Last edited by popeyeacf; 09-11-2014 at 08:35 PM.

Carrier(s)
    Ting - R+ - Lyca - BYO - Selectel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
    Technically speaking there would be no problem in allowing LTE phones on the $12 Plan and Standard Plan. It would actually simplify technical issues. What "Page Plus" (ie. America Movil) is doing here, is creating a false dichotomy between lower priced plans and "unlimited" plans. If you want a modern smartphone you'll have to "pony up" $30 a month. How long before the $12 and Standard Plans won't even even allow older smartphones? Then, to standardize with Straight Talk, how long before the $30 Plan stops supporting smartphones, old or new? I'm probably overreacting, but I do know that big corporations do really stupid things.
    They certainly are not making it a hard decision for the users on the $12 and STD plans to toss their pretty much worthless 4 year old device in the drawer and pick up a nice GSM unit that supports LTE, or even a Sprint device that supports LTE if you happen to live in a actual LTE covered area, and Give Big Red and their MVNOs the single digit salute!
    I find it interesting that they also eliminated the spiff to dealers for the $12 plan starting this month.

So why is Selectel and BYO so silent on this?

Feedback Score
    It's not much to go on but according to
    http://prepaidmobilephonereviews.com...plus-cellular/

Selectel‘s dealers have been notified yesterday about getting access to LTE data but not about when exactly that might be. For now all they are saying is that it’s coming “soon”.

Device(s)
    Motorola VE20 (mine)
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pfoneguy View Post
    You weren't around for the CS disaster I referred to or you would understand. It isn't the system--it is the extra time the reps have to take fielding phone calls making everyone's wait times go up exponentially.

Feedback Score
    any news or rumors on when Selectel may start offering LTE and more importantly letting people use 4G phones?

Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I asked about my Note 3 on Selectel's Facebook page, and they replied, "Soon".
    My Phone Can Amortize, Can Yours?

Device(s)
    E815 (retired)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Carole Wright View Post
    I asked about my Note 3 on Selectel's Facebook page, and they replied, "Soon".
    Any update on when "soon" may be? Will it be a trick/treat surprise for us?

Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Last I checked, they just keep saying "soon".

Feedback Score
    Wish they'd hurry up.

Feedback Score
    I believe you are missing a big reason, or two big reasons, Selectel exists at all.

It is the same reason why the car dealers that specialize in selling used, cars that are exclusively former rental cars, exist.

Except there are two incentives in this case.

If rental cars used different gasoline than regular cars, then that would be a better analogy.

In the real world Verizon owns both the rental cars ( old only 3G phones coming off Verizon contracts ) and Verizon also owns the old refineries that produce the special, "old" gasoline ( 3G cell towers and the 3G equipment located alongside 4G equipment on 4G towers ).

Verizon has an outlet to sell used 3G phones that come off of Verizon contract plans and also a means of generating revenue from otherwise underused 3G capacity that is still out there as a huge capital investment that would otherwise be generating next to nothing.

Try to get a list of new phone models ( or even used phone models ) that will work on Seltecl's 3G plans from Seletel...

They may exist, but try getting them from Selectel customer service.

Sort of explains why flashing non Verizon phones over to Verizon phones is, for all practical puroposes, banned.

This is pure speculation based on analysis of the business models and assumed economic incentives.

Take it for what it is worth. To me it appears to be a brilliant business model - and also leverages Verizon's near Universal coverage of western cities, towns and freeways.

As Verizon 3G coverage areas are converted to 4G only Verizon coverage areas, Verizon will have to allow voice to be delivered over both 3G and 4G for Selectel and others to maintain the coverage advantage for voice - so change will evolve - but not on an all re-sellers at the same time basis, and also not on an all, or nothing ( a 4G phones only ) basis, on Selectel.

Verizon needs an outlet for older phones coming off contract, and also a profit stream from previously depreciated 3G tower equipment.
    Last edited by hoover_cells; 05-20-2015 at 12:21 PM.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast