Thread: call forwarding and long distance charge

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 plus
    Carrier(s)
    FIDO
    Feedback Score

call forwarding and long distance charge

I have an unlimited us calling plan and will be going to the US shortly.

My question is, if I call forward my Fido cell to a US number from Canada, will I incur any long distance charges? I believe I have 2500 minutes of call forwarding / month.

I know this has been asked numerous times, but each answer is a bit confusing.

Thanks

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Forwarding will incur applicable forwarding and long distance minutes. Since your plan has 2500 forwarding minutes and unlimited US long distance then you won't incur any charges until you cross 2500 minutes, at which time forwarding charges would apply.

I do exactly what you are asking all the time. In fact my voice mail number is my US google voice number. No additional charges. One thing you will need to verify is that your account is allowed to forward to US numbers. Some accounts had some kind of credit or security block that prevents it and it's a headache to get rogers to fix it.
    Unlocked iPhone XS Max 256GB, Unlocked JetBlack 128GB iPhone 7Plus, Unlocked 64GB iPhone 6, unlocked 32GB iPhone 5 (AWS), unlocked 16GB iPhone 4
    $60/10GB Unlimited Canada-wide anytime minutes, Unlimited international messaging (SMS/MMS) CD, VM

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ceredon View Post
    Forwarding will incur applicable forwarding and long distance minutes. Since your plan has 2500 forwarding minutes and unlimited US long distance then you won't incur any charges until you cross 2500 minutes, at which time forwarding charges would apply.

I do exactly what you are asking all the time. In fact my voice mail number is my US google voice number. No additional charges. One thing you will need to verify is that your account is allowed to forward to US numbers. Some accounts had some kind of credit or security block that prevents it and it's a headache to get rogers to fix it.

Can you add a US ld voice pack, for let's say a month, and call forward as well if you already have the 2500 call forwarding minutes?

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneColdGB View Post
    Can you add a US ld voice pack, for let's say a month, and call forward as well if you already have the 2500 call forwarding minutes?

via the HoFo App
    Should be able to, or at least it used to be possible. I did that for my dad for a 2 week trip to Florida a couple years ago. I actual added the US LD and CCF for him. The LD addon was even prorated, so he was only charged for 1/2 a month since he only needed it for 1/2 month. The $3 CCF wasn't prorated. Forwarding to a US number I got for him worked without a hitch.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 plus
    Carrier(s)
    FIDO
    Feedback Score
    Should be able to, or at least it used to be possible. I did that for my dad for a 2 week trip to Florida a couple years ago. I actual added the US LD and CCF for him. The LD addon was even prorated, so he was only charged for 1/2 a month since he only needed it for 1/2 month. The $3 CCF wasn't prorated. Forwarding to a US number I got for him worked without a hitch.
    If I put call forwarding on while I'm in the US. Besides turning on call forwarding, as I'm aware I'll be dinged long distance charge, but after that will I be charged anything extra? As I have call forwarding and long distance to US while I'm in canada.

Thanks

Device(s)
    Essential PH-1, Pixel XL, Nexus 5, Nexus 4, Nexus S
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo & Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by john99 View Post
    If I put call forwarding on while I'm in the US. Besides turning on call forwarding, as I'm aware I'll be dinged long distance charge, but after that will I be charged anything extra? As I have call forwarding and long distance to US while I'm in canada.

Thanks
    Ceredon answered the question above, but...

• You've said you have Canada to US calling
    • You have CF

Next, as stated by Ceredon, see if you have access to it. The simple way is, call forward to the number in the US. From another phone, call YOUR number, and make sure it is answered by the US number. If so, you're good to go.
    Un-Rogered, and getting better 'value'.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Oh, one part I just noticed. OP asked about enabling CF while in the US. Make sure you forward all calls and not conditional call forwarding. Enabling, CCF, might incur roaming charges because the calls route to the US first, apparently. I've never been charged roaming and had ccf enables while abroad, in some cases enabling after leaving canada. But there are reports that they might bill for it, even though that doesn't make sense to me. So, if possible, enable the forwarding before you leave the country and do an all calls forward instead of conditional.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 plus
    Carrier(s)
    FIDO
    Feedback Score
    Oh, one part I just noticed. OP asked about enabling CF while in the US. Make sure you forward all calls and not conditional call forwarding. Enabling, CCF, might incur roaming charges because the calls route to the US first, apparently. I've never been charged roaming and had ccf enables while abroad, in some cases enabling after leaving canada. But there are reports that they might bill for it, even though that doesn't make sense to me. So, if possible, enable the forwarding before you leave the country and do an all calls forward instead of conditional.
    I have visual voice mail and what I read on Fido is CCF won't work.

CCF ( conditional call forwarding ) does not work if you have voicemail you will only be able to do unconditonal call fowarding.

If you wish to do CCF and you dont have Voicemail

If out of reach
    Activate
    *62*[10 digits]#
    Deactivate completely
    ##62#

If no reply
    Activate
    *61*[10 digits]#
    Deactivate completely
    ##61#

Is this time? Also how do I turn on ucf?

Thanks

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    That looks right to me, and yes fido doesn't support ccf and voicemail.

Best to test forwarding to a local number to confirm that dial code.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 plus
    Carrier(s)
    FIDO
    Feedback Score
    That looks right to me, and yes fido doesn't support ccf and voicemail.

Best to test forwarding to a local number to confirm that dial code.
    The *62*phone# gives me an error. (Error performing request unknown error)

But going into the iphone and turning on call forwarding and leaving the iphone on, calls from a different number to the iphone get forwarded to the forwarded number and the iphone doesn't have any rings when forwarding. So,hopefully I don't get charged this way when in the US.

Thanks

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by john99 View Post
    The *62*phone# gives me an error. (Error performing request unknown error)

But going into the iphone and turning on call forwarding and leaving the iphone on, calls from a different number to the iphone get forwarded to the forwarded number and the iphone doesn't have any rings when forwarding. So,hopefully I don't get charged this way when in the US.

Thanks
    If you use the phone settings that will set the unconditional forwarding for you, which is what you want.

Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    You can do CCF only if you remove / exclude VM from your Rogers / Fido line. A lot of work for a single trip.
    As for long distance, call forwarding will follow the rules of your plan / features...so if you have US LD, you're good. Only TELUS doesn't consistently abide by this.

Feedback Score
    go to fido.ca support / call forwarding: everything you need to know is there and it is correct there, and how to do it and the proper codes.