Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Traveling to Canada from US? What are my prepaid options?

Device(s)
    Note 3, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Traveling to Canada from US? What are my prepaid options?

I will be heading to Ontario for a weekend. I will need mostly data for picture messaging and using skype. I will say I need about a 1 or 2GB. How is Wind Mobile? Do they sell preactivated sim to the US?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Maybe its too late to get back to you now. But Wind mobile's connection is really a no go. Me personally think their coverage area is not as much as they stated on their website

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    For whatever reason, it's uncommon for prepaid providers to offer much data in Canada. Many don't offer any data at all, and those that do don't offer much.

Koodo prepaid is likely your best bet. Koodo is an MVNO owned by Telus, one of the MNOs. The SIM costs $10, but then you get a $10 credit on your prepaid account. Your base prepaid plan is $15 with unlimited messaging, and then you can add one of three "Data Booster" options: $10/100MB, $20/500MB, or $30/1GB.
    Lumia 950 XL dual-SIM -- SIM slot 1: Rogers (small business flex data) -- SIM slot 2: Public Mobile ($120/12GB/90 day plan)

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    If T-Mobile works for you here in the US, they have pretty much the best & easiest international roaming plan period... $.20 voice, unlimited throttled data with speed boosts you can pick up. Depending on how much you go to Canada, it's probably easier than dealing with SIMs -- that is, if they work for you at home... I wish the other providers would do this since T-Mo won't work for me. It proves that all the carriers gouge huge amounts on international roaming.

N

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Hello. Same story as OP - I live in USA and going to visit Montreal. I have an unlocked iPhone 6 and would like to use it in Montreal. Can anyone suggest how I can get set up for cell and data service and which service provider I should use? Is it possible to have this set up in the USA or do I have to take a taxi from the Montreal airport to the nearest wireless carrier store to do this? Looking for ideas. Thanks in advance!

Device(s)
    Moto G LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Going to Halifax, NS for almost 2 weeks in July. Looking at Rogers, Koodo and Virgin. Any of these have better coverage or benefits over the other? Looking to minimize costs.

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    AT&T gophone has a $55/mo plan that includes 1GB of US data. Voice roaming in Canada is 1 cent per minute including for calls back to the U.S. Data roaming is $25 per GB.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Device(s)
    Moto G LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks, mch. So, $80+ . I think I could get equivalent data with free incoming calls on Rogers or Koodo for $65 CDN. I have a Google voice number I plan to use. Good to know, though. Thanks.

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Quote Originally Posted by gweeper View Post
    Thanks, mch. So, $80+ . I think I could get equivalent data with free incoming calls on Rogers or Koodo for $65 CDN. I have a Google voice number I plan to use. Good to know, though. Thanks.
    Questions:
    * will you mostly be calling U.S. numbers or Canadian numbers?
    * how are you planning to use Google voice (hangouts?)
    * are you planning to use the phone in geographically distant cities or just one city?

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    Questions:
    * will you mostly be calling U.S. numbers or Canadian numbers?
    * how are you planning to use Google voice (hangouts?)
    * are you planning to use the phone in geographically distant cities or just one city?
    How much data, voice, and SMS do you intend to consume in Canada? That makes a difference to what we recommend to you.
    Sent from my Lumia via the HoFo Windows Phone app

Device(s)
    Moto G LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I will be in Halifax mostly, except when traveling to and from. I plan to use Wifi as much as possible but am not sure I will always be near it. I am thinking 1GB of data should be more than enough. I could forward my GV number to the local number, or perhaps use hangouts if the connection is good enough. Any calling will be mostly to/from home in the US with perhaps occasional other calls to folks I will be traveling with (with us numbers)

Device(s)
    Moto G LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I just read that GV forwarding to Canadian cell numbers doesn't work. Can anyone confirm? If true, I guess I need to revise my strategy a little. Maybe just "paygo" minutes and a data addon. Calls using hangouts.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I just read that GV forwarding to Canadian cell numbers doesn't work. Can anyone confirm? If true, I guess I need to revise my strategy a little. Maybe just "paygo" minutes and a data addon. Calls using hangouts.

Good info on using Google Voice in Canada here:

Creditwalk.ca has a good write up on how to do it. Google "Creditwalk.ca set up Google Voice in Canada".
    (Someone else can link it without the spaces...I cant)
    www . creditwalk . ca / free-long-distance-set-up-google-voice-in-canada /

Use the Voxox service mentioned to set up a free number that will forward to a Canadian number.

Forward Google Voice -> Voxox Number
    Forward Voxox Number -> Canadian Number

extra step but very easy to do.

Good luck.

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Indeed. That is true. You could get around this using a third party for forwarding, but two layers of forwarding isn't the most reliable thing.

Also note charges for long distance if you use voice on a Canadian prepaid to call a U.S. number.

Device(s)
    Moto G LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks folks. Yes, multiple forwards would introduce a lot of latency. Was trying to keep this simple. Pay as you go minutes with 1GB of data add-on is looking like the way to go.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast