Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Can The Aquos save Sprint?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MuSmooth View Post
    The Aquos is that mid-level phone you're talking about. Why more of them? I say quality over quantity.
    Its still gonna be between $200 and $300 range. I think more phones sub $200 will help a lot.

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Sprint needs something similar to the Nokia 520... A very solid entry level smartphone that's 150 out the door.

N

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakezula84 View Post
    Its still gonna be between $200 and $300 range. I think more phones sub $200 will help a lot.
    You are incorrect. It will be just $150 and thats a out of contract price which is amazing. Or free + 10x$24.

Everyone dismissing this phone and Sprint should read this: https://medium.com/@MuSmooth/hacking...r-429b98dbd517

Feedback Score
    You are incorrect. It will be just $150 and thats a out of contract price which is amazing. Or free + 10x$24.

Everyone dismissing this phone and Sprint should read this: https://medium.com/@MuSmooth/hacking...r-429b98dbd517
    It will be $240 on Sprint and $150 on Boost and Virgin.

Which means it will be more expensive then the cheapest smartphone we carry new which is the Hydro Vibe for $230. And no one is willing to pay $230 upfront for that guy.
    Last edited by Shakezula84; 08-26-2014 at 05:04 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NGeorge View Post
    Sprint needs something similar to the Nokia 520... A very solid entry level smartphone that's 150 out the door.

N
    Thats exactly what I mean. Nice, cheap phones. Something T-Mobile has totally embraced.

Feedback Score
    Long time occasional lurker from my personal account (Can't remember the screename) but posting here from the Mu account.

We know Sprint just changed its pricing. But what about The Aquos? If marketed right do you think it can make a dent in the market? It seems as if a lot of people here and Sprint Users are just tired of Sprint altogether, but that phone is really beautiful and very affordable. Could it still be the next big thing?

As a Sprint exclusive, do you think it has a chance to turn everything around for Sprint. If not, what other measures do you think Mr Claure and Son should do?

I wrote a piece about all of this for those interested in stuff like this, you can google "musmooth medium" and pick the article "Revolutionary New Sound Technology Allowing For All-Screen Object To Actually Exist".
    The Aquos is not going to fix Sprint's network shortcomings.

Feedback Score
    It's a foolish suggestion that any one phone can rescue Sprint. Who's going to rescue Sprint from itself? Just look at "framily" marketing and why was nobody fired before that was ever even introduced? Sure Sprint needs to improve it's network, but the real problem is the rotten core at the center of Sprint that needs to be exorcised.

Device(s)
    pixel xl
    Carrier(s)
    google fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam73065 View Post
    It's a foolish suggestion that any one phone can rescue Sprint. Who's going to rescue Sprint from itself? Just look at "framily" marketing and why was nobody fired before that was ever even introduced? Sure Sprint needs to improve it's network, but the real problem is the rotten core at the center of Sprint that needs to be exorcised.
    sadly, I was looking and thinking the same thing..

no one phone can't save a wireless carrier;

that's like a certain state, gambling on an uprating, *based on the type of vehicles* (UE devices) that can successfully commute it's unfinished highways (networks), & ignoring the vehicles that can't..

*but* really knowing the highways (networks) one will have to commute on, gives one an edge on their commute via their vehicle (UE device)..

a dumbed down & left in the dark consumer, is a frustrated one, that will leave that *&^%$ behind..

sprint needs to stop assuming that most or all of their subscribers aren't savvy, & think that most would invite a more open knowledge base..

to treat them otherwise (those that know better), is insulting..
    Last edited by j'vai; 08-27-2014 at 04:05 PM.
    >:-,

“There's no benchmark for how life's "supposed" to happen. There is no ideal world for you to wait around for. The world is always just what it is now, it's up to you how you respond to it.”
    ― Isaac Marion, Warm Bodies

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I agree... Whatever happened when Forsee took over still isn't gone from Sprint. I sometimes wonder what would have happened had Bill Esrey just got a slap on the wrist for taking bad tax advice vs. getting the boot - - it seemed like Sprint held their own quite well in the 80's and 90's right up until Esrey left - - none of this started until Forsee took over, and it didn't change under Hesse... We'll see if it changes finally...

N

Feedback Score
    and...

I agree... Whatever happened when Forsee took over still isn't gone from Sprint. I sometimes wonder what would have happened had Bill Esrey just got a slap on the wrist for taking bad tax advice vs. getting the boot - - it seemed like Sprint held their own quite well in the 80's and 90's right up until Esrey left - - none of this started until Forsee took over, and it didn't change under Hesse... We'll see if it changes finally...
    N
    I absolutely don't wish to start a "Sprint vs Nextel" discussion, merely agreeing with and adding some anecdotal info to the two quotes above. I know a superb network engineer who was with Nextel for years, then with Sprint, then with Ericsson when Sprint contracted out their networks, & has worked on both the RF and switching sides of the networks. That person's take on it is that becoming a Sprint employee was a real let-down compared to working for Nextel. Apparently there was a genuine "get-er-done and do it right" type of esprit-de-corps in the Nextel culture that is completely absent in the Sprint culture. The apparent lack of a similar esprit-de-corps at Sprint would speak to Sam73065's "...rotten core at the center of Sprint that needs to be exorcised."

My personal experience in my twelve continuous years as a customer of Nextel > Sprint-Nextel > Sprint is that all of my interactions with the original Nextel culture WRT network issues were good customer experiences, whereas all of my interactions with Sprint WRT network issues have been uniformly bad, i.e. they left me feeling exhausted and dissatisfied because there has never been any improvement or even closure/reasonable explanation. I don't know anything about Esrey, but I do know that Donahue made Nextel one of the most desirable companies to work for, years running, and I suspect that had Donahue taken over the merged Sprint-Nextel, (a) the networks (regardless of technology chosen) would be competitive and humming, and (b) Sprint forums wouldn't be the 90% "bi+ch sessions" they have been for the past ten years.

Getting back to the OP's question, IMO the Aquos won't make even a dent in Sprint's negative perceptions and customer losses. Why? Because, as the oft-repeated paraphrase goes "It's the network, stupid!". Sprint is by far it's own worst enemy...as viewed from the outside there definitely appears to be an internal culture that has a lot of toxic elements, or Sprint would be doing a lot better than it is now, given all of the time they've had to utilize their vast spectrum resources and the money they've spent so far on Network Vision, LTE, etc.

So it appears that a "diseased Sprint culture" has prevented them from creating a competitive network, which in turn creates a more-or-less continuous stream of customer dissatisfaction and high churn, which inherently creates an omnipresent negative perception in the marketplace. Common sense tells you that one slightly-less-expensive whizbang model of phone could never overcome the last-place network performance Sprint has. Son himself stated publicly that Sprint has a "loser mentality" and "miserable networks". I'm wondering how on earth just another smartphone model could overcome all that.

IMO, besides a new CEO, a new culture, and a network that is truly competitive, they need to change the name, eliminating all references to the word "Sprint". If anything, T-Mo should have bought Sprint.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

N
    Customer service was worse than horrible back then--like worse than Comcast horrible--and the network was even flakier than during the NV transition. Under Esrey, Sprint started raising retail prices (by eliminating lower-priced, lower usage plans) at the same time as they made contracts all but mandatory. Esrey also pushed for a merger with Worldcom, which regulators blocked.

They're both cut from the same cloth--always looking toward the next quarter, and not much farther. One is hardly different than the other.

Device(s)
    Lg flip phone
    Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    I personally would not have sprint now or ever and if they offered free service for the rest of my life I would not have them. I worked for them and internally they are a bunch of stupid idiots. Upper managment tells you one thing and two days later change their mind. The service is horrible and they do not seem to get it that they need to fix the network poste haste and all the while taking peoples money and not providing service.

I have t mobile and love him and just added a samsung tablet which my partners loves.

Go with T mobile and forget sprint.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    An Android phone with slightly less "border" around the screen than normal? I don't see this saving Sprint.

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    An Android phone with slightly less "border" around the screen than normal? I don't see this saving Sprint.

via the HoFo App
    I don't think it will 'save' Sprint. . But I think it's a step in the right direction towards Sprint getting their hands on exclusive high end phones that no one else can offer - - similar to what they used to do before around 2007...

Although it'll probably never get to the level that it once was of people thinking only Sprint had these phones due to some super special 'PCS' network, it can only help... And for whatever reason the Japanese companies, who do make some awesome phones, don't export them to the US nearly as much as the Koreans - - so it'll be nice to have some additional options - - as well as Sony finally releasing a CDMA phone (the next Xperia is rumored for Sprint) which I *will* be getting as I've always loved Sony's phones but stuck on CDMA...

So no.. It won't save Sprint. Fixing their network will. But you can't tell me it's not a step in the right direction...
    N

Device(s)
    iPhones, Samsung, Motorola.
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised

Historically Sprint used to get some pretty snazzy phones and exclusives. It seemed to be a good gimmick to get customers.
    The average person doesn't know what we who participate in the forums know.

Sprint still appeals to the value consumer (myself included). Yes T-Mobile is cheap and gets me 20Mb/s at home, but has no highway coverage to speak of. T-Mobile chooses not to provide roaming in many areas (including places where AT&T has signal). My Sprint phone at least roams on Verizon when nothing else is available. Some of us carry a phone, in part, to call a tow truck (etc). You simply cannot use a T-Mobile phone for this purpose (at least not in my home state of Oregon). You can dependably use a Sprint phone most anywhere any other cell phone would work. That piece is huge...

-Dan
    ---
    http://pages.uoregon.edu/dalbrich
    Eugene, OR -- Pacific Northwest

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast