Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile to throttle users who use unlimited LTE data for data-hungry tasks

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tmotk View Post
    T-Mobile will have to take some care in implementing something like this when handling pre-simpleChoice grandfathered data plans. The version of the T&Cs that apply to each customer (as made clear by T-Mobile at the top of the page Cam of tmonews.com linked to) depends on when a customer activated (or last renewed a contract).
    Well, it may tick customers off but they have no commitment to continue to support grandfathered plans. Even the first Terms and Conditions document specifies that they can modify the agreement at any time as long as they provide notice and allow you to cancel your service without penalty.

As far as torrenting goes, it does specify that you cannot use the service to engage in any illegal activity. So the only people who may have an argument are those who 1) are on an old plan and 2) use torrents only for legal downloads. Probably a very small slice of their customer base.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shinkinrui View Post
    But just as a point of discussion, wouldn't your continued use of the services after the terms and conditions were changed constitute your acceptance of those new T&C's? I mostly agree with your post, but at the same time someone using a 6.99 t-zones SOC to download 50 gigabytes of movies per month and trying to say that the "new" 6-year-old T&C's don't apply to them would dip into the unreasonable.
    TMobile clearly says at the top of the current T&Cs web page to click the link of the older T&Cs version depending on when activated or last renewed. To see this, just follow the link in Cam's article.

Device(s)
    Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    Tzones never included tethering and tethering has been blocked on it before.

The screenshot says that it will affect those with Unlimited High Speed Data. It doesn't mention anything about the plans being old or new:

That's not T-Mobile's problem.

According to the screenshot if you're engaged in tethering and you're a high data user, they do care about that. We'll see how effective they are at detecting it after August 17th.
    Not sure why the article said this only applies to the $70 unlimited plan.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by raptir View Post
    As far as torrenting goes, it does specify that you cannot use the service to engage in any illegal activity. So the only people who may have an argument are those who 1) are on an old plan and 2) use torrents only for legal downloads. Probably a very small slice of their customer base.
    Torrenting may have already been prohibited in all the old T&Cs. I don't torrent or care about it, but I do care about using 5 - 20 GB per month through my laptop for web browsing and HTTP/FTP downloads on Total Internet that actually has a history of allowing data cards and wired USB tethering.

Device(s)
    Lg flip phone
    Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kirt View Post
    I don't see how they are going to effectively do this. The biggest abusers seem to change SIMs monthly (to a new discounted SIM). By the time they are caught, they won't be there anymore.
    well one way they can stop this possibly is use the imei and that should stop the data hogs. I use wifi from my house all the time and live within my data useage. And my phone is not connected to my head or my eyes glued to the screen. And speaking of being glued to the screeen, when I am driving you can always tell when someone is their phone, they drive too slow and glad south carolina or will put a stop to that nonsense by charging high fines.....aint that great?

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    I do care about using 5 - 20 GB per month through my laptop for web browsing and HTTP/FTP downloads on Total Internet that actually has a history of allowing data cards and wired USB tethering.
    Even the oldest terms and conditions on there include a section about "improper uses" and discusses adversely or negatively impacting the network. So if they consider your 5-20 GB per month of use as an improper use, then they will notify you. Fortunately it appears they will warn you stepping up to a full throttle.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 64GB, iPad Air 32GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    The cell companies sure would like you to think it is though.
    Hopefully Verizon's network getting clogged has caused a change of heart. Both them and AT&T were going to go down the same path when they ended funding/expansion for their respective wireline networks Fio's and Uverse.

^HSPA+ 42mbps---------------------------------------------- ^LTE

Device(s)
    Tmobile Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    To me this sounds like a very carrier move. Instead of the last Uncarrier event where Neville stated:

" Here at T-Mobile we have been closely watching these data trends, embracing the change and have taken a fundamentally different approach to building out our network over the last year and a half. The old carrier networks from AT&T and Verizon are choking on today’s world of data-driven mobile broadband communications. Perhaps that’s why they limit data usage or charge overages. But it’s not in our DNA to act like those old phone utilities. Their networks are based on a dial-tone paradigm. Ours was designed differently. We call this being designed data-strong".

So it looks like there DNA has changed 3 months later. Just wonder what's going to change next.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    Even the oldest terms and conditions on there include a section about "improper uses" and discusses adversely or negatively impacting the network. So if they consider your 5-20 GB per month of use as an improper use, then they will notify you. Fortunately it appears they will warn you stepping up to a full throttle.
    I did mean that as the total usage, including on-phone use, but most of that by tethering. I don't think they should call this adversely impacting the network considering all the streaming people are doing on their handsets. For an unlimited plan 5-20 gb total per month seems pretty tame to me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mardukeme View Post
    To me this sounds like a very carrier move. Instead of the last Uncarrier event where Neville stated:

" Here at T-Mobile we have been closely watching these data trends, embracing the change and have taken a fundamentally different approach to building out our network over the last year and a half. The old carrier networks from AT&T and Verizon are choking on today’s world of data-driven mobile broadband communications. Perhaps that’s why they limit data usage or charge overages. But it’s not in our DNA to act like those old phone utilities. Their networks are based on a dial-tone paradigm. Ours was designed differently. We call this being designed data-strong".

So it looks like there DNA has changed 3 months later. Just wonder what's going to change next.

After Uncarrier comes Recarrier.

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    After Uncarrier comes Recarrier.

Finally, Nocarrier

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mardukeme View Post

I don't see what's wrong with throttling users who are breaking the terms and agreements they signed when getting tmobile service. Tmobile should have enforced this a long time ago...

via the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    For an unlimited plan 5-20 gb total per month seems pretty tame to me.
    If you're lucky, maybe it will seem tame to them too. We'll know more after the 17th.

Feedback Score
    My post on another thread:

There was thread on xda on what data speed everyone was getting on their Nexus 5. Some users have gone over 20 to 40 gigs a month on T-Mobile or Verizon!!

So that's that....

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast