Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile to throttle users who use unlimited LTE data for data-hungry tasks

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile to throttle users who use unlimited LTE data for data-hungry tasks

Article link: http://www.tmonews.com/2014/08/t-mob...r-torrentsp2p/

I feel as though the throttling should occur on a site-by-site basis. Just because one user is using more bandwidth than others doesn't necessarily mean that others will be negatively affected.

Whenever I want to upload a video to YouTube or, more recently, Dailymotion, I typically upload things over my phone's Internet connection. My home tower is hardly ever loaded (at least whenever I do any speedtests). In that case, the throttling mentioned in that article, to me, shouldn't be necessary.

And I imagine that the throttling would be to 128Kbps, just like everything else.

Not a very Un-carrier move if true.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by besweeet View Post
    Article link: http://www.tmonews.com/2014/08/t-mob...r-torrentsp2p/

I feel as though the throttling should occur on a site-by-site basis. Just because one user is using more bandwidth than others doesn't necessarily mean that others will be negatively affected.

Whenever I want to upload a video to YouTube or, more recently, Dailymotion, I typically upload things over my phone's Internet connection. My home tower is hardly ever loaded (at least whenever I do any speedtests). In that case, the throttling mentioned in that article, to me, shouldn't be necessary.

And I imagine that the throttling would be to 128Kbps, just like everything else.

Not a very Un-carrier move if true.
    I can see both sides on this. If T-Mobile continues to allow unlimited usage, then their network will take the same hit that AT&T's did back in 2009. They are just trying to prevent that. A mobile phone can't substitute for one's own internet provider.

I can see the consumer getting pissed because technically this is a "limit" to their unlimited plan. Perhaps ALL these carriers need to stop calling them unlimited data plans, and come up with something more accurate.

Feedback Score
    This isn't throttling heavy data users, it's throttling people who are breaking the terms and conditions of use. You can argue that torrenting shouldn't be against the terms of use, but it is and you agreed to it when you signed up for your plan. They could cut them off completely, I'd say throttling is a mild punishment for it.

Fair, next.

Device(s)
    Android
    Carrier(s)
    -T--Mobile USA|Get More
    Feedback Score
    Its not just P2P, its also tethering. I have an issue with that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Antenna View Post
    Its not just P2P, its also tethering. I have an issue with that.
    Tethering outside of the limits of your plan.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Well, we knew this would happen sooner or later. Many people have been around here long enough to remember when the old "unlimited" plans became limited and T-Mobile came out with new "really, for sure, cross our hearts, unlimited" plans. Now, we discover that those weren't so unlimited after all.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    I don't see the problem with T-mobile throttling people who break it's agreement they signed with tmobile.

Don't pirate/stream torrents and use the tethering you pay for. I find it funny when users complain that they pay for 2gb of tethering but want to use 10gb.

via the HoFo App

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I don't see how they are going to effectively do this. The biggest abusers seem to change SIMs monthly (to a new discounted SIM). By the time they are caught, they won't be there anymore.
    I don't feel like a thread-killer...

Feedback Score
    They're not changing anything in their terms. Just enforcing them. Good for them.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by raptir View Post
    This isn't throttling heavy data users, it's throttling people who are breaking the terms and conditions of use. You can argue that torrenting shouldn't be against the terms of use, but it is and you agreed to it when you signed up for your plan. They could cut them off completely, I'd say throttling is a mild punishment for it.

Fair, next.
    I completely agree. I don't understand why people think their cell phone is a replacement for wireline internet, to tether and download torrents. That is SPECIFICALLY excluded. I'm glad they're cracking down.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3
    Castrol EDGE 0W-20 is my drug of choice.

Primary: iPhone 11
    Secondary: TracFones: iPhone 6s+ [AT&T] & iPhone XS [Verizon]
    Mobile Broadband: ZTE Z917 LTE hotspot (5GB for $10) + iPad Mini 4 w/ T-Mobile LTE

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLand_BoY View Post
    I completely agree. I don't understand why people think their cell phone is a replacement for wireline internet, to tether and download torrents. That is SPECIFICALLY excluded. I'm glad they're cracking down.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3
    Second this. Wireless is not a wireline replacement.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint $50 iPhone Plan
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by atomic50 View Post
    Second this. Wireless is not a wireline replacement.
    As a side note, as 2G is refarmed, it would be a great move to get into the home Internet business, especially in areas where Comcast has or has a near monopoly. Even if it's 5-10Mbps, they could drastically undercut Comcast and help improve perception about the T-Mobile network. Let's face it, they'll probably have a large excess of bandwidth in rural areas, hence part of the reason why they've waited so long to refarm it, not many people using the network in those areas.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I am curious: where exactly does T-Mobile mention you can't download torrents/p2p in their TOS? Why would they care what the user downloads? Isn't that like telling me I can have peanut butter on my sandwich, but not jelly?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MattMJB0188 View Post
    I am curious: where exactly does T-Mobile mention you can't download torrents/p2p in their TOS? Why would they care what the user downloads? Isn't that like telling me I can have peanut butter on my sandwich, but not jelly?
    http://www.t-mobile.com/Templates/Po...ons&print=true

Item 18.

The reason they care is that it's an odd usage pattern for a device. Downloading a file isn't the issue, it's the fact that you can leave the torrent uploading for months and keep maxing out your upstream connection for that entire time.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint $50 iPhone Plan
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by raptir View Post
    http://www.t-mobile.com/Templates/Po...ons&print=true

Item 18.

The reason they care is that it's an odd usage pattern for a device. Downloading a file isn't the issue, it's the fact that you can leave the torrent uploading for months and keep maxing out your upstream connection for that entire time.
    Do they care about tethering for non-p2p (especially if you're using one of the main APN's instead of pcweb)? I tether because Verizon throttles Netflix and it's almost unusable at times.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast