Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 117

Thread: T-Mobile to throttle users who use unlimited LTE data for data-hungry tasks

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    3,145
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0

    T-Mobile to throttle users who use unlimited LTE data for data-hungry tasks

    Article link: http://www.tmonews.com/2014/08/t-mob...r-torrentsp2p/

    I feel as though the throttling should occur on a site-by-site basis. Just because one user is using more bandwidth than others doesn't necessarily mean that others will be negatively affected.

    Whenever I want to upload a video to YouTube or, more recently, Dailymotion, I typically upload things over my phone's Internet connection. My home tower is hardly ever loaded (at least whenever I do any speedtests). In that case, the throttling mentioned in that article, to me, shouldn't be necessary.

    And I imagine that the throttling would be to 128Kbps, just like everything else.

    Not a very Un-carrier move if true.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    453
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by besweeet View Post
    Article link: http://www.tmonews.com/2014/08/t-mob...r-torrentsp2p/

    I feel as though the throttling should occur on a site-by-site basis. Just because one user is using more bandwidth than others doesn't necessarily mean that others will be negatively affected.

    Whenever I want to upload a video to YouTube or, more recently, Dailymotion, I typically upload things over my phone's Internet connection. My home tower is hardly ever loaded (at least whenever I do any speedtests). In that case, the throttling mentioned in that article, to me, shouldn't be necessary.

    And I imagine that the throttling would be to 128Kbps, just like everything else.

    Not a very Un-carrier move if true.
    I can see both sides on this. If T-Mobile continues to allow unlimited usage, then their network will take the same hit that AT&T's did back in 2009. They are just trying to prevent that. A mobile phone can't substitute for one's own internet provider.

    I can see the consumer getting pissed because technically this is a "limit" to their unlimited plan. Perhaps ALL these carriers need to stop calling them unlimited data plans, and come up with something more accurate.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    324
    Feedback Score
    0
    This isn't throttling heavy data users, it's throttling people who are breaking the terms and conditions of use. You can argue that torrenting shouldn't be against the terms of use, but it is and you agreed to it when you signed up for your plan. They could cut them off completely, I'd say throttling is a mild punishment for it.

    Fair, next.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    The 909, Southern California
    Posts
    9,949
    Device(s)
    Android
    Carrier(s)
    -T--Mobile USA|Get More
    Feedback Score
    0
    Its not just P2P, its also tethering. I have an issue with that.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    324
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Antenna View Post
    Its not just P2P, its also tethering. I have an issue with that.
    Tethering outside of the limits of your plan.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    15,843
    Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Well, we knew this would happen sooner or later. Many people have been around here long enough to remember when the old "unlimited" plans became limited and T-Mobile came out with new "really, for sure, cross our hearts, unlimited" plans. Now, we discover that those weren't so unlimited after all.
    Donald Newcomb

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    694
    Feedback Score
    0
    I don't see the problem with T-mobile throttling people who break it's agreement they signed with tmobile.

    Don't pirate/stream torrents and use the tethering you pay for. I find it funny when users complain that they pay for 2gb of tethering but want to use 10gb.


    via the HoFo App

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,443
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    I don't see how they are going to effectively do this. The biggest abusers seem to change SIMs monthly (to a new discounted SIM). By the time they are caught, they won't be there anymore.
    I don't feel like a thread-killer...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    244
    Feedback Score
    0
    They're not changing anything in their terms. Just enforcing them. Good for them.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    10,381
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by raptir View Post
    This isn't throttling heavy data users, it's throttling people who are breaking the terms and conditions of use. You can argue that torrenting shouldn't be against the terms of use, but it is and you agreed to it when you signed up for your plan. They could cut them off completely, I'd say throttling is a mild punishment for it.

    Fair, next.
    I completely agree. I don't understand why people think their cell phone is a replacement for wireline internet, to tether and download torrents. That is SPECIFICALLY excluded. I'm glad they're cracking down.

    Sent from my Galaxy Note 3
    Castrol EDGE 0W-20 is my drug of choice.

    Primary: iPhone 11
    Secondary: TracFones: iPhone 6s+ [AT&T] & iPhone XS [Verizon]
    Mobile Broadband: ZTE Z917 LTE hotspot (5GB for $10) + iPad Mini 4 w/ T-Mobile LTE

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Socal
    Posts
    2,643
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLand_BoY View Post
    I completely agree. I don't understand why people think their cell phone is a replacement for wireline internet, to tether and download torrents. That is SPECIFICALLY excluded. I'm glad they're cracking down.

    Sent from my Galaxy Note 3
    Second this. Wireless is not a wireline replacement.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Baltimore area
    Posts
    1,363
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint $50 iPhone Plan
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by atomic50 View Post
    Second this. Wireless is not a wireline replacement.
    As a side note, as 2G is refarmed, it would be a great move to get into the home Internet business, especially in areas where Comcast has or has a near monopoly. Even if it's 5-10Mbps, they could drastically undercut Comcast and help improve perception about the T-Mobile network. Let's face it, they'll probably have a large excess of bandwidth in rural areas, hence part of the reason why they've waited so long to refarm it, not many people using the network in those areas.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    453
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    I am curious: where exactly does T-Mobile mention you can't download torrents/p2p in their TOS? Why would they care what the user downloads? Isn't that like telling me I can have peanut butter on my sandwich, but not jelly?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    324
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MattMJB0188 View Post
    I am curious: where exactly does T-Mobile mention you can't download torrents/p2p in their TOS? Why would they care what the user downloads? Isn't that like telling me I can have peanut butter on my sandwich, but not jelly?
    http://www.t-mobile.com/Templates/Po...ons&print=true

    Item 18.

    The reason they care is that it's an odd usage pattern for a device. Downloading a file isn't the issue, it's the fact that you can leave the torrent uploading for months and keep maxing out your upstream connection for that entire time.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Baltimore area
    Posts
    1,363
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint $50 iPhone Plan
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by raptir View Post
    http://www.t-mobile.com/Templates/Po...ons&print=true

    Item 18.

    The reason they care is that it's an odd usage pattern for a device. Downloading a file isn't the issue, it's the fact that you can leave the torrent uploading for months and keep maxing out your upstream connection for that entire time.
    Do they care about tethering for non-p2p (especially if you're using one of the main APN's instead of pcweb)? I tether because Verizon throttles Netflix and it's almost unusable at times.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Verizon users who used to use gsm. Please look in here.
    By cbreze in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07-10-2009, 11:16 PM
  2. To V330 users who use Bluetooth
    By nullie in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-06-2005, 06:57 AM
  3. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-22-2002, 02:56 PM

Bookmarks