Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Samsung Galaxy Avant to be released on the 30th

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus (Space Gray, 64GB); Dell Venue 8 Pro Windows tablet
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Samsung Galaxy Avant to be released on the 30th

The G Avant is going to be released tomorrow, the 30th, as a sort of beginner's intro to the world of smartphones. It has a ton of cool features; one of which is the ability to do Remote Unlock. If you're unsure what this is, it's basically the ability to temporarily unlock the device for improved service if you're traveling overseas. I'm not really as liberty to discuss what all the other features are (I signed a non disclosure agreement) but if you search for the device on YT, you will find plenty of info about the phone. Trust me when I say it's a gorgeous addition to our Samsung lineup.

I don't know if anyone else mentioned this earlier but we have the Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 available in stores and online now too. It's an excellent upgrade from the 3 and graphics are really nice. Instead of that nasty matte finish on the back, it has sort of a soft textured feel to it if you can liken it to the Moto X. The latest Android update helped this tablet a LOT and it's much more responsive and conserving power-conscious. Definitely recommend you just take a look at it. I'll be the first to tell you, I hate Samsung crap and this device really impressed me.
    "Not all that glitters is gold, not all who wander are lost." ~ JR Tolkien
    "The best you can do for another is not just share your riches but prove to him his own." ~ Benjamin Disraeli

Feedback Score
    Will it come with MORE than four hour battery life? And maybe a responsive touch screen?

<GS3 on 4.3 sux so bad I dumped it and bought a Windows phone to play with>

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Lycamobile, Sprint, Tello, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    Will it come with MORE than four hour battery life? And maybe a responsive touch screen?

I got a Tab 3 and was pretty excited to have an LTE device, but I have to keep it on WCDMA Only as using LTE drains the battery like a fiend. Probably the distance to the tower, and it's a bummer as I get AMAZING speed tests on LTE. It's still fast without it, but still I wish I could use it.

Remote unlock is progress, sure, now how about STOP LOCKING in the first place. You already have the credit hold and collections for unpaid bills. Locking ensures that most used devices go in the landfill when they could have a chance to be repurposed on the other provider.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post

The battery life is 2000mAh but it has a built-in battery saver that automatically comes on if the phone remains untouched after like 5 minutes. I set up the demo in the store today and out of the box, it came with about 55% battery life on it and after plugging it in for like 3 minutes, it was already at 65% so quick charging is a definite feature. It only comes with 8GB of internal storage but of course that's expandable and the back has a soft touch pleather feel to it like the GN3. I would probably recommend this for beginner smartphone users as it does have the same amount of cool features as the other Samsung devices but it's no monster. 4.5" display so...food for though.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertabrae View Post
    I got a Tab 3 and was pretty excited to have an LTE device, but I have to keep it on WCDMA Only as using LTE drains the battery like a fiend. Probably the distance to the tower, and it's a bummer as I get AMAZING speed tests on LTE. It's still fast without it, but still I wish I could use it.

Remote unlock is progress, sure, now how about STOP LOCKING in the first place. You already have the credit hold and collections for unpaid bills. Locking ensures that most used devices go in the landfill when they could have a chance to be repurposed on the other provider.
    Yeah ya know like I said, I've only been working there for a little over a month but I know that TMobes recycles all of their devices because I'm the one who ships them back to the distribution center after trade in. So I'm there with you on what you're saying and I totally understand that. We're making progress and although that doesn't fix what has already happened, it will begin fixing things for us in the future. If you do go outside of the US, there is a way to unlock your device for the trip and all. You just have to go through customer care to do that. Sales reps can do that for you but eventually it just goes through the care center in the end.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Band 12 support isn't more interesting? :P

Feedback Score
    Looks very solid for an entry-level device. I'm not sure what I would recommend between it and the Moto G LTE. The Galaxy Avant has slightly more RAM, NFC and supports WiFi Calling, but qHD is unfortunate when the Moto G has a 720p screen. Motorola has also been better about keeping their budget phones up to date...

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have the Galaxy Light which has a smaller screen and lower resolution. However, the pixel density is similar to the Avant, at approximately 240 ppi. Honestly, I find the screen perfectly usable for everyday stuff.

I understand it's not the best screen out there, but it's more than good enough for me.

My only gripe is that an AMOLED screen would have been better than a TFT screen, as the TFT screen can get somewhat washed out in direct sunlight. I doubt that there are any other phones in the price range that use AMOLED screens.

Device(s)
    Pixel
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Anyone else been able to fiddle with one in-store. Didnt have much time to mess with it, but I couldnt seem to lock it to band 12. It gave some weird error that I haven't seen before. Seemed to lock into band 17 fine (both were listed in the engineering menu).

I'm not sure if it was just the display model I had, or whether it needed to be in LTE only mode first. I'd like to hear someone else's experience first, because as a $216 play thing*, it wouldn't be worth much if I can't lock it to band 12.

*Long-term backup phone and near-term band 12 searcher
    Last edited by ac21365; 07-30-2014 at 02:58 PM.

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    Device(s)
    Nexus 6, SHIELD TV, SHIELD K1, Acer Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by besweeet View Post
    Band 12 support isn't more interesting? :P
    Not while attached to that device, no.
    This is my signature. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my signature is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ac21365 View Post
    Anyone else been able to fiddle with one in-store. Didnt have much time to mess with it, but I couldnt seem to lock it to band 12. It gave some weird error that I haven't seen before. Seemed to lock into band 17 fine (both were listed in the engineering menu).

I'm not sure if it was just the display model I had, or whether it needed to be in LTE only mode first. I'd like to hear someone else's experience first, because as a $216 play thing*, it wouldn't be worth much if I can't lock it to band 12.

*Long-term backup phone and near-term band 12 searcher
    I plan to have a look at it today and use it just for what you described.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________

Speed achieved using T-Mobile Samsung GS2

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by terryjohnson16 View Post

Yes, we know. Unfortunately, it's very much a low-end device.

Device(s)
    Pixel
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
    Yes, we know. Unfortunately, it's very much a low-end device.
    Aye, wish it were a smidge cheaper, $216 is a wee bit steep for a backup device. Not a bad device if you need a midrange, future-proofed Samsung phone.

Personally, I'm gonna wait until the 720p scree version of theGalaxy F/Alpha/Prime device comes along, then I'll replace my G2.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ac21365 View Post
    Aye, wish it were a smidge cheaper, $216 is a wee bit steep for a backup device. Not a bad device if you need a midrange, future-proofed Samsung phone.

Personally, I'm gonna wait until the 720p scree version of theGalaxy F/Alpha/Prime device comes along, then I'll replace my G2.
    Yeah, I already replaced mine...but it was an AT&T G2. Just got onto T-Mo by buying the G3, but now if I want Band 12 support I'm gonna have to go buy the G4 next year.

Admittedly I probably would do so anyway, but maybe not if the G3 supported Band 12. Maybe.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast