Thread: Western Las Vegas

Device(s)
    Nexus 6, Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score

Western Las Vegas

I'm fed up with Straight Talk AT&T service. I'm really considering switching over to T-Mobile, especially with the new music streaming. I have a Nexus 4 which I would probably flash the LTE modem on.

From what I've read here, T-Mobile is pretty decent in Vegas, or at least certain areas. I don't think I've seen my area mentioned though, so I was hoping that my fellow Vegas residents could give me some enlightenment. I live near Rainbow and Cheyenne. I work near Buffalo and Charleston. Am I going to have decent coverage in these areas? AT&T's HSPA+ sucks here and I'm eager to ditch it, especially with all the BS that Straight Talk throws at me(disabling my data if I leave the area).

The downside is that I will be losing a lot of coverage in rural Utah, where my family still lives, but I guess I'll have wifi when I visit.
    Nexus 6 - 64 GB - Midnight Blue
    Nexus 4 - 16 GB - Black
    Nexus 9 - 32 GB - Black
    And my first: Samsung Galaxy Craptivate.

Feedback Score
    Sign up to borrow T-Mobile's iphone 5s for 7 days and take it everywhere you normally go for a week. Then you can decide for yourself.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6, Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    I tried that, but apparently T-Mobile will not send it to anywhere but your billing address. Nobody is at my house during the day to sign for it. I prefer to have stuff delivered to my office, where the receptionist signs for everything.

EDIT: I also don't really want a $700 hold hanging on my card at this time, as I also have about $3500 tied up by my local college while I wait for my residency application to be approved(all to get 14 more credits to sit for the CPA exam, lol).
    Last edited by bjacks12; 07-26-2014 at 06:15 PM.

Feedback Score
    Coverage is pretty good here in Vegas. I am in the Rainbow and Cheyenne area often near the Walmart shopping center and get fast LTE on my Note 3. Should be pretty good as well near Buffalo and Charleston. Rainbow/Craig, Cheyenne/Tenaya areas all have good coverage as well.

Maybe try out the Walmart $30 prepaid plan for a month to see how you like the service before you switch since the test drive is not an option for you. Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Nexus 6, Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Charger12 View Post
    Coverage is pretty good here in Vegas. I am in the Rainbow and Cheyenne area often near the Walmart shopping center and get fast LTE on my Note 3. Should be pretty good as well near Buffalo and Charleston. Rainbow/Craig, Cheyenne/Tenaya areas all have good coverage as well.

Maybe try out the Walmart $30 prepaid plan for a month to see how you like the service before you switch since the test drive is not an option for you. Hope this helps!

Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for.

Feedback Score
    Anytime!

Device(s)
    Samsung S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm on the eastern side but venture all over the valley. West side has very good coverage for LTE. East side has dead spots but is getting better.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6, Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Sounds good. I'm guessing Nevada has reasonable taxes compared to other states? I'm currently on ST so I'm not paying taxes. Do they still do credit checks after getting rid of the contracts? I imagine I'd be ok, although I did get my credit pulled a ton by one dealership in Henderson because I made them angry.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    West has some 4G only areas that can slow to a crawl during peak hours like Cheyenne and 215 and Charleston and 215

Feedback Score
    Taxes aren't too bad. A few bucks a month. If you bring your own phone and sign up for the prepaid monthly 4G LTE plans there is no credit check. There are also phones you can purchase.

If you go the simple choice postpaid route and finance a phone there is a credit check. For the most part the prepaid monthly 4G and postpaid simple choice plans are the same. Except the free text and web while roaming internationally which is a postpaid only feature.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Taxes aren't too bad. A few bucks a month. If you bring your own phone and sign up for the prepaid monthly 4G LTE plans there is no credit check. There are also phones you can purchase.

If you go the simple choice postpaid route and finance a phone there is a credit check. For the most part the prepaid monthly 4G and postpaid simple choice plans are the same. Except the free text and web while roaming internationally which is a postpaid only feature.

Aren't there Vegas taxes in the 6% range? Nothing like good oh California 20s... :#

Feedback Score
    Slightly less about 5% taxes at least on cell phone bills. My last bill was $75 ish and taxes were about 3.95 or so. Postpaid simple choice.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bjacks12 View Post
    Sounds good. I'm guessing Nevada has reasonable taxes compared to other states? I'm currently on ST so I'm not paying taxes. Do they still do credit checks after getting rid of the contracts?
    You can get the same plan on prepaid with no credit check and it includes the music streaming:

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans

Sales tax is only charged on the refill card if your state does that (and I'm not sure that Nevada does). If it does, you can buy your refills through a place like callingmart.com and still not pay any sales tax.

If you're looking at anything other than T-Mobile's $50 plan, MetroPCS's $60 plan would be the better bet. Exact same coverage on the T-mobile network, but truly unlimited data and no taxes.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6, Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherMcG View Post
    West has some 4G only areas that can slow to a crawl during peak hours like Cheyenne and 215 and Charleston and 215
    Thanks. I usually don't find myself that far south, so it shouldn't be a big issue to me.

That's good to know. I don't plan on financing a phone, as my Nexus 4 is only a year old, so I intend to get another year from it. I haven't left the country in a few years and don't plan to, so international roaming is not a biggie to me(though I will probably send texts to the Philippines).

Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    You can get the same plan on prepaid with no credit check and it includes the music streaming:

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans

Sales tax is only charged on the refill card if your state does that (and I'm not sure that Nevada does). If it does, you can buy your refills through a place like callingmart.com and still not pay any sales tax.

If you're looking at anything other than T-Mobile's $50 plan, MetroPCS's $60 plan would be the better bet. Exact same coverage on the T-mobile network, but truly unlimited data and no taxes.
    You know, I'm not sure if Nevada charges sales tax on prepaid cards. I know Straight Talk stopped collecting it from me when I moved here, but I'm not sure what the law is.

I guess my last concern regarding prepaid is that you reportedly don't receive even a receipt. This would be a problem for me as I turn in my proof of payment every month to my employer, who reimburses me $20 a month.

If I can address that issue, switching seems to be a no-brainer.