Page 1 of 39 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting October 1st 2014, Verizon may start throttled unlimited data users

Device(s)
    A
    Carrier(s)
    A
    Feedback Score

Angry Starting October 1st 2014, Verizon may start throttled unlimited data users

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/07/24...#disqus_thread

It looks like the end is finally near. It sure was fun while it lasted.

Device(s)
    Motorola V710 (Alltel Flash)
    Carrier(s)
    AllTel
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks for the scoop

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    See. I knew they can throttle

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    I wonder what "fulfilled your minimum contract term" means? Does this mean they only throttle people who can leave without ETF? Anyway, I'm pretty unconcerned. Their throttling methods are nowhere near heavy handed.

via the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    I wonder what "fulfilled your minimum contract term" means? Does this mean they only throttle people who can leave without ETF? Anyway, I'm pretty unconcerned. Their throttling methods are nowhere near heavy handed.

via the HoFo App
    Yeah, I think that means they are not going to change the terms of your contract, if you're still on contract. If they did, you could opt out without an ETF.

Feedback Score
    I wonder if they will close the loopholes to get a subsidized phone with unlimited data.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Well unlimited is still useful. You can leave your torrents running over night when your tower isn't getting hammered if you want to avoid throttling and use insane amounts of data. Unlimited data plans are going to tank in value. If you are going to sell your plan you better do it now before people start finding out.

Feedback Score
    The rules are fair for the most part. I am a bit worried on the 'based on cell site congestion' aspect - that is highly site dependent. You could have city site supplied with a 1Gbit ethernet port going into it...So I will be throttled when total site utilization hits 900Mbit of the 1Gbit total? 500Mbit? What percentage utilization will it be? What if the site is only fed by a 100mbit line?

Who knows what they're feeding the backhaul around here well enough to speak on the matter?

And yeah, most the hardcore people (which the unlimited holdouts are for the most part) will just switch to downloading torrents overnight instead of watching Netflix during primetime. Not a huge deal.
    Last edited by karpodiem; 07-25-2014 at 06:03 AM.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    This is actually great news. It means we can stick around with our unlimited plans sustainably.

I definitely prefer this to getting kicked altogether. Its like what sprint is doing, the throttle only happens on loaded cell sites which makes a ton more sense than throttling arbitrarily at 3-5gb (even if no one is using the cell site of the unlimited user in question) like AT&T does.
    iPhone XS:
    Verizon February UDP (Physical Sim)
    AT&T Unlimited Plus (E-SIM)

iPad Pro 10.5:
    Verizon February UDP

Rural Internet:
    Nighthawk HW1.0 LTE on AT&T Unlimited Plus
    Don’t cheap out on your cables!!!
    Years of struggle to get good speeds on a crap signal
    All solved with some quality LMR400 cables
    (went from 1-6mbps to 20-60mbps!!!)

AT&T Fiber

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Toad View Post
    I wonder if they will close the loopholes to get a subsidized phone with unlimited data.
    Edit: nevermind

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I wonder what the minimum contract thing is about. Perhaps it's if you're still under contract you aren't effected? Wonder if new contracts on unlimited lines still count?

Now I'm wondering if they will close the transfer upgrade loophole or the best buy loop hole for keeping unlimited and using your upgrade. I wonder if I should use the transfer upgrade trick now and get a new phone and then sell it so I can buy an iPhone 6 at full price in September or wait and see if the trick still works in September.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Brobot View Post
    This is actually great news. It means we can stick around with our unlimited plans sustainably.

I definitely prefer this to getting kicked altogether. Its like what sprint is doing, the throttle only happens on loaded cell sites which makes a ton more sense than throttling arbitrarily at 3-5gb (even if no one is using the cell site of the unlimited user in question) like AT&T does.
    Yes I agree. It is a lot better then having them just end it. It's a lot better than att throttling policy. I don't think our plans will be going anywhere anytime soon.

via the HoFo App

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Slighly offtopic but can you add a corporate discount to a brought VZW unlimited plan? If they tank in price after this then VZW might be cheaper than T-Mobile with discounts.

Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I thought they weren't allowed to throttle band 13 according to the FCC agreement?

Those who doesn't purchase phones at a subsidized plan won't be in a contract and thus will be subjected to this. I guess that's their way of payback for not locking into a contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Toad View Post
    Someone mentioned that a rep said the ability to transfer upgrades will be disabled this year.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WiredGuy View Post
    I thought they weren't allowed to throttle band 13 according to the FCC agreement?

Those who doesn't purchase phones at a subsidized plan won't be in a contract and thus will be subjected to this. I guess that's their way of payback for not locking into a contract.

Someone mentioned that a rep said the ability to transfer upgrades will be disabled this year.
    I thought so too I'm not sure though but if so It could be a repeat of Verizon Hotspot debacle when the FCC found them in violation of that.

Page 1 of 39 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast