Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Help me decide which phone

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Lumia 635, Nokia 6350
    Carrier(s)
    Mint, Tello, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joplin T-Mobile View Post
    LOL! The gs3 is FAR from being outdated and is just about perfect for the average phone user.... especially since the TMO prepaid version sells for $299 currently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    OP will probably explain why they are not the average phone user.

Sent from my XT1053 using the HoFo app

Device(s)
    HTC Evo 4G wimax with 3g Dial-Up
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    ^ i wasn't gonna reply to the comment because I didn't want to spark a debate. I will just say that light users, casual web browsing and basic apps won't have a problem with the gs3. I'm not exactly a light user.

On an average day I have my tether app running, spotify, and sometimes my torrent app all running in the background while multi tasking between apps I have open on my phone that I'm pulling info from and various documents open on my iPad that I'm editing. Or I'm editing php and html on my web server through my tethered iPad and testing my website out on my phone. My gs3 can't keep up. I could just use a laptop but I like to travel light since I'm on the road a lot and my real job issues a laptop (that can't be used for personal projects) and I don't want to carry 2 laptops on me.

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    Device(s)
    Nexus 6, SHIELD TV, SHIELD K1, Acer Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, doing that much, 3 GB of RAM might be a little more helpful, as well as a couple more cores. The GS5 is only 2 GB, but has 2 more (faster) cores than the GS3. The Galaxy Note 3 and LG G3 have both a fast quad core and 3 GB of RAM, those are probably the safer bets.
    This is my signature. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my signature is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Mint, Tello, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 50 Proof View Post
    ^ i wasn't gonna reply to the comment because I didn't want to spark a debate. I will just say that light users, casual web browsing and basic apps won't have a problem with the gs3. I'm not exactly a light user...
    Makes sense. By my observation, most people buy way more phone than they "need". Besides, if I had a commute like yours, I'd want to be as productive as I can during it.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Exactly! By the time I get home, there's no time to myself with a 2 year old running around wanting to get into trouble.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z10
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
    I don't think any Band 12 capable chips even exist yet. AT&T really pushed hard to make sure everything was Band 17 and NOT Band 12.
    Band 12 definitely is included in some phones (most notably, many of US Cellular's) but it is often in a CDMA+LTE configuration for smaller US carriers. It will continue to grow with T-mobile and Sprint moving to support it, along with the big 3 Canadian carriers.

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    Device(s)
    Nexus 6, SHIELD TV, SHIELD K1, Acer Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maege View Post
    Band 12 definitely is included in some phones (most notably, many of US Cellular's) but it is often in a CDMA+LTE configuration for smaller US carriers. It will continue to grow with T-mobile and Sprint moving to support it, along with the big 3 Canadian carriers.
    Why would Sprint support it? They don't own any of those licenses. Unless they're still thinking the merger will go through. Which I'm starting to have my doubts about.

So the chips at least exist but not in a GSM/HSPA configuration. Hopefully that means Band 12 LTE can be matched up with an HSPA setup relatively quickly. I'll still wait for the LG G4 personally though.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z10
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
    Why would Sprint support it? They don't own any of those licenses. Unless they're still thinking the merger will go through. Which I'm starting to have my doubts about.

So the chips at least exist but not in a GSM/HSPA configuration. Hopefully that means Band 12 LTE can be matched up with an HSPA setup relatively quickly. I'll still wait for the LG G4 personally though.
    Your are correct that Sprint doesn't own any 700mhz licenses. However, they made an agreement with the CCA when they set up the "Roaming hub" to begin including band 12 in many of their phones. This would allow Sprint to natively roam on many rural and regional carriers, while providing cheaper access to a wider range of devices for the smaller carriers.

There are some band 12 phones that do have GSM/CDMA/HSPA/LTE and others with just CDMA/LTE. I believe there is one mid-low end phone on T-mobile (GSM/HSPA/LTE) that is band 12, but I don't remember what it is.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    at&t, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I hate the Galaxy S 5. The Nexus 5 is much better

Verizon's 4G network.

I live in California, not New York. I actually dislike New York.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Mint, Tello, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork4me View Post
    I hate the Galaxy S 5. The Nexus 5 is much better
    Can you elaborate (for the benefit of those considering these two phones)?

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mmoose View Post
    If WiFi Calling is important, the Galaxy is a better choice.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    at&t, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mmoose View Post

The S5 feels cheap. Very, very cheap. The charger is also not the standard micro-USB that every other Android phone seems to use. The sound quality is relatively poor on the S5, and the reception is absolutely awful. My Nexus 5 is getting about 8-10 dBm better reception than my S5 sitting right next to it.

Also, the S5 seems to lag a little more than the Nexus 5, despite having better paper specs.

Oh, and purely subjective: the plastic "chrome" frame on the S5 makes the phone look trashy/cheap.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I went i to the T-Mobile store last night to check out the gs5 and the g3. I looked at the gs5 for not even 5 minutes before i decided i wasn't interested. It looked and felt very cheap. It also felt like a slightly better phone than my gs3.

I ended up getting a g3. This phone is fantastic and it's different enough to cure my bordom with samsung phones. Build quality feels top notch. The screen is beautiful. So far i have not encountered any heat issues.

My only gripe is that i can't easily skip songs when the screen is off. I have to pick the phone up, do the knock pattern to unlock it, then skip from within the app. It would be nice to have a knock pattern to wake to the lock screen and be able to skip tracks from the lock screen. Anyways, minor inconvenience for an otherwise fantastic phone.

I wish i would have ditched sprint sooner.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Yes, LG makes solid phones these days. My wife just got the F6 for $130 from HSN after she lost her L9 on the train in Chicago. Nice screen, good camera, great voice quality, speedy processor, and 1900/AWS LTE. The only downside is the small built-in memory, although not an issue for her. Great value and better than the L9!

The **** who found her phone (on the same Metra train) even texted us back to say "finders keepers." I then called T and shut off service to the phone immediately. She quickly got on my phone and changed email and Facebook passwords. Next time she will use a log-in password when traveling.

Quote Originally Posted by 50 Proof View Post
    I went i to the T-Mobile store last night to check out the gs5 and the g3. I looked at the gs5 for not even 5 minutes before i decided i wasn't interested. It looked and felt very cheap. It also felt like a slightly better phone than my gs3.

I ended up getting a g3. This phone is fantastic and it's different enough to cure my bordom with samsung phones. Build quality feels top notch. The screen is beautiful. So far i have not encountered any heat issues.

My only gripe is that i can't easily skip songs when the screen is off. I have to pick the phone up, do the knock pattern to unlock it, then skip from within the app. It would be nice to have a knock pattern to wake to the lock screen and be able to skip tracks from the lock screen. Anyways, minor inconvenience for an otherwise fantastic phone.

I wish i would have ditched sprint sooner.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Wow that's messed up about the prick who found it. I lost my ipad on the train home from work just recently and no one bothered to turn it in either.

2nd day on this LG and I'm loving it. I admit i was skeptical about LG phones but this thing is solid. Samsung should be very worried. LG needs to get some serious marketing force behind their products.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast