Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Help me decide which phone

Device(s)
    HTC Evo 4G wimax with 3g Dial-Up
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

Help me decide which phone

My sprint contract is up and I just cracked the screen on my GS3. I'm fed up with Sprint and will be switching to T-Mobile. I was going to wait until the fall to see if anything along the lines of the rumored galaxy f or alpha pan out but not sure I can wait now.

Immediate options are nexus 5, gs5, or g3. Not interested in one m8 due to camera, I use it a lot to shoot pics of my daughter. I was set on a g3 until I started reading all the bad reviews about how the screen hinders performance and battery life. So I guess that leaves me with a gs5 or a nexus 5. The gs5 is lower spec than the g3 and is ugly, yet costs more. Would it make sense to pay $260 more for a gs5 instead of the nexus 5 or $60 more for the gs5 over the g3?

I guess I can't wait around for mythical phones to be released but I don't like any of my current options either. Curious what you guys recommend.

Edit: I intended to post this in the android forum and didn't realize I was still in the t-mo section. Could a moderator possibly move this?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Lumia 635, Nokia 6350
    Carrier(s)
    Mint, Tello, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    What are your priorities/values in a phone? You mentioned one: taking pictures of your daughter. What else? The "best" phone depends on what one is looking for.

Sent from my XT1053 using the HoFo app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Performance is big. I have a 3 hour round trip commute on the train to/from work every day. I'm usually streaming music, tethering, and running different apps on my phone simultaneously. My gs3 is painfully slow for obvious reasons.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    GS5 or the G3 seems like your best choices then.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android 4.4.3; Linux; Opera Mobi/ADR-1309251116) Presto/2.11.355 Version/12.10)

I'd consider adding Jump to be able to upgrade to a band 12 phone when they come out.
    Last edited by DRNewcomb; 07-16-2014 at 12:48 PM.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    My gs3 is painfully slow for obvious reasons.
    Not obvious at all. ????

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I'm a bit nervous about the shut down issues and heating up issues with the g3. I suppose I can always swap the phone for a gs5 if it's within 7 days.

Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    Not obvious at all. ????
    Not sure if you're being serious or sarcastic. The gs3 is over 2 years old. The hardware is slow compared to today's standards. The same obvious reasons as to why were no longer using computers that run 486dx based processors LMAO

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android 4.4.3; Linux; Opera Mobi/ADR-1309251116) Presto/2.11.355 Version/12.10)

I'd consider adding Jump to be able to upgrade to a band 12 phone when they come out.
    We don't know what market the OP is in. I recently found out that my area is not included in the 700 mhz purchase so I have to wait for 600 mhz phones come out.

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    Device(s)
    Nexus 6, SHIELD TV, SHIELD K1, Acer Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 50 Proof View Post
    My sprint contract is up and I just cracked the screen on my GS3. I'm fed up with Sprint and will be switching to T-Mobile. I was going to wait until the fall to see if anything along the lines of the rumored galaxy f or alpha pan out but not sure I can wait now.

Immediate options are nexus 5, gs5, or g3. Not interested in one m8 due to camera, I use it a lot to shoot pics of my daughter. I was set on a g3 until I started reading all the bad reviews about how the screen hinders performance and battery life. So I guess that leaves me with a gs5 or a nexus 5. The gs5 is lower spec than the g3 and is ugly, yet costs more. Would it make sense to pay $260 more for a gs5 instead of the nexus 5 or $60 more for the gs5 over the g3?

I guess I can't wait around for mythical phones to be released but I don't like any of my current options either. Curious what you guys recommend.

Edit: I intended to post this in the android forum and didn't realize I was still in the t-mo section. Could a moderator possibly move this?
    I own the G3, the screen is frigging gorgeous, and battery life is no worse than my G2. I'm not going to quote hours, because your usage pattern is different from mine. But I will say that given my same usage pattern for the two of them I'm getting the same battery life. There ARE some issues with apps not being supported. Vudu is a big one for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweeped View Post
    We don't know what market the OP is in. I recently found out that my area is not included in the 700 mhz purchase so I have to wait for 600 mhz phones come out.
    Mine was included, but I like the G3 too much right now.
    This is my signature. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my signature is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I'm in southern california, i live in orange county and work in Los Angeles. Are there any areas in California that'll have 700mhz on t-mobile's network? Assuming there's no telling when t-mobile band 12 phones come out with support for 700mhz?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
    I own the G3, the screen is frigging gorgeous, and battery life is no worse than my G2. I'm not going to quote hours, because your usage pattern is different from mine. But I will say that given my same usage pattern for the two of them I'm getting the same battery life. There ARE some issues with apps not being supported. Vudu is a big one for me.
    Thanks for the input, i might stop in the store tomorrow and check out the g3. I'm on it all day pretty much because I stream throughout the day at work. I always have access to a charger though, unless I'm on the train.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the input, i might stop in the store tomorrow and check out the g3. I'm on it all day pretty much because I stream throughout the day at work. I always have access to a charger though, unless I'm on the train.
    Well, not only can you stream with the screen off, but T-Mobile's Simple Choice plans have free music streaming, as in it doesn't count against your 4G data bucket. Provided it's one of their listed services, but they've got most of the major ones (Slacker, Spotify, Pandora, iTunes Radio, etc). And if it isn't listed, ask and they might add it.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I'm in southern california, i live in orange county and work in Los Angeles. Are there any areas in California that'll have 700mhz on t-mobile's network? Assuming there's no telling when t-mobile band 12 phones come out with support for 700mhz?
    T-Mobile has a band-12 license just about everywhere important in SoCal except San Diego. There may be some issue with TV channel 51 which might prevent usage within about 25 miles of LA but the importance really was that you may get improved coverage and roaming when you travel around the US. Right now, AFAIK, T-Mobile has not announced any band-12 phones. This is why I suggested Jump as I believe this will be an important feature.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I don't think any Band 12 capable chips even exist yet. AT&T really pushed hard to make sure everything was Band 17 and NOT Band 12.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Not sure if you're being serious or sarcastic. The gs3 is over 2 years old. The hardware is slow compared to today's standards. The same obvious reasons as to why were no longer using computers that run 486dx based processors.
    LOL! The gs3 is FAR from being outdated and is just about perfect for the average phone user.... especially since the TMO prepaid version sells for $299 currently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Joplin T-Mobile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast