Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Consumer Cellular APN Settings for LTE Service

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by smsgator View Post
    I have tethered with my unlocked Moto G LTE.

CC periodically increases allotments on their plans and another one is due in a month or so, but there are no guarantees of course.

The Mobile Share Value plan is about your only choice for large amounts of data plus full roaming. GoPhone and Cricket have more limited coverage since they do not allow off-AT&T roaming.
    Do GSM carriers let you just swap out the SIM arbitrarily as needed without having to deal with the carrier? Then I could use CC for regular usage and the other (ATTT?) one for when I'm bulk-sucking down the data, especially hotspotting.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 9, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    Do GSM carriers let you just swap out the SIM arbitrarily as needed without having to deal with the carrier? Then I could use CC for regular usage and the other (ATTT?) one for when I'm bulk-sucking down the data, especially hotspotting.
    You would just have to choose the AT&T APN versus the CC APN.

But why would you have both AT&T and CC unless AT&T is on GoPhone or Cricket?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by smsgator View Post
    You would just have to choose the AT&T APN versus the CC APN.

But why would you have both AT&T and CC unless AT&T is on GoPhone or Cricket?
    To take advantage of cheaper data rates when I know a hotspot session's going to really fill those intertubes with enormous truckloads of material.

Feedback Score
    I'm on an AT&T Galaxy S3 (i747), and just ported over from Cricket this morning. I have all LTE APN settings right and CC knows that I have an LTE capable phone, but for some reason LTE isn't connecting - the best connection I can get is HSPA+. Initial calls with the rep didn't yield any improvements.

Any others run into similar issues?

Device(s)
    Moto G LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Make sure the APN type setting has no spaces after the commas. Start with a new/fresh APN entry. Also maybe just give it a little time of at least a few hours.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dirkdigles View Post
    I'm on an AT&T Galaxy S3 (i747), and just ported over from Cricket this morning. I have all LTE APN settings right and CC knows that I have an LTE capable phone, but for some reason LTE isn't connecting - the best connection I can get is HSPA+. Initial calls with the rep didn't yield any improvements.

Any others run into similar issues?
    Yup.. I have just gone through that with Samsung Galaxy S3..

Mine has been on HSPA+ for 2 days after I got the ccdata setup... two days past (which is today), it started showing LTE.. Maybe it needs time to register phone to the server.. but eventually, you will see LTE..

Feedback Score
    Two days seems a long time for computerized systems to respond to changes!

Anyone have ideas on how to speed this up, makes troubleshooting tough when you've got a just-bought phone from a vendor with limited return window. . .

Carrier(s)
    Ting - R+ - Lyca - BYO - Selectel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    Two days seems a long time for computerized systems to respond to changes!

Anyone have ideas on how to speed this up, makes troubleshooting tough when you've got a just-bought phone from a vendor with limited return window. . .
    If you are not getting LTE as you speak to C/S then you need to escalate to a higher tier rep right then and there that or you are entering in the APN settings wrong or your device does not support the LTE bands being used in your area. What device are you using?
    Took 5 min for C/S to get LTE functioning when I called. The 1st rep had to go talk to another rep to reset the system for my device, put me on hold and it was working before they came back to the phone to check with me.

Feedback Score
    I'm not having any problem, just amazed and nervous at this report that it can take days after settings are fixed, for the actual service to get itself straightened out.

I've just got my CC SIM, and my new-direct Moto G gen1.5 LTE should be arriving tomorrow.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NC_curious View Post
    Yup.. I have just gone through that with Samsung Galaxy S3..

Mine has been on HSPA+ for 2 days after I got the ccdata setup... two days past (which is today), it started showing LTE.. Maybe it needs time to register phone to the server.. but eventually, you will see LTE..
    Still nothing for me. No sight of LTE, even though LTE was working just fine on Cricket when I ported 2 days ago. I'm using an AT&T i747 S3 so obviously it supports the correct bands.

I just got off the phone with tech support, they said everything is entered correctly on my end (APN) and on their end; they did a system / device reset, I did a reboot, and still the same - HSPA+ is the highest speed it will connect to, at the least at the moment.

Frustrating, and nothing else I can think to do on my end.

EDIT: So I went into the Dialer Code Testing menu *#*#4636#*#* and pressed "Device Information." Under Set Preferred Network Type, when I have the CC SIM in, "GSM Auto (PRL)" is highlighted. If I try to switch to any LTE option [i.e. LTE/GSM auto (PRL)], it immediately and automatically switches back to GSM Auto (PRL).

I then powered my device off, and popped in my old Cricket SIM just to test. Turned the phone back on, went to the same menu, and it reads "LTE/GSM auto (PRL)".

This tells me that something is up with the CC SIM settings, or something along those lines. Is it possible that they sent me a non-LTE SIM card? Can't figure this out, but the phone obviously is detecting LTE from the Cricket SIM and not from the CC one.
    Last edited by dirkdigles; 12-10-2014 at 12:05 PM.

Device(s)
    Moto G LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I suppose the SIM could be the problem. But, I did have to talk to CS twice I think before I got to someone that knew how to fix it.

Feedback Score
    That thing with not being able to get the LTE setting to stick is exactly what was happening with our S3's until CC reset each of the phones to LTE on their end. The first level reps are not able to change that setting themselves, they have to put in a request to get it done (all that happens while you are on the phone with them). Any chance you gave them, or they recorded an incorrect IMEI?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sethkrieger View Post
    That thing with not being able to get the LTE setting to stick is exactly what was happening with our S3's until CC reset each of the phones to LTE on their end. The first level reps are not able to change that setting themselves, they have to put in a request to get it done (all that happens while you are on the phone with them). Any chance you gave them, or they recorded an incorrect IMEI?
    They've read it back several times to me and it seems they have it correct (IMEI). My dad actually has a CC SIM from his previous phone, which had LTE working fine. I'm going to call them up and transfer to his SIM to see if it solves the problem. If not it's definitely on their end somewhere.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dirkdigles View Post
    Still nothing for me. No sight of LTE, even though LTE was working just fine on Cricket when I ported 2 days ago. I'm using an AT&T i747 S3 so obviously it supports the correct bands.

I just got off the phone with tech support, they said everything is entered correctly on my end (APN) and on their end; they did a system / device reset, I did a reboot, and still the same - HSPA+ is the highest speed it will connect to, at the least at the moment.

Frustrating, and nothing else I can think to do on my end.

EDIT: So I went into the Dialer Code Testing menu *#*#4636#*#* and pressed "Device Information." Under Set Preferred Network Type, when I have the CC SIM in, "GSM Auto (PRL)" is highlighted. If I try to switch to any LTE option [i.e. LTE/GSM auto (PRL)], it immediately and automatically switches back to GSM Auto (PRL).

I then powered my device off, and popped in my old Cricket SIM just to test. Turned the phone back on, went to the same menu, and it reads "LTE/GSM auto (PRL)".

This tells me that something is up with the CC SIM settings, or something along those lines. Is it possible that they sent me a non-LTE SIM card? Can't figure this out, but the phone obviously is detecting LTE from the Cricket SIM and not from the CC one.
    I am sorry you are having problems.. Actually, my problems are still there, but I just decided to live with it...

My family has three phone/lines with consumer cellular.. One iphone 5C, one Samsung Galaxy S3, one Nokia Lumia 635.

The nano sim for iphone 5c came preprogrammed, and LTE worked immediately.

Samsung Galaxy S3 was on Hspa for about 1 month, after several calls to CC customer service, only getting to att.mvno apn (ccdata apn did not work at all). Last week I called and asked again. At that time, the CSR said that she saw what was wrong and fixed it... The phone got LTE immediately afterwards, then I put the sim on some other phones, and after that, the Galaxy S3 was stuck on Hspa.. after 2 days, it regained access to LTE.

Nokia Lumia 635, activated last week, is still on Hspa.. at least it is on "ccdata" apn.. I don't use too much data, so it is ok... but.... oh well...

Feedback Score
    After trying literally everything with them on the phone last night, the tech (and "RTS" support - the remote guys) solution is to try sending me a new SIM card.

Sooo will update in a few days.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast