Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AT&T unveils LTE phones that support 700 MHz spectrum it got from Qualcomm

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

AT&T unveils LTE phones that support 700 MHz spectrum it got from Qualcomm

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/...omm/2014-07-15

AT&T Mobility's (NYSE: T) version of LG Electronics' G3 smartphone has support for an LTE band linked to the 700 MHz Lower D and E Block spectrum AT&T bought from Qualcomm (NASDAQ:QCOM), one of the first devices from the carrier to support such spectrum. The band, LTE Band 29, appears on the technical specifications for the G3 on AT&T's website. AT&T spokesman Mark Siegel confirmed the device does support Band 29.

There are other AT&T devcies besides the G3 that support Band 29. Yet other recent smartphones from AT&T, such as the HTC One M8, do not support Band 29.

Siegel declined to speculate on what other future AT&T devices would also support Band 29. He said AT&T did not have a timeline for when it would commercially deploy LTE service on that spectrum.

In June 2013, AT&T claimed it would not be able to deploy LTE over its 700 MHz Lower D and E Block spectrum until mid-to-late 2014 because the necessary interoperability test cases for LTE Advanced carrier aggregation were still in development within 3GPP. AT&T acquired the unpaired 700 MHz licenses for $1.93 billion in December 2011 from Qualcomm, which had used the frequencies for its now-defunct MediaFLO service.

AT&T has said it intends to use the spectrum to provide a supplemental downlink using LTE Advanced carrier aggregation in conjunction with its other AWS, PCS and cellular licenses. The carrier worked closely on the band with 3GPP, which in December 2012 specifically designated Band 29 for downlink use only in the 700 MHz D and E Blocks. The 3GPP also approved technical specifications for aggregation of a downlink Band 29 with an uplink frequency band in Band 2 (PCS 1900 MHz) or Band 4 (AWS 1700/2100 MHz).

In September 2013, AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson indicated the carrier was thinking of using the spectrum for some kind of LTE Broadcast service.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Sweet. Hoping the next iPhone supports it as well. Man, we might need to organize a wiki/FAQ thread (hint hint) and have it stickied with all this spectrum and what not. Will get even more confusing with CA I assume.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by matt110 View Post
    Sweet. Hoping the next iPhone supports it as well. Man, we might need to organize a wiki/FAQ thread (hint hint) and have it stickied with all this spectrum and what not. Will get even more confusing with CA I assume.
    It is a little convoluted. There's a total of 7 LTE bands in use in the United States:

• band 2 (PCS)
    • band 4 (AWS)
    • band 5 (CLR)
    • band 13 (USMH C-block)
    • band 17 (LSMH B/C-block)
    • band 25 (EPCS)
    • band 26 (ECLR)

The following 4 bands are either in the process of being deployed or will be deployed shortly:

• band 12 (LSMH A/B/C-block)
    • band 29 (LSMH D/E-block)
    • band 30 (WCS)
    • band 41 (BRS/EBS)

Looking at the 4 national carriers we have the following assignments:

• VZW: main deployment in band 13, adding band 4 in metro areas
    • AT&T: main deployment in band 17, adding bands 2, 4, and 5 where needed, future deployments in bands 29 and 30
    • Sprint: main deployment in band 25, adding band 26, then band 41
    • T-Mobile: main deployment in band 4, adding band 2, then band 12 where available

Sprint is of course (once again) completely different from the rest, but as far as the other carriers, if you have a mobile with bands 2, 4, 5, 13, and 17 (like iPhone 5S/5C) you're pretty much covered.
    Last edited by XFF; 07-16-2014 at 03:22 PM.

PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    What areas does this spectrum apply to?

Edit-They were licensed to operate here, though they never did roll out service. So, I guess at least we'll see some of this in the near future. Ahh for the days when we just had 850 and two cellular carriers per CMA.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I think the MediaFlo spectrum covered all of the contiguous USA.
    Your results may vary. Network performance differs per user location.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TWX View Post
    I think the MediaFlo spectrum covered all of the contiguous USA.
    That sounds good to me!

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    That sounds good to me!
    Yeah nationwide 700d, plus additional 5 MHz 700e on the LA-SF-you and NY-Boston region.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by XFF View Post
    It is a little convoluted. There's a total of 7 LTE bands in use in the United States:

• band 2 (PCS)
    • band 4 (AWS)
    • band 5 (CLR)
    • band 13 (USMH C-block)
    • band 25 (EPCS)
    • band 26 (ECLR)

The following 4 bands are either in the process of being deployed or will be deployed shortly:

• band 41 (BRS/EBS)
    • band xx (WCS)

• AT&T: main deployment in band 17, adding bands 2, 4, and 5 where needed, future deployments in bands 29 and xx (WCS)
    • T-Mobile: main deployment in band 4, adding band 2, then band 12 where available

Sprint is of course (once again) completely different from the rest, but as far as the other carriers, if you have a mobile with bands 2, 4, 5, 13, and 17 (like iPhone 5S/5C) you're pretty much covered.
    WCS Band 30.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by atomic50 View Post
    WCS Band 30.
    Updated...

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z10
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score

• band 2 (PCS)
    • band 4 (AWS)
    • band 5 (CLR)
    • band 13 (USMH C-block)
    • band 25 (EPCS)
    • band 26 (ECLR)

• band 30 (WCS)
    • band 41 (BRS/EBS)

• AT&T: main deployment in band 17, adding bands 2, 4, and 5 where needed, future deployments in bands 29 and 30

Band 12 is already currently deployed by many regional carriers including the largest, US Cellular.

As for being deployed shortly, I would include Band 10 from the AWS-3 auction this November. Being of easy interoperability with AWS-1, it should be launched around the same time as WCS, if not before.
    Lastly, AT&T is supposed to support Band 12 as well as Band 17 on it's network by the end of 2015 for interoperability, so maybe a footnote for that?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maege View Post
    Band 12 is already currently deployed by many regional carriers including the largest, US Cellular.
    True, but I only covered the big 4.

As for being deployed shortly, I would include Band 10 from the AWS-3 auction this November. Being of easy interoperability with AWS-1, it should be launched around the same time as WCS, if not before.
    I doubt that very much. For once, AWS-3 is not the same as band 10 and hasn't been standardized yet, so it'll be years before there's equipment available.

Lastly, AT&T is supposed to support Band 12 as well as Band 17 on it's network by the end of 2015 for interoperability, so maybe a footnote for that?
    AT&T is said to support band 12 on their branded user equipment (to make it more interoperable), but AT&T itself doesn't hold any LSMH A-block licenses, so I wouldn't consider them a user of that band.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    True, but I only covered the big 4.

I doubt that very much. For once, AWS-3 is not the same as band 10 and hasn't been standardized yet, so it'll be years before there's equipment available.

AT&T is said to support band 12 on their branded user equipment (to make it more interoperable), but AT&T itself doesn't hold any LSMH A-block licenses, so I wouldn't consider them a user of that band.
    It's time to start doing the big 5 then

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z10
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yes, AWS-3 is not exactly the same as Band 10. Band 10 is a superset of Band 4, and incorporates both AWS-1 (currently used under Band 4) and AWS-3.
    I don't understand what you mean by it not being standardized yet. The FCC has already ordered interoperability between AWS-1 and AWS-3, and Band 10 allows them to be interoperable.
    Because of interoperability and simply adding an extension to AWS-1, there are not really any technical challenges that could arise.

With AT&T's WCS, they have vaguely said they would begin deploying it "sometime in 2015". With the US AWS-3 auction in November and Canada's in the spring, large demand will be there for infrastructure, antennae, phones, etc that support AWS-3. Because of this and the factors mentioned above, there will definitely be quicker timing from auction to market than what has been seen with other, more complicated bands, such as the 700 mhz LSMH.

The combination of a track for quick time to market of AWS-3, AT&T's vagueness about WCS and their recent failure to deliver things on the original schedule (voLTE), there is reason to believe that we will see AWS-3 deployments by the second-half of 2015 and concurrent roll-out of WCS if AT&T keeps to their current timeline.

Band 12 is not the same as A-block. Band 12 encompasses lower A- B- and C-blocks. As AT&T will be broadcasting both, it would be completely accurate to say AT&T uses band 12, once they complete the transition. It will still be completely accurate to say that AT&T uses band 17, but with band 17 simply being a subset of band 12, and both bands being broadcast, they will be using both.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

AT&T unveils LTE phones that support 700 MHz spectrum it got from Qualcomm

Quote Originally Posted by maege View Post
    Yes, AWS-3 is not exactly the same as Band 10. Band 10 is a superset of Band 4, and incorporates both AWS-1 (currently used under Band 4) and AWS-3.
    I don't understand what you mean by it not being standardized yet. The FCC has already ordered interoperability between AWS-1 and AWS-3, and Band 10 allows them to be interoperable.
    Because of interoperability and simply adding an extension to AWS-1, there are not really any technical challenges that could arise.
    Band 10 is missing the upper 40% of AWS-3 therefore a new superset 3GPP band would need to be proposed encompassing LTE Band 4 and 10. This is similar to Band 26 which covers Band 5, 18, and 19.

With AT&T's WCS, they have vaguely said they would begin deploying it "sometime in 2015". With the US AWS-3 auction in November and Canada's in the spring, large demand will be there for infrastructure, antennae, phones, etc that support AWS-3. Because of this and the factors mentioned above, there will definitely be quicker timing from auction to market than what has been seen with other, more complicated bands, such as the 700 mhz LSMH.

The combination of a track for quick time to market of AWS-3, AT&T's vagueness about WCS and their recent failure to deliver things on the original schedule (voLTE), there is reason to believe that we will see AWS-3 deployments by the second-half of 2015 and concurrent roll-out of WCS if AT&T keeps to their current timeline.
    ATT is already working on deploying WCS and 700de overlay given they already have nationwide licenses. UE just needs to catch up now.

Band 12 is not the same as A-block. Band 12 encompasses lower A- B- and C-blocks. As AT&T will be broadcasting both, it would be completely accurate to say AT&T uses band 12, once they complete the transition. It will still be completely accurate to say that AT&T uses band 17, but with band 17 simply being a subset of band 12, and both bands being broadcast, they will be using both.
    ATT won't have to start Rolling out Band 12 devices until Sept 2015. But I'm sure the industry will move faster than that therefore speeding up ATT support of Band 12 devices on their network.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z10
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Band 10 is missing the upper 40% of AWS-3 therefore a new superset 3GPP band would need to be proposed encompassing LTE Band 4 and 10. This is similar to Band 26 which covers Band 5, 18, and 19.
    Sorry, I had forgot that band 10 only supports through 1770/2170 and not to 1780/2180. I have not bothered too check and see if 3GPP is working on an update to this or not.

ATT is already working on deploying WCS and 700de overlay given they already have nationwide licenses. UE just needs to catch up now.
    Source?
    Even from this Fierce article today it says that AT&T will only begin deploying "sometime in 2015.
    As for 700de, they AT&T has previously said they would begin deploying in the second-half of 2014, so I would not be surprised if they have started deploying, or are getting ready to fairly soon. Then again, with it coming out today that AT&T has suspended much of its work on cell sites, I would not be surprised if 700de gets pushed back a little.

ATT won't have to start Rolling out Band 12 devices until Sept 2015. But I'm sure the industry will move faster than that therefore speeding up ATT support of Band 12 devices on their network.
    AT&T is supposed to have completely rolled out Band 12 on it's network by 30 Sept 2015 according to their FCC filing. As far as devices, I wouldn't be surprised if the wave of fall 2015 devices support band 12.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast