Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Telus Manitoba Network Expansion

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score

Telus Manitoba Network Expansion

So we got contacted by Telus, they have done some surveying I guess and they want to build a tower on one of our fields near Dominion City which is south of Winnipeg and about 10 miles north of the US border.

I'm interested in this, obviously. The MTS/Rogers coverage by DC is marginal at best and a cell tower located there would be awesome for us.

My question is does anyone know what Telus' intentions are for the rest of MB? While them building a tower on the quarter section they have asked about would be good for our farming situation, I could probably assume along most major routes and towns and cities they will expand their coverage.

Has anyone seen a map of what they propose to do? I see on their site it's still the lame "Cover hwy 1 and Winnipeg/Brandon" scenario.

For reference, from the location they asked about, the closest Rogers/MTS tower is 12 miles away.

That being said, the closest MTS/Rogers tower to the west is within 2 miles of our land in that direction. Which is why I'm curious as to what their intentions are.

For them to be covering highway 75, Dominion City is an odd place for a tower in my opinion. 7 or so miles off the major route seems weird. (we have land right on the highway too, I'd rather see them put a tower in that location, plus then it'd be closer to my house... haha)

Device(s)
    iPhone 5c, Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy Note 2, iPhone 4S, Nexus 4,
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Jcalder,

Welcome to Telus.

That's cool that they want to build a tower on your property. Did they say when they were planning to have it completed?

Cheers,
    PC

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    Essential PH-1, Pixel XL, Nexus 5, Nexus 4, Nexus S
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo & Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    Landholder deals! Nice!
    Un-Rogered, and getting better 'value'.

Feedback Score
    Did you negotiate for some discount on your already cheap monthly plan?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo & Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yulet View Post
    Did you negotiate for some discount on your already cheap monthly plan?
    You get more than a cell discount for landholder deals. Way more.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Positive Climb View Post
    Jcalder,
    That's cool that they want to build a tower on your property. Did they say when they were planning to have it completed?
    Not yet, the guy got my dad's number from land titles since the piece in question is in dad's name. He was sent a contract to peruse and he wanted me to look at it.

I'll check it out tomorrow and call the Telus people. I have a million questions, one being what their coverage intentions are, if it's going to be DC-HSPA and LTE or just regular HSPA and LTE and what kind of plan our farm could get for having the tower on our land.

I do have questions about towers too, guy wires or free standing, who maintains the grass and weeds and stuff that inevitably will grow around them... These do matter as weeds cause seeds which causes mess in the crops, tall towers can affect the ability to spray the fields with crop dusters, though I don't see that being much of an issue since we do have land with 4 windmills and the crop dusters don't seem to have any beef with those. I'd imagine a windmill would cause more turbulence than a cell phone tower.

The last question is "when". If we can strike out a deal, since it's already mid July and the field has wheat on it that will likely be harvested in late August, I'd rather construction start after we harvest the field. But that wouldn't be a deal breaker.

Jcalder,
    Welcome to Telus.
    Not yet... Hahaha If this goes through, definitely though.

Quote Originally Posted by CGY Guy View Post
    You get more than a cell discount for landholder deals. Way more.
    I'm curious to see what they offer. I don't know if we can push our luck and try to get unlimited minutes, data and at the very least US roaming, maybe even more or if that's asking too much? Or just get a really, really cheap plan... I have no idea.

Device(s)
    IR GS BL00D Phone X N0 B.efore C.hrist E.ntity.. |nfinite HELLUS™ TnT $pawn + Ted§ Hell Hound TˇTher
    Carrier(s)
    M¤ther Nature !... @SS2MOUTH Death 0f SELFie -> HardWare Opiates
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Possibly related to the Pub Mob planned expansion across Canada.
    j)
    Talk to local landowners and community see what info you might garner. Communicate with other landowners farmers with sites on or near their land.
    Why do you feel having a cell site on property will benefit your farming situation rather than cash injection?

Consider this cell technology spreads like a virus and Humans are spreading like "Weeds" nearly everywhere. I highly doubt your Father is as eager as you to sell or lease Land to Telus in exchange for some service that has little intrinsic worth in his lifetime.

WEEDS
    A plant considered undesirable, unattractive, or troublesome, especially one growing where it is not wanted, as in a garden.
    Last edited by TelecomZombie; 07-13-2014 at 11:32 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5c, Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy Note 2, iPhone 4S, Nexus 4,
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Jcalder,

I think the plan is to have 700 MHz LTE on all the new towers outside Winnipeg. I haven't seen a guy wired Telus tower yet in MB. All the towers I've seen outside Winnipeg have been self support.

Cheers,
    PC

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TelecomZombie View Post
    Consider this cell technology spreads like a virus and Humans are spreading like "Weeds" nearly everywhere.
    This confuses me. Do you not like cell phones or service?

I highly doubt your Father is as eager as you to sell or lease Land to Telus in exchange for some service that has little intrinsic worth in his lifetime.
    Your assumption is 100% wrong. Dad would have no issues leasing the land to Telus for a tower. As I said, we leased land to Pattern Energy for wind turbines and that has worked out quite well. We have 4 of them on our land and they are little to no hassle. I don't think this would be any different. Not to mention, as long as the payback from having a cell tower on the land provides more return than putting crop, it's worth it.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Jcalder,

I think the plan is to have 700 MHz LTE on all the new towers outside Winnipeg. I haven't seen a guy wired Telus tower yet in MB. All the towers I've seen outside Winnipeg have been self support.

Cheers,
    PC

via the HoFo App
    I didn't see this post yesterday, that's good info. Thanks.

So if there's only 700 MHz LTE on these towers, are they data only? Or am I really out of the loop and there is voice over LTE now and I never heard of it?

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z10
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jcalder View Post
    I didn't see this post yesterday, that's good info. Thanks.

So if there's only 700 MHz LTE on these towers, are they data only? Or am I really out of the loop and there is voice over LTE now and I never heard of it?
    While Telus hasn't announced anything officially, the general presumption is that Telus will make heavy use of their 700mhz spectrum for LTE coverage in Manitoba as they have minimal coverage currently and own 10+10mhz of 700mhz. However, it would be highly unusual if they did not deploy HSPA as well as there is no voice over LTE (voLTE) deployed by any of the Canadian carriers at this point. Eventually (probably 2ish years) there will be voLTE widely deployed, but HSPA will still be built out for roaming and phones mid-low end phones that don't have LTE.

TL;DR
    700mhz will be the main Telus spectrum in MB as it is their only low-band there, but expect them to have HSPA as well for voice and roaming.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo & Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jcalder View Post
    I'm curious to see what they offer. I don't know if we can push our luck and try to get unlimited minutes, data and at the very least US roaming, maybe even more or if that's asking too much? Or just get a really, really cheap plan... I have no idea.
    You're setting the bar far too low. Add a monthly cash payment to that, and you're in the ball park.

Device(s)
    IR GS BL00D Phone X N0 B.efore C.hrist E.ntity.. |nfinite HELLUS™ TnT $pawn + Ted§ Hell Hound TˇTher
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I don't believe in current certifications but in future, cell sites in a proximity should affect any "Organic" labelling of food stuffs irradiated.
    Yep Iam not fully sold on the tech JC.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    You're setting the bar far too low. Add a monthly cash payment to that, and you're in the ball park.
    This is where Son and Dad may have a difference of opinion of payment types.
    Telus may even lease site out to others in Future and additionally enrich themselves and you. :

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    I should say the unlimited voice/data/text plan I'd want for free along with the monthly lease payment. I have no clue what cell providers offer landowners in the terms of service "perks". However the value to me is far more than the loss to them in the terms of giving service away to landowners.

The monthly lease payment is expected, breaks on service is something I'd like as a "bonus".

I don't believe in current certifications but in future, cell sites in a proximity should affect any "Organic" labelling of food stuffs irradiated.
    Why?

Not that I really care, our farm is far from labeled "organic". We use commercial chemicals and fertilizer and I'd have it no other way. I've seen "organic" fields. That would drive me nuts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast