Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How is Fido coverage on the 1900 band?

Feedback Score

How is Fido coverage on the 1900 band?

My friend got a phone from Asia that has the bands:

GSM GPRS/EDGE (for 2G I think?): 900, 1800, 1900 MHz
    UMTS HSPA+ (for 3G I think?): 900, 2100 MHz

that they want to use on Fido.

From what I understand, Fido uses 850 and 1900 MHz for 2G/3G? Does that mean this phone will only work on 2G on the Fido network? Since this phone only supports 900, 2100 MHz for it's 3G, and not the 850 or 1900 MHz required for Fido 3G.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to test it with my own 3G-enabled SIM card since this phone uses a micro SIM and I'm still using the full sized one. I did manage to get a voice-only micro SIM to test with and voice works, although I am wondering what the coverage of the 1900 MHz band is like in the Metro Vancouver area, since this phone lacks the 850 MHz band. From what I understand, Fido was initially a 1900 MHz network, so does this mean coverage for 1900 MHz should be widespread?

Carrier(s)
    Virgin
    Feedback Score
    http://www.fido.ca/web/content/phone..._guide?lang=en

"Your device must be compatible with the Fido network, which uses GSM, UMTS, HSPA and HSPA+ at 850 MHz and 1900 MHz and LTE at 2100 MHz and 2600 MHz."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by UNLAPN View Post

"Your device must be compatible with the Fido network, which uses GSM, UMTS, HSPA and HSPA+ at 850 MHz and 1900 MHz and LTE at 2100 MHz and 2600 MHz."
    I know, I saw that. Like I said, I tested it and voice works, but I'd like confirmation that 3G won't work. I'd also like to know how common 1900 MHz coverage is (since the phone lacks 850 MHz).

Carrier(s)
    Virgin
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by deewhy View Post
    I know, I saw that. Like I said, I tested it and voice works, but I'd like confirmation that 3G won't work. I'd also like to know how common 1900 MHz coverage is (since the phone lacks 850 MHz).
    The coverage map on the website is what both you and I have to work with. It's the most information we can get aside from real-world testing. Sorry, there's no further information of network coverage available. It's either hit or miss with unlocked phones.

Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    For what it's worth, I dusted off my old Fido Nokia 8390 which is 1900 only. It kind of worked, but it lost service a lot in my limited testing. This was in the suburbs of Toronto.

Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido Solutions
    Feedback Score
    1900 will work but not as well indoors for the most part.

Sent from my Moto X

FIDO $60/10GB + 5 hours unlimited data
    WIND $15 AITF unlimited data (10GB full speed)

All my posts are my own opinion only and not necessarily that of any of my employers, past or present.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by UNLAPN View Post

Weird that it says "LTE at 2100 MHz". Europe (and other places) uses 2100MHz, but it's incompatible with AWS (which uses a mixture of 1700MHz and 2100MHz)l, but they make it sound like they're talking about European LTE rather than AWS.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by credmau5 View Post
    1900 will work but not as well indoors for the most part.

Sent from my Moto X
    Have they removed cells from the 1900MHz network? Because when I was on Fido before Rogers bought them, and 1900MHz was all they had, my coverage indoors and outdoors in Greater Victoria was great near urban areas (and well-travelled rural areas). Perhaps it depends on the city?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hurdle View Post
    Weird that it says "LTE at 2100 MHz". Europe (and other places) uses 2100MHz, but it's incompatible with AWS (which uses a mixture of 1700MHz and 2100MHz)l, but they make it sound like they're talking about European LTE rather than AWS.
    LTE technology at 2100/2600 MHz AWS.
    http://www.rogers.com/web/support/wi...setLanguage=en

Feedback Score
    Yes 1900 Mhz does work for HSPA+ and depending on your location it might work well, but having a phone with the proper bands is always your best bet.

Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hurdle View Post
    Have they removed cells from the 1900MHz network? Because when I was on Fido before Rogers bought them, and 1900MHz was all they had, my coverage indoors and outdoors in Greater Victoria was great near urban areas (and well-travelled rural areas). Perhaps it depends on the city?
    I think a lot changed after Rogers bought them. I think the Fido network we were on back in the Microcell days is long gone, hence why 1900 only phones don't perform very well.

Had a similar issue with a 1900mhz ClearNET phone once they started using additional bands. It works okay in the city, but once you go to more rural areas where it previously worked, it didn't work so well.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    I'm not sure what your reply is getting at, other than to assert that Rogers has also dumbed it down to such a level that it's actually become an incorrect statement.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xero9 View Post
    I think a lot changed after Rogers bought them. I think the Fido network we were on back in the Microcell days is long gone, hence why 1900 only phones don't perform very well.

Had a similar issue with a 1900mhz ClearNET phone once they started using additional bands. It works okay in the city, but once you go to more rural areas where it previously worked, it didn't work so well.
    And yet, here we have Rogers rolling out 2600MHz (AKA "BRS") which requires even greater tower density than 1900MHz (AKA "PCS"). Why would they do that if their cell sites weren't close enough together for the PCS band? It's a very peculiar assertion.

Yes, Rogers made changes when they took over Microcell. They removed at least one cell site in Victoria, for example. On the other hand, I believe that's the only one they removed.

I wish I could force my phone to specific frequencies and/or have it report to me which frequencies it's using. Ah well. I miss the days of "Field Test Mode" on my Nokia 6190.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z10
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    3G (UMTS/HSPA) will not work on your friends phone as it needs to explicitly support 850 and/or 1900 3G to work.
    However, you will be able to use GSM/GPRS/EDGE in areas where 1900mhz is running. This will probably only be mainly urban areas, but I can't comment directly as I have not tried it or found maps that differentiate between 850/1900 on HSPA/GSM

Carrier(s)
    Chat-r; PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Rogers removed many Fido towers about a year to 2 years after the merger went thru. Since that time, I have much poorer coverage inside my home compared to before. Then a couple of years later Rogers launched 850 GSM, and it made it barely better, but not by much, but certainly not dropping as much as it was 1900 GSM only. And then years later Rogers launched UMTS, and it was again barely better on a UMTS phone, but still not really doing too well.

I left Fido in about 2011 or so after 10 years of being a customer. I haven't really tested their signal at home since. But recently I have had a few LTE data plans, so I checked the HSPA (UMTS) signals and it is quite good now. So they finally improved the coverage after 10 years, who said cellular technology moves at a very fast speed???

So the myth doesn't hold true that 850 MUST have better indoor coverage than 1900. My experience is the opposite.

However, when I had ClearNET soon after launch, it's 1900 was also dropping a lot at my home. I actually had to leave them after 9 months after being told promises after lies and then nothing.

I don't live in rural area, my residence is a block away from city centre and a major shopping mall.

Now I'm using WIND and it's also very marginal at my home (while the tower is only a block away). Ironic isn't it?
    No longer on a leash by Fido

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast