Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What phone to get?

Carrier(s)
    WIND mobile
    Feedback Score

What phone to get?

It's been a while since I last posted, but I'm back needing some advice. I came back from vacation and am now searching for a new cell phone. I completely forgot I had my phone in my pocket and went swimming in Greece. My Google nexus one phone is done. I'm looking in the price range at around $400, but may go to up to around $600.

I don't like screens larger than 4.7 inches. Just too big for my tastes. I prefer Android phones, but not Samsung. I'm not crazy about their phone designs. The only phone I like from the WIND store is the Huawei Ascend P6($300). The Sony Xperia Z1 Compact($570 from Pacific Mall, Markham) is pretty nice. Any other recommendations?

Feedback Score
    LG g2

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989

Line 1: Wind50 for $45/M
    Line 2: Wish40 for $35/M
    Line 3: Wish40 for $35/M

Feedback Score
    I dislike everything Google but since you want Android, take a look at Nexus 5.

Feedback Score
    Nexus 5 is the way to go. Buy it from the Google Play Store not Wind. It's a massive upgrade from a Nexus One.

Carrier(s)
    WIND mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the advice. The Nexus 5 is nice, but still too big. I think I'm leaning towards the Huawei Ascend P6. I held it in my hand last night and it's the largest sized phone that I will go. After thinking about it overnight, I don't feel like spending more than $500 on a phone. I may go purchase the Huawei tonight or tomorrow.

Feedback Score
    I looked into the P6 as well, but from what I can tell, the version of Android on it is kindof annoying and the battery life is weak. You'd be better off saving a bit more and getting the Moto G instead. The screen is inside your size limit, it's incredibly powerful, the battery life is excellent by all accounts, and it's as snappy as you'd ever need for anything but maybe the most cutting edge 3D games. Also, don't turn away from the Nexus 5 quite yet. It is 5.0" but it's about the same physical size overall as my 4.65" Galaxy Nexus. It's at least worth getting a working display model in your hands for a test. That being said, if you're coming from a Nexus One, then you probably don't really need any of the added horsepower on the Nexus 5 over the Moto G so the latter is still the better bet.

Carrier(s)
    wind
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    iphone is the daddy of all the phones, damn thing never slows down.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 2c View Post
    Just wait for a couple iOS updates. It will

OP, I just slipped on a log on the weekend and my hip met the log with my phone in my pocket. End of the Galaxy Nexus.

Same situation as you, I was out to get a phone. Depending on the money you're willing to spend, I highly recommend the HTC One M8. It's better than the mentioned G2. It's newer and the UI that HTC puts on android is significantly better than any other OEM. I can't stop being impressed with this phone.

EDIT:

Didn't see your mention of the size limit. I have no recommendations in that case.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z10
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arhidia View Post
    It's been a while since I last posted, but I'm back needing some advice. I came back from vacation and am now searching for a new cell phone. I completely forgot I had my phone in my pocket and went swimming in Greece. My Google nexus one phone is done. I'm looking in the price range at around $400, but may go to up to around $600.

I don't like screens larger than 4.7 inches. Just too big for my tastes. I prefer Android phones, but not Samsung. I'm not crazy about their phone designs. The only phone I like from the WIND store is the Huawei Ascend P6($300). The Sony Xperia Z1 Compact($570 from Pacific Mall, Markham) is pretty nice. Any other recommendations?
    Moto X or the Sony Xperia Z1 Compact
    Both solid phones and definitely compact enough.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Get a Sony Xperia Z1 Compact. 4.3 inch screen and premium specs. Can find one as low as $420 brand new. I use one it's a fantastic device. Great battery life, great camera, updates from Sony are awesome as well. Received 4.4.4 most current a week after Nexus AOSP did. No regrets for me.

Carrier(s)
    WIND mobile
    Feedback Score
    I ended up buying the Huawei Ascend P6 on Saturday. I had to search 5 WIND stores to find the phone in a black colour. It cost me almost $350 including a new mini Sim card. I don't play games much except for some puzzle games.

The android version is a little different on this phone, but I got used to it quickly. The battery power is ok, but I've been playing around with the phone a lot, so I have to charge it more often. The phone is still larger than I want it to be, but I do like how thin it is. I may keep it until WIND has LTE (2 years?) and then get a new phone.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2c View Post
    Absolutely agree, on my 5S, lag is basically a thing of the past. The performance on that thing is just amazing. Cost aside--it's pretty hard to beat IMO.

Feedback Score
    I ended up buying the Huawei Ascend P6 on Saturday. I had to search 5 WIND stores to find the phone in a black colour. It cost me almost $350 including a new mini Sim card. I don't play games much except for some puzzle games.

The android version is a little different on this phone, but I got used to it quickly. The battery power is ok, but I've been playing around with the phone a lot, so I have to charge it more often. The phone is still larger than I want it to be, but I do like how thin it is. I may keep it until WIND has LTE (2 years?) and then get a new phone.
    How are you liking the P6? I'm porting from Rogers to Wind, I just need to get a phone. BTW LOL on your nick.
    On Wind $39/mo unlim everything plus US roaming. Son on Wind $35/mo unlim everything. Husband still on Rogers $35/mo text/voice. Such a ripoff. He's switching soon.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DataDude View Post
    Absolutely agree, on my 5S, lag is basically a thing of the past. The performance on that thing is just amazing. Cost aside--it's pretty hard to beat IMO.
    Same with the Nexus 5. No slow downs or lag and you don't have to give up on the cost to performance ratio.

Device(s)
    iPhone X & Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    Telus + Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score

My Recommendations based on what your asking but for even cheaper:

- Moto G (If you have the time to wait, order the Moto X from Motorola if you can Factory Unlocked -- these two phones feel excellent in hands and are fast with stock Android OS with just the right size of screen)
    - Sony Xperia Z1 Compact
    Join me on Telegram https://t.me/Samshares

Telus: $67/20GB Can-US Plan
    Freedom: $30/8GB Can-US (2400 Minutes/1GB)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast