Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: High Speed Data Throttle Toggle Suggestion

Feedback Score

High Speed Data Throttle Toggle Suggestion

Currently on plans with a limited amount of High Speed Data, and then unlimited slow data, our High Speed Data gets continuously used until it runs out, and then we're stuck, throttled in the slow lane until the next billing cycle.

This is the situation currently with my new tablet and I can't justify the expense of an unlimited high speed data plan for it in addition to my handsets unlimited data plan. So, I'd like to use my limited bucket of High Speed Data more judiciously, and have the tools from T-Mobile to help me do that. (I don't mean the free 200MB for life, though including it in this idea would be nice.)

I'd love to see this throttle toggle, that allows us to disable High Speed Data for when we don't really need to use up our allotment of High Speed data. Then, toggle High Speed back on when we do need it. Allowing us to use our paid-for premium high speed data when it suits us, and not waste it on tasks like sending or receiving non-critical email. And often other services and apps are updating in the background, wasting our premium data, despite having disabled the global sync service, so trying to conserve our High-Speed Data until we can connect to Wi-Fi isn't always realistic. Being able to enable the throttle ourselves, to conserve our limited High Speed Data plans would be super helpful.

So, is a customer-controlled High Speed Data Toggle to switch back and forth between throttled data and premium data speeds a good idea?

Note: I'm not *yet* asking about the technicalities of how it would be implemented. I just think it's a great idea, and would love some feedback. It seems like a very Uncarrier idea to me. ^_^

P.S.: I can also see this as being a benefit to everyone, including T-Mobile, if more customers in high network congestion areas chose to toggle throttle their data speeds when they don't require High Speed. Perhaps there could even be incentives for everyone (including Unlimited High Speed plan customers) to throttle down when they don't require High Speed? A points system begetting discounts on accessories from T-Mobile? Or, during periods of high congestion, an alert would show up and for those with 1GB, 3GB 5GB...etc High Speed Data plans, enabling the throttle could "earn" a % of their normal throttled data use back as High Speed? (I know, this could be gamed, which is why I stated normal throttled data use such as that used by background apps, email, chat...not video streaming. Hmm)
    Last edited by UGEplex; 07-01-2014 at 06:12 AM.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5, Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Wondering if the result of something line this would be battery drain on the device since it would keep downloading those updates and data feeds, it would just keep the radio active 20 times longer.

I believe the current android version allows users to specify only update apps on WiFi.

Other than app and automatic updates, what else happens without user involvement?

Interesting idea. Wish they would put throttled data at 256 or so.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T, Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Excellent idea. +1
    Galaxy Tab S2 SM-T817T on AT&T
    Galaxy S7 on StraightTalk (AT&T)

Feedback Score
    If your phone allows it - would selecting 2G only work?

I have CM 11 and that selection is there. I also don't have a TMO branded phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by carpetshark View Post
    If your phone allows it - would selecting 2G only work?

I have CM 11 and that selection is there. I also don't have a TMO branded phone.
    In the area I most commonly use data, there really isn't 2/3/4(non-LTE)G data. For whatever reason, for about 3/4 of a mile, despite 4 or 5 bars of 4G/3G connection, data connections barely hit 5KBps, and experience high ping times and packet loss. It's been this way since the initial LTE rollout hit this area...two(?) years ago. However, "4G LTE" connections are great. And yes, this issue does sometimes affect call quality :/

That being said, I've been told my tablet doesn't play well or at all with 2G anyway. Though, I have yet to test it myself. It's the new T-Mobile version of the Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition. Which by the way, is a great tablet and has better user-experience performance than the wifi-only version of the same model. Likely because the wifi version uses Samsung's Exynos processor, and the T-Mobile LTE version uses Qualcomms Snapdragon 800 SoC which seems to have better optimization than the Exynos from what I can tell.

Sorry, getting off-topic there...but yes, if your device allows you to drop to 2G, AND 2G data throughput in your area is viable, it might be a functional workaround.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanFL View Post
    Wondering if the result of something line this would be battery drain on the device since it would keep downloading those updates and data feeds, it would just keep the radio active 20 times longer.

I believe the current android version allows users to specify only update apps on WiFi.

Other than app and automatic updates, what else happens without user involvement?

Interesting idea. Wish they would put throttled data at 256 or so.
    I'm sure there would be some impact on battery drain due to longer download times, but I don't see it being significant unless someone's updating 4GB video game assets all the time. Most people would still do large updates on wifi. The real issue is if you have a 1GB or 3GB plan, and half of it gets used up by background updates. That much data transfer won't keep the radio on so long as to be a huge battery problem, but losing that much High Speed Data for when you really want to use it would be. Consistent music streaming is likely a bigger battery drain issue

And yes, there are a number of ways to disable Google Play background app updates and more, but there are apps that many people don't realize are still running in the background, updating their ads, transferring use profile data, and more. Keeping track of it all is a PITA, even for tech savvy types when you have a lot of apps installed. There's a lot that can go on without user involvement.

A higher throttle would be nice. I doubt it'd matter in the area I use my devices most, but it would be nice for when I'm traveling.

And hey, thanks for your questions ^_^

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by carpetshark View Post
    If your phone allows it - would selecting 2G only work? .
    It wouldn't work under the current system. Tmobile counts any data used in the billing cycle toward the high speed allotment whether it's 2g or 4g.

Feedback Score
    It's a nice idea, but there are a couple issues...

• This would require a firmware specific implementation, just like WiFi calling. It would be impossible to implement for any BYOD users.
    • It would provide a significant complication for managing the throttle at the T-Mobile server. Currently the throttling is just controlled by data at T-Mobile (current data usage). Adding a flag that would need to be triggered by the phone and sent back to T-Mobile would be difficult.
    • The current system tracks all data usage, and throttles once you hit a certain threshold. It doesn't distinguish between "high-speed" and "throttled" data, it's all just data. This would require tracking two separate pools of data for each user.
    • Finally, I don't see why T-Mobile would want to do this since it would just cause more subscribers to drop down to a less expensive data plan.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    It wouldn't work under the current system. Tmobile counts any data used in the billing cycle toward the high speed allotment whether it's 2g or 4g.
    Thanks, that's good to know. And, sounds broken as hell. :/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by raptir View Post
    It's a nice idea, but there are a couple issues...

• This would require a firmware specific implementation, just like WiFi calling. It would be impossible to implement for any BYOD users.
    • It would provide a significant complication for managing the throttle at the T-Mobile server. Currently the throttling is just controlled by data at T-Mobile (current data usage). Adding a flag that would need to be triggered by the phone and sent back to T-Mobile would be difficult.
    • The current system tracks all data usage, and throttles once you hit a certain threshold. It doesn't distinguish between "high-speed" and "throttled" data, it's all just data. This would require tracking two separate pools of data for each user.
    • Finally, I don't see why T-Mobile would want to do this since it would just cause more subscribers to drop down to a less expensive data plan.
    For your 1st point, it sounds like it could be an incentive to buy a device from T-Mobile. As you pointed out, like Wi-Fi Calling is. There are many benefits to T-Mobile that come from customers using T-Mobile optimized and branded devices beyond the simple sale price, including less stress on customer care, and as we're seeing recently, on-device T-Mobile service and network diagnostics to better help with troubleshooting.

Regarding your 2nd & 3rd points, complication is just a problem waiting to be solved. T-Mobile's engineers can determine if there's a viable way to implement a Throttle Toggle for their customers, if the powers that be determine it's worth looking in to. Systems change. If a Throttle Toggle isn't viable now, it may be as their back end gets upgraded. So, I'm focused on the idea itself for now.

And finally, as for why T-Mobile would want to do this? Because it could be an attractive feature for existing and potential customers. For the same reasons TMO's providing Music Freedom. And because people eventually feel dissatisfied or cheated when a limited resource they pay for is "wasted" by inefficient management tools. Providing better data management tools means providing a greater sense of service satisfaction. And, there's also that network congestion issue I mentioned, which this idea might help with a bit.

Device(s)
    Samsung A930
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Adding a toggle for data would have to be done via the phones os. That will probably take a long time to do. Wifi calling on the iPhone won't be implemented until ios 8. Imagine how long a toggle switch would take.

I don't think tmo would want to do this anyway because they want to advertise high speed data, not slow speed . Also it seems like the throttled speed has gotten worse since they upped the data allowances.

Honestly the best solution for you is to set your phone up so that apps don't update on cellular. You can also keep cellular data off when you don't want to use it.

via the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    The issue for me is the tablet data plan really. I disable the mobile network most of the time, but when I do use it, even when I disable Sync and set apps to update only on Wi-Fi, there's still some data use in the background. Even small chunks of data eat deeply in to a 1GB or 3GB High Speed data plan over the course of a month, and we really should be able to determine when our High Speed vs throttled data is used. Not just the first 3GB of use eating up High Speed for the month. ^_^

Feedback Score
    based on what t-mobile is doing with music and now speed tests i have this feeling t-mobile plans to eventually white list a whole bunch of fast unlimited sites/services and everything else is throttled.

hopefully i am wrong about this.

Feedback Score
    <snort> Y'all "want" big corp to be NICE to you?

Get a grip. The sole purpose of big corp is to provide value to shareholders. Not to be "nice" to its customers.

There is exactly zero business case for allowing this to happen, and all sorts of business case for "let's make them rush through their high speed data faster so we can sell them more".

Good God. It's not difficult to comprehend.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    <snort> Y'all "want" big corp to be NICE to you?

Get a grip. The sole purpose of big corp is to provide value to shareholders. Not to be "nice" to its customers.

There is exactly zero business case for allowing this to happen, and all sorts of business case for "let's make them rush through their high speed data faster so we can sell them more".

Good God. It's not difficult to comprehend.
    Well, as someone pointed out above, the only business reason for Music Freedom is to bring on more subscribers. I don't know that this would sell a lot of people on T-Mobile service though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast