Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: 7-day test drive users - How's your experience?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
    Because the device they're using for the test drive promotion doesn't support WiFi calling at all.
    I'm sure T-Mobile would've wished iOS 8 was out already.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by espressoguy View Post
    My wife works at Tacoma General and she said that a couple of her coworkers have problems within the hospital with receiving/making calls. I imagine if we end up switching and getting a phone with wifi calling this would be a non-issue. I don't know what my daughter's issue is. We bought a cheap prepaid tmobile phone and she used it for several days and it worked fine. As far as Yakima, their map shows anywhere from good to excellent service. Hopefully it is no worse than Sprint.
    Just to follow up, I recounted my Yakima experience here. The stumbling block is going to be at Tacoma General. My wife got absolutely no service at all inside the hospital. Since the iPhone doesn't support wifi calling, she couldn't test that aspect of T-Mobile's service. I have been insisting the past couple of days that as long as she got a phone that supported wifi calling she wouldn't have any issues. As we were driving to Yakima today she mentioned that the hospital uses a secure texting application so that she can include protected patient health information. It is my understanding that texting with wifi calling only works with the standard T-Mobile messaging app. We may have to go back to the drawing board.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by espressoguy View Post
    It is my understanding that texting with wifi calling only works with the standard T-Mobile messaging app. We may have to go back to the drawing board.
    I'd look into this "secure texting" business a bit deeper. Are you sure it actually rides on the SMS system or does it use data?
    Donald Newcomb

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I'd look into this "secure texting" business a bit deeper. Are you sure it actually rides on the SMS system or does it use data?
    Thanks for questioning this. I was so focused on Wifi calling that I wasn't thinking about regular Wifi. The app is called TigerText and per their FAQ:

TigerText works on WiFi for difficult coverage areas
    Now all I have to do is overcome the perception that T-Mobile isn't any good.

Daughter: "I just don't like T-Mobile" - Me: "Everywhere you went with the iPhone, T-Mobile outperformed Sprint"
    Son: "No data where I work or live" - Me: "You have access to Wifi in both those places. The phone signal was 2-3 bars in those areas"
    Wife: "No phone signal or data signal where I work" Me: "Most T-Mobile phones support Wifi calling. TigerText will work over regular Wifi"

It definitely looks like a switch is doable for us and I wouldn't have known for sure without the test drive.

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    Device(s)
    Nexus 6, SHIELD TV, SHIELD K1, Acer Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    When you start hearing "But T-Mobile doesn't give me signal in the rest stop bathroom like the other carriers do!" then you know to just give it up.

That and wash your hands.
    This is my signature. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my signature is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

7-day test drive users - How's your experience?

I love T-Mobile but may be switching back to AT&T. TMo can't acquire and deploy low-band spectrum quick enough. Devices too for that matter. I've been a customer for 1.5 years and the spotty data coverage in buildings is starting to become a nuisance. Sometimes it's even no service in buildings. For me, steady service is starting to be more important than unlimited data and overages. The wife is annoyed with the service too, so I don't know how much more I can take. We'll see though.

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score

7-day test drive users - How's your experience?

Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    As far as I can tell all of the iphone based secure texting apps use data since there is no way to replace the messaging app on iOS.

The big selling point of TigerText is HIPAA compliance. Their architecture is such that TigerText can access message contents, unlike Surespot and Wickr. Messages are not end to end encrypted.

Even in the Android space data use is mostly the rule. textsecure is the exception as it can use data or actual SMS to transmit encrypted messages.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile (2014-)
    Feedback Score
    I was using it around Monmouth and Ocean Counties in New Jersey, and Rockland County, NY. At my primary locations where I am, T-Mobile beat Verizon badly, especially in data speed. I have a more detailed writeup, but the summary is that I'll be leaving VZW after 11 years for T-Mobile.

Feedback Score
    I was thinking about doing the test drive when the new iPhones are released later this year. I actually have a TMO prepaid because I wanted to test it out but WIFi calling isn't available for it

Is WiFi calling as great as they say? I would have already switched because of the international roaming that's available to Simple Choice subscribers. I travel quite regularly overseas. But my service at home is terrible, lucky if I get 1 bar. At work, it moves to 3G regularly. Outside of those 2 places and outside in general, the LTE has been great for me around NYC. I've read some other posts, etc and I just want to make sure that WiFi calling will work even w/o any signal bars.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    So far the WiFi calling has been great for me, at home I'm in the same situation as you. In fact, pretty much all the carriers are weak at my place, so WiFi calling is literally a must.

Device(s)
    ALso in the closet, Nokia Lumia Icon
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    i was also thinking of Testdrive as well... still in my town all 2G edge, some spots of LTE but not too much, i hope we are on the 2Gto4G over haul be end yr! has anyone tried iphone with ios 8 Dev. and use the wifi feature?

I also in a weak spot where i live, i did purchase the Wilson 4GDT signal booster so now at least i got full 3G for calling (verizon) from 2 bars, took some tweaking but good now.. so im sure i can tweak for tmobile as well, but probably usless when they deploy VOLTE but up in my town probably never see it.. I will just be happy with HSPA+ even! so bring tmobile and i will can Big Red!
    Traded Iphone 5s 32G Sprint-LG G3

64G SanDisk microSD class 10

Galaxy Tab S 16G Wifi /64G MicroSD Samsung Evo

Waiting for Xperia Z3

Device(s)
    iPhones, Samsung, Motorola.
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

In-market roaming

Quote Originally Posted by NGeorge View Post
    The reason I don't have T-Mo because they don't have a roaming agreement with AT&T in the Seattle/Tacoma area... I'd LOVE to switch to them for that fast data!
    NW Oregon is same way. T-Mobile does permit their users to roam on AT&T in Southern Oregon in a few places to fill-in their lack of I5 coverage, but they have no roaming permitted anywhere in the NW corner of the state (where they supposedly have native coverage).

So it's odd, but some folks in say Portland heading out of town slightly even to say Boring, will have a very bad experience, perhaps worse than in areas of Oregon where T-Mobile can roam on AT&T.

I noticed that T-mobile also doesn't roam anywhere on the Southern Oregon coast even where AT&T has good coverage. So your T-Mobile phone either gets native or no service even in some larger towns. Kind of blew my mind (in a bad way). Anyway, my test-drive did what it needed to. It filled me in on how it would be if I switched and I'm thankful for the information. I now know why I'm paying more...
    ---
    http://pages.uoregon.edu/dalbrich
    Eugene, OR -- Pacific Northwest

Device(s)
    LG G3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I did the test drive because I get horrible data speeds (a few kilobits per second!) from Verizon at work. I always wrote it off because I work in a large metal building. With the test drive phone, I got 20 megabits per second at my desk! I even called Verizon and spent 2 hours on the phone with them. They said they would have their team do a site evaluation, but they never called me back.

So, I switched to TMO this weekend. It was a tough decision, because I won't be saving any money. I was on a $50 VZW loyalty plan that's about the same as TMOs $50 plan, and I had to shell out $600 for an LG G3 (which I wanted anyway). If I kept my VZW phone another year, I could have gotten a new phone for $100-200, and be way ahead financially. But it would still be useless at work.

I'm afraid I will regret this the next time I'm in the middle of nowhere and have no service, but that only happens maybe twice per year.

Love the WIFI calling ... thinking of ditching my landline, since the call quality is so good.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scoppola View Post
    They said they would have their team do a site evaluation, but they never called me back.
    Yeah, that's usually carrier-speak for "Leave us alone, we're counting our money." AT&T would say the same thing to me when they weren't going to fix it, they knew they weren't going to fix it, and they just wanted me to go away.

Incidentally, I went away.

Carrier(s)
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    So how much data have you guys used on the test drive? Unlimited everything?
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G LTE, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast