Thread: Brainstorm: How Could Thief Make Calls After Phone/SIM Reported Stolen

Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score

Brainstorm: How Could Thief Make Calls After Phone/SIM Reported Stolen

I am posting this post on behalf of a friend who is a Canadian lawyer who is wrestling with a telephone issue that has broader implications in a case he is litigating.

His client’s Rogers smartphone was stolen. The thief apparently used the phone to place some calls and at some point moved the SIM from an iPhone to an Android (possibly to get around remote phone locking, but this is a guess). At this point, she claims to have reported the SIM stolen to Rogers and had a new phone and SIM issued, but apparently calls were still being placed on the old SIM by the thief.

I’m perplexed to say the least. My experience has been that when you report a SIM stolen, it is nuked. While I know that you can partially disable a SIM (so that it can still receive calls but not make them), I haven’t seen any North American carrier do this. [It is also my experience that the first thing that most thieves toss is the SIM card]. Since we are talking about outgoing calls in any event, this wouldn't matter. The evidence that the calls were made comes from Rogers so we are not dealing with caller-id spoofing. (I run an Asterisks box so I know how easy spoofing CID is. ANI spoofing is tougher, but possible).

Assuming what she is saying is true, how could this be the case? I asked the attorney if the woman had a One Number account on the stolen smartphone that the thief was still accessing and he didn’t think this was the case. In an older era, I could see someone screwing up and not deactivating the lost SIM, but this is now automated. Has anyone seen any system error (particularly on Rogers) where two SIMs remain active on the same line?

While I am not privy to the call contents that is causing a lawyer to investigate the matter, I presume it was a legally problematic call (a threat, extortion, or other criminal act). I’ve been racking my cellular brain on this one but cannot figure out what could have gone wrong other than an unknown glitch in the system that could allow this to occur.

I was wondering what other ideas people might have here?

TIA

Stu
    Last edited by stufried; 06-13-2014 at 09:36 AM.

Feedback Score
    Its possible the block was never added properly. Or there could have been a switch delay.

Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You can't have two SIMs active on the same line... if her SIM was already replaced and the calls were still happening, then One Number could very well be the culprit.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Old SIM numbers are generally not deleted from the account. A possible, if unlikely, situation is that the thief could have contacted customer service after the lost phone block was lifted and had the old SIM reactivated. This would allow calls to be made with the old phone/SIM, after which the new SIM can just be reactivated.

If the call was within the past three billed months, the IMEI and SIM details of the phone can be verified through customer service. If it's older than that, I'm not sure how easy those records could be obtained, but a rep could probably tell you if the equipment was changed before/after the call in question.

via the HoFo App

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    One other thing I just thought of which seems almost to obvious to ask, but when she got a replacement phone, did she upgrade her existing line or did she activate a new line in conjunction with canceling the old one?

I know you have limited details, but can you at least tell us how long the calls continued to be made from the old phone after it was reported lost?

via the HoFo App

Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    But how could the thief have called care and known ALL her details to validate her account, like address, birthday, etc and get them to do a SIM swap.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    But how could the thief have called care and known ALL her details to validate her account, like address, birthday, etc and get them to do a SIM swap.
    Family member? Ex?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    You can always switch back to an old sim.

I switch between a micro and a nano sim.
    All it takes is a call, don't know if this can be done at a store. If so anyone who has access to store rep or a rogers dealers login credentials can switch back.

What time lines are we talking about.

PM me for more help

Sent from my LG-D803 using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Don't they remotely nuke stolen SIMs. I've never been able to deactivate an old SIM. When I go between my nano SIM 5s and My other phones, I always have to get a new SIM.

Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by futurephone View Post
    Family member? Ex?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2
    But then she would have noticed that her phone isn't working... this all seems quite unlikely if you ask me.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    Yeah, I agree it's unlikely, but who knows?

via the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stufried View Post
    Don't they remotely nuke stolen SIMs. I've never been able to deactivate an old SIM. When I go between my nano SIM 5s and My other phones, I always have to get a new SIM.
    no you can reactivate an old SIM.
    but I think the rep has to select it from the list of old Sims and not treat it like a new SIM.
    But many reps don't know this or don't know how to do it.

I change phones frequently and used to use a new SIM with every change, thought it was cleaner.
    But a while ago they were not able to activate a new SIM, the rep had no clue why. he got a guy from relations on the line , he figured it out. he deleted old simcards from the line, only then was he able to activate the new SIM. The relations guy asked me not to burn a new SIM for every phone. And if I needed a different size just reactivate an older SIM.

DH is offline I've got more phones than fingers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trincisor View Post
    no you can reactivate an old SIM.
    but I think the rep has to select it from the list of old Sims and not treat it like a new SIM.
    But many reps don't know this or don't know how to do it.

I change phones frequently and used to use a new SIM with every change, thought it was cleaner.
    But a while ago they were not able to activate a new SIM, the rep had no clue why. he got a guy from relations on the line , he figured it out. he deleted old simcards from the line, only then was he able to activate the new SIM. The relations guy asked me not to burn a new SIM for every phone. And if I needed a different size just reactivate an older SIM.
    Correct. It is possible to reactivate an old SIM card on the same phone number unless it is deleted from your list of equipment. However not everyone may know how to do it as it isn't a daily request. Also corporate stores may be able to do it, if they have access to wireless. When corporate a few years ago in retail, I only had cable access. Dealers and third party stores never had access to the above and most of these employees would probably tell you once a SIM card is changed it is burned. Sometimes SIMs are deleted from equipment history to allow for upgrades to be done, as I have seen it prevent customers from doing upgrades. As far as the original question, I would vote on One Number.

Feedback Score
    ive had to change sim cards, from 3ff to micro sim card once, and after calling in to tell them to switch my sim to the new one, i was still able to use my old sim card for a short wile, even received texts, it wasnt untill i powered off the old phone/sim and on again that it was now unregistered, by this time my new sim card activated. i also remember the guy on the phone telling me to power off and on the phones for them to receive the signal from the tower. so question for the OP (lawyer) did the theif who stole your clients phone power cycle the phone off and on again? for it to zap the signal?