Thread: Traveling to Whistler and Vancouver - Which pre-paid plan/carrier should I go with?

Device(s)
    HTC One
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Traveling to Whistler and Vancouver - Which pre-paid plan/carrier should I go with?

As the title says, I'm trying to decide which plan to go with. I'm bringing an unlocked iPhone 4s GSM. I anticipate light talk, some SMS and about 1GB of data.

I'd appreciate recommendations.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Good luck pre paid up here is not cheap like it is in the states.... How long are going to be in town ?

Device(s)
    HTC One
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by shushwap View Post
    Good luck pre paid up here is not cheap like it is in the states.... How long are going to be in town ?
    3 days in Vancouver and 3 days in Whistler. I'm guessing all the carriers work well in Vancouver but not sure who has good coverage in Whistler...

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Wind is going to be the cheapest... Think of them as Tmobile years ago... They run on the same freq so building penetration is crap and coverage is spotty.... Wind has coverage in Vancouver and Whistler... There will be no coverage on the drive up though...
    The main carriers up here are Rogers...Telus...Bell... Think of them as Att and Verizon in the states.... Telus and Bell share the same network on the west coast... Service for them will be identical... Rogers service should be pretty comparable... Rogers...Telus and Bell each of a subsidiary company... Telus has koodo... Rogers has Fido...Bell has Virgin...
    Not to sure what you need a phone for if its just to keep in touch with friends... Wind should do the job if you need a phone for work and want to know its going to work everywhere... Have a look at Koodo or Virgin...

Edit: I forgot to ask what do you plan to use for a phone and what provider is the phone with ?
    Is the phone unlocked ?

Device(s)
    HTC One
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Wind is going to be the cheapest... Think of them as Tmobile years ago... They run on the same freq so building penetration is crap and coverage is spotty.... Wind has coverage in Vancouver and Whistler... There will be no coverage on the drive up though...
    The main carriers up here are Rogers...Telus...Bell... Think of them as Att and Verizon in the states.... Telus and Bell share the same network on the west coast... Service for them will be identical... Rogers service should be pretty comparable... Rogers...Telus and Bell each of a subsidiary company... Telus has koodo... Rogers has Fido...Bell has Virgin...
    Not to sure what you need a phone for if its just to keep in touch with friends... Wind should do the job if you need a phone for work and want to know its going to work everywhere... Have a look at Koodo or Virgin...

Edit: I forgot to ask what do you plan to use for a phone and what provider is the phone with ?
    Is the phone unlocked ?
    Thanks for the great overview shushwap! Yes, it's an unlocked GSM iPhone 4s. I plan to use WiFi wherever I can. I'm just worried about spots that don't, such as in between Vancouver and Whistler. I'd like voice, SMS and data. I plan to do pre-paid with a small amount which I can reload as needed.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Seeing as you have a 4s.... The only options you have are one of the big 3.. Rogers...Telus...Bell or one of there subs.... Have a look at Koodo its probably going to be the best bang... Its not cheap like pre paid in the states though
    Wind is not going to work for you as the 4s does not have the aws band....

Device(s)
    HTC One
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Seeing as you have a 4s.... The only options you have are one of the big 3.. Rogers...Telus...Bell or one of there subs.... Have a look at Koodo its probably going to be the best bang... Its not cheap like pre paid in the states though
    Wind is not going to work for you as the 4s does not have the aws band....
    Thanks again! I was leaning toward Koodo because the rates are acceptable. I looked at G3 Wireless and US Simply Calling but I got the feeling that Koodo has better value for what I need. You've convinced me to go ahead with Koodo. Now I just need to shop for a store that can get it to me within a week.
    Last edited by dborja; 05-22-2014 at 01:52 PM.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Any koodo dealer in Vancouver can have you up and running in minutes... I assume you are flying into town ?

Device(s)
    HTC One
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I guess I can do that instead. We're staying close to the Pacific Center which has a Koodo store. We're flying into Seattle and driving into Vancouver.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I believe the dealers will charge an activation fee. If you can get access a WiFi hot spot you can activate the phone via their self-service website.

You may have issues using a US credit card on their website.

Device(s)
    HTC One
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Ok, I'll self-activate.

I hope US credit cards won't be an issue...

Thanks for the tips!

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Found link to credit card details
    http://help.koodomobile.com/getting-...-do-you-accept

Buying vouchers at dealer using us credit card should get around this restriction, which I find surprising for a prepaid account.

A prepaid sim cost $20 which is credited towards rate plan or boosters.

Device(s)
    HTC One
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Whoa! Thanks for digging that up, rlc5466! I assumed that my U.S.-based credit cards are ok. I'll talk to the dealer about vouchers.