Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: AT&T to launch VoLTE-based HD Voice May 23 on Samsung Galaxy S4 mini

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max (Intel), iPhone 6S, Galaxy S9, iPad 9.7, iPad Mini 3, Netgear Nighthawk Hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, FirstNet
    Feedback Score

AT&T to launch VoLTE-based HD Voice May 23 on Samsung Galaxy S4 mini

I'll just leave this right here:

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/...ini/2014-05-15

AT&T to launch VoLTE-based HD Voice May 23 on Samsung Galaxy S4 mini
    May 15, 2014 | By Mike Dano

AT&T Mobility (NYSE: T) said it plans to launch HD Voice services using Voice over LTE technology in select markets starting May 23. The company said the Samsung Galaxy S4 mini will be the first phone that can make use of the service, and that it will expand the service to additional devices in the future.

AT&T said its VoLTE-powered HD Voice service will launch in select areas in Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota and Wisconsin, and it will expand to additional markets later.

Engadget reported earlier this month that AT&T would launch VoLTE on May 23.

The news finally brings to a close the long wait for a Tier 1 U.S. wireless carrier to launch VoLTE-powered HD Voice. AT&T and Verizon Wireless (NYSE: VZ) executives have been discussing plans to launch VoLTE since at least 2010, but both carriers have delayed their VoLTE launches in the intervening years. Verizon Wireless (NYSE:VZ) in 2010 said the carrier would launch VoLTE by late 2012 or early 2013, but now the carrier expects to launch VoLTE sometime this year. And AT&T had said in 2010 the carrier hoped to launch VoLTE by the end of 2013, a target the carrier reiterated in 2013. But AT&T missed that launch window by five months.

Although VoLTE technology represents a significant change in the way voice conversations are transmitted over the wireless network--conversations are transmitted via IP technology on LTE rather than via circuit-switched connections--AT&T said only that customers can expect "crystal clear conversations" and made no other mention of any other VoLTE powered services.

AT&T also said that HD Voice customers will be able to simultaneously talk while surfing the Web, though that capability has long been available on AT&T's HSPA and LTE networks.

AT&T's promise of "crystal clear conversations" is notable since Verizon has hinted that its forthcoming launch of VoLTE could power new services. Verizon CEO Lowell McAdam said in December that Verizon is testing VoLTE and that the technology would enable "a whole suite of high-end communication services" such as HD Voice and video conferencing, and that "FaceTime-like applications will be much easier from the device than they are today." However, McAdam didn't specify when Verizon would offer such advanced services, and AT&T may well introduce new, VoLTE-powered services at a later date.

AT&T made no mention of Asus' PadFone X in its HD Voice announcement. AT&T in January said it would launch the PadFone with VoLTE technology to support HD Voice. However, the carrier still does not yet sell the device. When questioned about the PadFone X and whether AT&T still plans to launch the device at some point in the future, AT&T spokesman Mark Siegel said "he can't speculate on specific devices and when they might be available."

AT&T isn't the only carrier offering HD Voice service, though it is the only Tier 1 carrier to launch HD Voice using VoLTE technology. Sprint (NYSE: S) introduced EVRC-NW HD Voice about two years ago on the HTC Evo 4G LTE smartphone. The carrier expects to offer nationwide HD Voice sometime in the middle of this year. T-Mobile US (NYSE:TMUS), for its part, turned up W-AMR HD Voice on HSPA in January 2013.

"Welcome to the #HDVoice party, @att. You're late. And FYI @TMobile carries more HD Voice calls than any other carrier http://cnet.co/1jxUZVi ," Tweeted T-Mobile CEO John Legere.
    I do not represent any company or other entity. Anything I post in these forums or write on this site are my thoughts and opinions only. I make every attempt to be 100% accurate, but I am human and do make mistakes from time to time.

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Real calls over LTE opposed to the HD calls that others offer over other networks? Interesting. If AT&T wants to stay ahead of the curve they need to launch more markets in succession otherwise Verizon will come in and activate the whole country when they aren't suspecting anything.

I figure adoption of the S4 mini is pretty limited so AT&T will be able to gauge traffic carefully.

Can't wait to try it out here on my S5 when they make it available in SoCal.

I take it no new data only plans quite yet?

Feedback Score
    According to this, the iPhone 5 hardware (and I'm assuming every iPhone released since then) supports VoLTE, but the software doesn't yet.

"While the iPhone’s chipset can support calling over LTE, the iOS software does not actually have the ability to make calls over LTE networks. According to people briefed on Apple’s plans, this may change this fall with iOS 8 and the iPhone 6."

http://9to5mac.com/2014/05/15/att-an...ion-this-fall/

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny4G View Post
    Real calls over LTE opposed to the HD calls that others offer over other networks? Interesting. If AT&T wants to stay ahead of the curve they need to launch more markets in succession otherwise Verizon will come in and activate the whole country when they aren't suspecting anything.
    Considering how much of AT&T's native system doesn't even have LTE yet, Verizon could get the jump on them in a big way, but Verizon hasn't indicated that they are in any big hurry to roll out VoLTE yet.

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    How does Bluetooth hands free stuff affect this all? Be it in-dash or a separate unit...

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max (Intel), iPhone 6S, Galaxy S9, iPad 9.7, iPad Mini 3, Netgear Nighthawk Hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, FirstNet
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloTF View Post
    How does Bluetooth hands free stuff affect this all? Be it in-dash or a separate unit...

It doesn't. It will be transparent to the user. Everything will operate just as it does today. That is why it has taken so long to roll out VoLTE; AT&T wanted it to be seamless for their customers.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWDude49120 View Post
    It doesn't. It will be transparent to the user. Everything will operate just as it does today. That is why it has taken so long to roll out VoLTE; AT&T wanted it to be seamless for their customers.
    That's not the question. AMR-WB requires a minimum of 2 microphones in an array for noise cancellation and voice clarity. Not possible when microphones on device are turned off on the phone during the pairing process and replaced with the Bluetooth mic.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, FirstNet
    Feedback Score
    I am unaware of a two microphone requirement on the mobile device. I just checked the 3GPP specs for AMR-WB and don't see that listed as a requirement. They do specify that the microphone must be capable of a higher frequency response, but I don't see anything about a requirement for multiple microphones.

Can you direct me to the document where you found this information?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro & 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I am unaware of a two microphone requirement on the mobile device. I just checked the 3GPP specs for AMR-WB and don't see that listed as a requirement. They do specify that the microphone must be capable of a higher frequency response, but I don't see anything about a requirement for multiple microphones.

Can you direct me to the document where you found this information?
    I also read that multiple microphones were needed. Can't find the article, but I remember they used multiple mics in specific spots to create beam forming to help reduce unwanted noise and focus on the voice better.
    Your results may vary. Network performance differs per user location.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, FirstNet
    Feedback Score
    It does make sense, but I cannot find that it is an actual requirement in the 3GPP specifications for AMR-WB. They do mention noise-cancelling, but it is described more as a software capability. I would be very interested to see the actual two-microphone requirement in an official specifications document.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus, Galaxy S6, Nexus 5, Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ggore View Post
    Considering how much of AT&T's native system doesn't even have LTE yet, Verizon could get the jump on them in a big way, but Verizon hasn't indicated that they are in any big hurry to roll out VoLTE yet.

via the HoFo App
    Verizon will most likely have to launch VoLTE nationwide (vs "selected markets") since they don't have AMR-WB fallback on 1x. It does help that Verizon's LTE footprint blankets their entire 3G footprint which makes nationwide VoLTE much easier.
    Verizon Wireless 20Mhz FDD LTE

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, FirstNet
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by milan03 View Post
    Verizon will most likely have to launch VoLTE nationwide (vs "selected markets") since they don't have AMR-WB fallback on 1x. It does help that Verizon's LTE footprint blankets their entire 3G footprint which makes nationwide VoLTE much easier.
    I don't believe AT&T will be using AMR-WB fallback to their UMTS/HSPA network, but I could be wrong. There was no announcement about HD Voice on UMTS/HSPA. Their release specifically only mentions VoLTE. I believe voice calls that originate on the VoLTE network will fall back to a circuit switched connection on UMTS, just as all their voice is carried today (except in GSM-only areas, of course).

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus, Galaxy S6, Nexus 5, Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I don't believe AT&T will be using AMR-WB fallback to their UMTS/HSPA network, but I could be wrong. There was no announcement about HD Voice on UMTS/HSPA. Their release specifically only mentions VoLTE. I believe voice calls that originate on the VoLTE network will fall back to a circuit switched connection on UMTS, just as all their voice is carried today (except in GSM-only areas, of course).
    I don't see the reason not to do deploy it since the software upgrade has been pushed to the infrastructure by vendors. T-Mobile's had AMR-WB on UMTS commercially live since 2012.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ggore View Post
    Considering how much of AT&T's native system doesn't even have LTE yet...
    As of the latest count, AT&T covers 280 M POPs with LTE, that's over 88% of the US population. I understand you're in the remaining 12%, but that's no reason to distort reality. Other than VZW, I'm not sure there's another carrier in the world that covers over 88% of their POPs with LTE.

PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast