Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AT&T Makes GM Cars a Data Plan Add-On

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

AT&T Makes GM Cars a Data Plan Add-On

Your car could soon be just another "device" on your Mobile Share plan, if you're an AT&T customer and happen to own a GM vehicle.

The carrier announced on Monday that it would soon begin supporting LTE on select GM cars as a $10 add-on to AT&T Inc.
    http://www.lightreading.com/iot/iot-.../d/d-id/709032

Cool Beans!

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I like this. Glad we don't have to pay another $50 5GB bolt on like I was thinking previously.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Can't I just turn my mobile hot spot on, on my phone like I do now for the tablet......for the car? And save the $10 add on?

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shizam76 View Post
    Can't I just turn my mobile hot spot on, on my phone like I do now for the tablet......for the car? And save the $10 add on?
    Sure, you could do that, assuming the head unit is Wi-Fi capable.

PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    The only need for data in the automobile is to use it as a mobile hotspot for devices you carry such as telephones and tablets. If the telephones already have a data connection, the automobile hotspot would be redundant. The most likely use for the mobile hotspot would be to give Wi-Fi coverage for passengers who are not on the driver's data plans.
    Earl F. Parrish

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    The only need for data in the automobile is to use it as a mobile hotspot for devices you carry such as telephones and tablets.
    That's hardly the only use for data in the car. Think OnStar, navigation, weather and radar, entertainment, tracking, fleet management, theft recovery, etc. The possibilities are endless...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    You would let a fleet manager use your personal data plan? We are discussing how a GM owner would use the data in the car. The OnStar functions would be on General Motors dime paid for out of your subscription. Most of the cars GM will sell with OnStar will have a built-in GSP/Radio unit. It is silly how GM tries to get you to subscribe to directions through OnStar, which is currently voice directions only.
    Last edited by efparri; 05-12-2014 at 09:33 PM.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S5 Active, Samsung Captivate
    Carrier(s)
    at&t (formerly Cingular)
    Feedback Score

via the HoFo App
    The only need for data in the automobile is to use it as a mobile hotspot for devices you carry such as telephones and tablets. If the telephones already have a data connection, the automobile hotspot would be redundant. The most likely use for the mobile hotspot would be to give Wi-Fi coverage for passengers who are not on the driver's data plans.
    This could be for the Soccer Mom's vehicle if the Husband (who might be the HotSpot primary) is not with her and the kids can use their Wi-Fi tablets/devices on the go.

Businesses could have this for their company cars instead of having buying HSPA/LTE enabled tablets/netbooks/iPads and can just buy the cheaper Wi-Fi only versions on the road.

Either way it's available for those who might need it.
    If you feel that you have to correct some of my posts for my capitalization of some of my words, then just bear with it. It's just a discussion forum where some may be limited by time to answer in well-versed and eloquent sentences.

I already got a PHD (Plain High School Diploma) so ignore my style of writing and I'll ignore your ignorance.

Subject: You can read this-trust me!

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm.
    Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt!

When asked if I see the glass half empty or half full, I responded I see just a glass of water.
    Now you know how I think.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S5 Active, Samsung Captivate
    Carrier(s)
    at&t (formerly Cingular)
    Feedback Score
    You would let a fleet manager use your personal data plan? We are discussing how a GM owner would use the data in the car. The OnStar functions would be on General Motors dime paid for out of your subscription.
    This could be for a Rental Car service to have as an additional option to offer its customers during their rental use since they can buy day passes of 250 MB for $5.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    When you look at Tesla vehicles the front dash is a great big tablet interface. Having a built in cellular radio with an antennae distributed throughout the car for better RF would be preferred to turning on my phone's HotSpot causing it to overheat.

Food for thought. AT&T's Connected Car Concept: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQxTwGCA8gY

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    If data are coming from the same bucket, use the telephone's data connection directly.

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Nobody knows yet, the data with this deal goes through OnStar.

GM is running the service through its OnStar service, which turns the car into a WiFi hotspot capable of connecting up to seven devices. OnStar customers will get a three-month free trial with LTE and then have the option to sign up for a new plan, with a $5 discount on the 200 MB or 1GB plan. Or, as further options, GM is also letting drivers buy day passes of 250 MB for $5 or a year's worth of data at 10 GB per month for $200 -- $150 if you're an OnStar customer

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I don't want to pay more each month to add the car to my AT&T account, so that the whole neighborhood (or whoever) can tether off my car. Most usually have their own dang data plan. So they can use their own!

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    ATT Tilt 2
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by XFF View Post
    That's hardly the only use for data in the car. Think OnStar, navigation, weather and radar, entertainment, tracking, fleet management, theft recovery, etc. The possibilities are endless...
    many people outside of the industry don't understand how much can be done with a data connection. the extent of their exposure to data is the internet, gaming and email.

Device(s)
    ATT Tilt 2
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    I don't want to pay more each month to add the car to my AT&T account, so that the whole neighborhood (or whoever) can tether off my car. Most usually have their own dang data plan. So they can use their own!

via the HoFo App
    u leave your wifi open and broadcast your ssid?

very bad things can happen if you do either of those.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast