Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 43

Thread: AT&T to Gain 4G Voice May 23?

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,632
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh177 View Post
    I'm more confident in VOLTE working great on the AT&T network, especially since there is lots of HSPA+ coverage to fall back on if needed.
    How would the HSPA+ fallback help with VoLTE coverage? AT&T's not implementing VoHSPA. They're definitely going to have regular voice fallback (UMTS) for many years after VoLTE has been rolled out. It's going to take a while for it to become reliable and widespread enough to be useful.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    Posts
    226
    Device(s)
    S7 Edge, Nexus 6p, Note 5, iPhone 6s+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen89 View Post
    I believe my iPhone 5S supports VOLTE so I should be good to go. I hope AT&T's VOLTE comes to the Philly Burbs sooner than LTE did.


    Sent from my iPad Air.
    My understanding is the first ATT phone to support VoLTE will be the ASUS padfone x which is unreleased as of now. I have never seen apple be the first one to support an untested technology since it took them until the iphone 5 to even have LTE.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    NIMbY Land
    Posts
    19,192
    Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen89 View Post
    I believe my iPhone 5S supports VOLTE so I should be good to go. I hope AT&T's VOLTE comes to the Philly Burbs sooner than LTE did.


    Sent from my iPad Air.
    I believe it does like the new Sammy, but forget-a-bout-it in Philly.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    5,724
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, VZW
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen89 View Post
    I believe my iPhone 5S supports VOLTE so I should be good to go. I hope AT&T's VOLTE comes to the Philly Burbs sooner than LTE did.


    Sent from my iPad Air.
    The iPhone 5S supports AMR-WB

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,632
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh177 View Post
    The HSPA+ maps look better than I expected, it's hard to read the new ORANGE maps as "4G" HSPA+ looks very similar to 3G, especially zoomed out like that. I always assumed most of it was 3G. That's why I miss the blue maps. Although AIO shows better maps and now I know AT&T has EXCELLENT HSPA+ coverage, which is great. Their HSPA+ coverage is larger than Verizon's LTE network (I believe judging from the looks of the map).
    It's pretty easy to see the differences between 3G and 4G. Look at eastern Oregon. It's clearly a lighter shade of orange than most of the country. It's a little easier to see on AT&T's mobile maps, which show LTE coverage at a national level. I think it also depends on your computer monitor and settings, since different screens can display colors differently:



    http://m.att.com/shopmobile/coverage...r-results.html

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    100
    Feedback Score
    0
    So there are other people on howard formums who think it's a bad idea
    http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...th-survey-says

    According to this article, 75M Americans believe that the sun revolves around the earth. That doesn't make it even remotely true.

    The problem is that sometimes people want to speculate on technologies that they've never been able to use. Even if the people in that thread are smart people, they haven't used VoLTE. Carriers have been quite conservative with VoLTE. AT&T, who can actually run tests on VoLTE, probably feels that the service has gotten to a good point to be starting it now.

    I believe my iPhone 5S supports VOLTE so I should be good to go. I hope AT&T's VOLTE comes to the Philly Burbs sooner than LTE did.
    http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/04...support-volte/

    That article thinks that the iPhone 5s doesn't support VoLTE.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    695
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max, Apple Watch 5
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CA View Post
    but forget-a-bout-it in Philly.
    Why is that?


    Sent from my iPad Air.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    695
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max, Apple Watch 5
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sashaP View Post



    http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/04...support-volte/

    That article thinks that the iPhone 5s doesn't support VoLTE.
    The 5S does support HD, though. Not sure why the article speaks of iOS 8 as it is well known that the OS doesn't make a phone VOLTE capable. I'd like to think that Apple has been testing hardware within the iPhone 6 that will make it VOLTE capable, but anything is posable.


    Sent from my iPad Air.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    695
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max, Apple Watch 5
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by snobrdr2324 View Post
    My understanding is the first ATT phone to support VoLTE will be the ASUS padfone x which is unreleased as of now. I have never seen apple be the first one to support an untested technology since it took them until the iphone 5 to even have LTE.
    For many people like myself who didn't have LTE in our area at the time that the 4S came out it really didn't matter whether it supported LTE or not. At the time that the iPhone 5 came out LTE was really starting to pick up on all carriers so I really don't think Apple was behind in that respect. When I first got the iPhone 5 LTE wasn't even in my area yet. I do think Apple tends to be more cautious when it comes to newer technology as they like to make sure it's going to work before just putting the product out there.....

    I think in order For HD voice to work both parties would have to be on the same network and have compatible voLTE phones. This being the case even IF the iPhone 6 didn't have the hardware that is necessary for VOLTE it won't be a big loss to many people at this time. However, if the iPhone 7 is released without it, then I would agree that they are getting behind.


    Sent from my iPad Air.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,632
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen89 View Post
    For many people like myself who didn't have LTE in our area at the time that the 4S came out it really didn't matter whether it supported LTE or not. At the time that the iPhone 5 came out LTE was really starting to pick up on all carriers so I really don't think Apple was behind in that respect. When I first got the iPhone 5 LTE wasn't even in my area yet. I do think Apple tends to be more cautious when it comes to newer technology as they like to make sure it's going to work before just putting the product out there.....

    I think in order For HD voice to work both parties would have to be on the same network and have compatible voLTE phones. This being the case even IF the iPhone 6 didn't have the hardware that is necessary for VOLTE it won't be a big loss to many people at this time. However, if the iPhone 7 is released without it, then I would agree that they are getting behind.

    Sent from my iPad Air.
    Exactly, one of the reasons the first iPhone didn't support 3G was because most places didn't have 3G yet, only a few major cities. By 2008, when the iPhone 3G came out, 3G was widespread enough for Apple to feel the need to support it.

    I know with T-Mobile's HD Voice, it does require both people to have HD Voice compatible phones.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    7,339
    Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus 256GB Apple Black
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dnywlsh View Post
    Exactly, one of the reasons the first iPhone didn't support 3G was because most places didn't have 3G yet, only a few major cities. By 2008, when the iPhone 3G came out, 3G was widespread enough for Apple to feel the need to support it.

    I know with T-Mobile's HD Voice, it does require both people to have HD Voice compatible phones.
    I disagree. I believe most places did have 3G, at least cities. I know out here we had 3G for about 5 years, but we were an early city to get it. When iPhone came out, it was the only one AT&T sold that didn't support 3G.
    The reason was battery life. The iPhone was a large touch screen device and there were concerns about enough power and putting 3G in just wasn't helping. Also when they started development of the iPhone over 2 years earlier, non-3G chips were what was more available.
    This is the same reason LTE came to iPhone so late, power requirements. Android solved the problem by making the phones huge to accommodate battery. Those earlier large Android phones wasn't to make a large screen device, it was to engineer a larger battery into the phone. The market trend toward larger screen phones was almost a happy accident along with effective marketing.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    7,339
    Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus 256GB Apple Black
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen89 View Post
    The 5S does support HD, though. Not sure why the article speaks of iOS 8 as it is well known that the OS doesn't make a phone VOLTE capable. I'd like to think that Apple has been testing hardware within the iPhone 6 that will make it VOLTE capable, but anything is posable.


    Sent from my iPad Air.
    It was my understanding that the hardware of iPhone 5 and 5S support VoLTE, but the OS does not implement the capability. It will require either an update to iOS7 or to iOS8 to add that functionality.
    I don't know if that's true. For all we know the OS silently supports VoLTE already, but all of (non-conclusive) stuff I've read speculates it will be iOS8 that will add the functionality to the phone to capable hardware.
    I have no doubt that Apple has internal builds that can test VoLTE and have had it all along. It may even be in the OS but disabled, only to be enabled if you have a development build of the OS.

    That is IF the iPhone 5 and/or 5S hardware is capable. I don't see why it shouldn't be.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    8,985
    Feedback Score
    0
    Can't wait to use it on my Nokia 2610
    Sent from my RM-915_nam_usa_228 via the HowardForums WP7 App

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,410
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by RF9 View Post
    It was my understanding that the hardware of iPhone 5 and 5S support VoLTE, but the OS does not implement the capability. It will require either an update to iOS7 or to iOS8 to add that functionality.
    I don't know if that's true. For all we know the OS silently supports VoLTE already, but all of (non-conclusive) stuff I've read speculates it will be iOS8 that will add the functionality to the phone to capable hardware.
    I have no doubt that Apple has internal builds that can test VoLTE and have had it all along. It may even be in the OS but disabled, only to be enabled if you have a development build of the OS.

    That is IF the iPhone 5 and/or 5S hardware is capable. I don't see why it shouldn't be.
    Only one city in this state had 3G when the iPhone was released and only a small part of it, so it was immaterial at that time. When the iPhone 3G was released there were 4 cities that had it, so you St least could go more than one place and enjoy it. Some places don't have 3G yet! LOL


    via the HoFo App

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,651
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    So they are skipping AMR-WB and going straight to VoLTE?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Need advice for gaining Data / Voice signal strength
    By scj6771 in forum General Mobile Questions and Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-11-2009, 10:28 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-12-2007, 10:54 AM
  3. Voice Privacy and Automatic Gain Control
    By CellPhonezRule in forum LG
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-24-2004, 11:44 AM
  4. Voice Privacy and Automatic Gain Control
    By CellPhonezRule in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-23-2004, 05:00 PM
  5. The LG VX6K may very well AMPS!!!
    By RavenII in forum USCellular
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-30-2003, 10:00 PM

Bookmarks