Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Wall Street Journal: AT&T Has Approached DirecTV About Possible Acquisition

Device(s)
    iPhone (Silver) Xs Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    (Dual Sim) T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!! Xfinity Mobile (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    Can anyone here comment, definitively, if you get a discount with DirecTV for having AT&T Mobility!?

If there's no discount now, I'd sure as heck hope there is one on the way.
    Hofo Veteran - Magenta Disciple

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    It occurred to me that this acquisition talk is all about FOOTBALL! No ****,

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wide_opeN View Post
    Verizon and Dish would be a good fit too.

via the HoFo App
    I think that might hit regulatory snags. Verizon has brought together a lot of spectrum and has a big 40MHz AWS chunk in most areas. I think regulators would be much happier with T-Mobile getting Dish. T-Mobile has the least spectrum and could use that 40MHz chunk of AWS-4 that Dish has for a 20+20 LTE network to supplement their 10-20MHz network.

But maybe Verizon would sell off Dish's spectrum as part of the deal. Otherwise, Verizon would be left with around 110MHz of new spectrum for LTE between its original 700MHz and AWS holdings and the cable company and Dish holdings. That's quite an imbalance against an AT&T who has 10-20MHz in 700MHz, a little AWS, and some high-frequency WCS. Similarly, Sprint is trying to launch 10MHz at 800MHz and 1900MHz and supplement that with the high-frequency 2.5GHz spectrum. While Sprint has a lot of 2.5GHz spectrum, it's TDD and possibly not great for coverage. Similarly, T-Mobile is trying to launch 20-40MHz of LTE at AWS with 10MHz at 700MHz in some areas. Letting Verizon extend its lead with Dish's 50MHz+ just doesn't seem wise.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the informative reply @sasha.

I guess yes them maybe having to divest the spectrum would make the deal approvable by regulatory standards.

Too I was speaking more of a good fit from Video standpoint. Think about Directv and AT&T have the same corporate colors and so do Dish and Verizon.

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CA View Post
    It occurred to me that this acquisition talk is all about FOOTBALL! No ****,
    It's no question getting NFL Sunday ticket in tow, is a boon for AT&T.

Again, I don't know what's gotten into Randall Stephenson lately, but he's stepped his leadership up tremendously, in the last 18 months or so.

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Report: AT&T-DirecTV merger has DOJ approval

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2...oval/29575943/

AT&T's $48.5 billion acquisition of satellite TV provider DirecTV awaits only Federal Communications Commission approval after a report that the deal has passed antitrust muster.

Officials at the Justice Department have closed their investigation without demanding any special conditions, a person close to the situation told Bloomberg. Those requirements could have included sales of certain business units and promises not to interfere with Internet traffic.

AT&T, which announced plans in May 2014 to acquire the satellite TV provider, earlier this week filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission to extend the merger's termination date. In the document, AT&T also said that it "expects that the merger will be consummated shortly."

The companies still need final approval from the Justice Department's antitrust leadership, according to the report.

And the deal requires FCC approval. The agency is expected to approve the deal with conditions as early as next week, sources close to the matter told Reuters Tuesday. FCC chairman Tom Wheeler said two weeks ago that the agency is trying to reach its decision on the merger as soon as possible.

The agency could ask for concessions such as adhering to the FCC's new net neutrality rules. AT&T is currently among those challenging the new rules in court.

Feedback Score
    The Federal Communications Commission this week signaled that it will approve the AT&T and DirecTV merger—if AT&T adheres to certain conditions.

will be required to submit all completed interconnection agreements—and regular reports on network performance—to the FCC, in what Wheeler hopes is a move to encourage more transparency. An independent officer will be assigned to ensure compliance.

and secondly in an effort to prevent discrimination against online video competition, AT&T will not be permitted to exclude its own video services and content from data caps on its network.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3