Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Your First Car?

Carrier(s)
    Vodafone
    Feedback Score

Your First Car?

What was your car and when did you get it? Mine was Honda and I got it when I was 23.
    Samsung Galaxy is the Best

Feedback Score
    Got mine when I was 16 its a 2000 mazda protege.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by xXTechHead; 05-01-2014 at 12:58 AM.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Key2 & iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Q10: Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.2141 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

My first car was a 1975 Ford Granada with a 351 V8 in it. Paid $500. Great for brake-stands, not so great on gas mileage. Even worse when the transmission stopped shifting past second gear. Picture driving down the highway at 5000 rpm doing 100Kmh! It's a good thing that gas was only $0.59/L back in 1999.

I didn't realize for a couple months that it had an 8-track player in the dash! Picked up a tape from Value Village and it actually worked!
    Last edited by DennyCrane; 05-10-2014 at 02:15 AM.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note II
    Carrier(s)
    VZDub
    Feedback Score
    My first car was a 1989 Toyota MR2. I was 18 years old and paid $3500 cash for it.

I loved that car. It was a blast to drive.

Device(s)
    5s/Mega 6.3/nokia 521
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    OK. I'll play. My first car was a hand me down from my brother who was 2 years older than me. I was 17 and had been driving for about a couple of months. It was a blue 1965 Chevy Malibu with white interior bucket seats. At that time it was about 12 years old. If it idled, it stalled, so I always had to shift into neutral and give it gas if stopped at a red light or a stop sign. If I drove it on the highway, the radiator fluid would fly up to the windshield and had to use wipers on a clear day. I drove me and my date to the Junior Prom in that car!!! He wasn't driving yet. No limos back then kids. Unless your parents would foot the bill. I had a single mom and didn't even ask. I worked from the time I was 15. A pair of Calvin Klein Jeans cost me a whole paycheck.

That car was pretty much a mess. A friend of my brother's told my mom it wasn't safe to drive to TN for college, so when she sold her house - [ my grandmother was sick, so we had to move into her house and take care of her ] - she bought me a demo Toyota Corolla with 600 miles on it. Also blue, and it was a beauty.

My kids had everything (within limits) I couldn't have or afford. They were a lot more spoiled and probably didn't appreciate everything they were given. My daughter learned the value of $$ when she had to account to her dad everything she spent her college account $$ on. When she didn't want to, she used her "own" $$ and found out it doesn't last long. Now that she is working and realizes how hard she has to work for that paycheck, It has definitely sunk in.

So there are 2 schools of thought here. Make your kids work for everything they get. Out of necessity, this was me and my husband. $$ was scarce when we grew up.

Or Let your kids be kids, study hard in school, let them invest their time in being the best they can be as a student, athlete, dancer, musician, whatever. This was us. Fortunately we could afford it. We got lucky. It worked and got 2 good kids out of it. Now adults.
    Never be afraid to try, but always know where your back up is when you screw up!

It doesn't cost anything to be nice and say thank-you.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    My first car was a used 2002 Acura RSX Type-S. It didn't really go till you passed around 6000RPM but it was still a lot of fun.

With the back seats folded down it also held a lot of stuff in the trunk. I used it to help a friend bring a 50" LCD TV home in it.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Q10: Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.2141 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Quote Originally Posted by howard
    My first car was a used 2002 Acura RSX Type-S. It didn't really go till you passed around 6000RPM but it was still a lot of fun.

With the back seats folded down it also held a lot of stuff in the trunk. I used it to help a friend bring a 50" LCD TV home in it.
    My buddy had that exact car! 6 speed manual. He did the exhaust, intake, chip etc. I believe it had 200hp stock, didn't it? Not bad for a small car.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My first car at age 16 back in 2006 was a 1996 Mazda Mx-6, black. Loved that car!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by NUDAY8
    My first car at age 16 back in 2006 was a 1996 Mazda Mx-6, black. Loved that car!
    Nice car indeed! I had a black MX-6 as well. The previous generation to yours though. A 1990 maybe (?). It was a GT with a small turbo. Went pretty good. Had all sorts of features including washers for the headlights!! I blew the head-gasket when I was red-lining 3rd gear and accidentally speed-shifted into 2nd instead of 4th (woops)! My friend behind me said flames came out the tailpipe. Oh to be 18 again.
    Last edited by DennyCrane; 05-12-2014 at 08:16 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, formerly Bell Mobility (4 years), formerly Telus Mobility (Since '98, ended 2010) - 13 years
    Feedback Score
    1989 Madza B2200 Pick Up.

A lawnmower for an engine, but never had a day of problems with it.

Actually saw it for sale (the exact truck) on Craiglist a little while back. I'd bet I could roll that odometer over and it would still run like new.
    But on the plus side, I knocked over the SunSphere.

Muh Plan:
    U/L Canadawide Calling
    U/L Picture/Video/Text Messaging
    5 GB Data
    $55/month less 10% for BYOD

The Former Abbywack-A-Mole

Device(s)
    VZW GS4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    1989 Chrysler Lebaron turbo.. My papaw gave it to me before I was even able to drive. Ah the memories. Was one of a kind with digital dash and auto ac controls... Was a fun car to drive!

RLS16.1 hyperdriven SCH-I545 via tapatalk * please use the THANKS button!

Feedback Score
    My first car was a 1989 Cadillac Deville. Burgundy - nicknamed here "The Titanic." Lmao I thought I was so bad *** where ever I went in that hooptie .

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post

Nice car indeed! I had a black MX-6 as well. The previous generation to yours though. A 1990 maybe (?). It was a GT with a small turbo. Went pretty good. Had all sorts of features including washers for the headlights!! I blew the head-gasket when I was red-lining 3rd gear and accidentally speed-shifted into 2nd instead of 4th (woops)! My friend behind me said flames came out the tailpipe. Oh to be 18 again.
    I loved mine! It was ~10 years old by the time I had it, but still looked like a "modern" car at the time and only cost me $1500. It was a 5-speed with the v6. Had ~150K miles on it when I got it, and I drove it til almost 300K and upgraded when I got out of college. Ended up selling it to a family member that still drives it to this day.

Feedback Score
    Oh this makes me sad. It was a red 1975 Pontiac Firebird my father said was for my mother, except she hated to drive, and he mysteriously bought it for my mom not long after I got my drivers license and was asking to use his car every night. Lol! I loved that car! But he didn't let me take it after I'd moved out. And I've never owned a car because I spent most my life in NYC. I need one now but I have no clue how to go about buying a (used) car. Any clues would be welcome!

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score
    Datsun B210...can't remember the year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast