Thread: For those using Symbian as primary phone...

Device(s)
    Moto Z Play, Moto Z2 Force, Blackberry Z10
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Wireless
    Feedback Score

For those using Symbian as primary phone...

If you are still using Symbian as your primary phone are you using custom firmware or a hacked phone? My personal experience after using Delight Custom Firmware makes me wonder how I could live without it (or at least a hacked phone to deal with those expired certificates and unsigned apps.)

What are your reasons for sticking with Symbian and not migrating to another phone OS?

Do you feel that Symbian is still good enough to recommend to others? What do you consider the advantages of using Symbian in 2014? I still love it and I'm introducing and recommending it to others...

Device(s)
    Nokia N8
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    When All About Symbian recommended Delight custom firmware, I switched my N8 over to Delight CFW.
    The interesting thing about Delight CFW is that the developers are working on another release.
    The reasons I use my N8 over an 808, is the N8's hot swap microSDHC feature and cost.
    (I want an 808 Pureview so bad but, I know that better "camera [smart]phones" are coming very soon)
    The reason I use a Symbian device is merely coincidental.
    If another smartphone with a Xenon flash (and excellent photo/video capture quality as well) had existed on another platform, I think I would get it.
    Recently, the Sony Xperia Z2 supplanted the 808 Pureview by DxOMark's Mobile score.
    http://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles/Sony-...obile-rankings
    My problem with the Xperia Z2: no Xenon flash.
    Other than the Lumia 1020, my other rightful choice would be a Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom but, it has abysmal picture quality.
    I expect that the Samsung Galaxy S5 will also pass the 808 Pureview, too.
    So, I wait.

Device(s)
    Nokia N8
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Samsung today announced the Galaxy K zoom, a point-&-shoot camera / smartphone combination that includes a 20.7-megapixel sensor in a device with a 4.8-inch screen. It's a follow-up to last year's Galaxy S4 Zoom. The K zoom's camera uses a backside illuminated CMOS chip with 10x optical zoom, optical image stabilization, and a xenon flash.
    http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=13994
    Now, I wait for reviews...

Device(s)
    Moto Z Play, Moto Z2 Force, Blackberry Z10
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Wireless
    Feedback Score
    The Nokia 808 can take a 128gb microSD so no need to swap unless you have a lot of content. As many can atest to here the 808 is a beast

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone SE , Sony Ericsson TM-506
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular , Airvoice Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I was using a Symbian phone until January of this year. It's still around; I'm considering turning it over to my wife, who wants a smartphone she can lose for days on end. Fact is, a Nokia Series E offers very good signal and voice quality, a nice keyboard, has a decent camera, can be backed up (so far),... It's too old to have Symbian Belle, so CFW is out. Its value to DW is greater than it would be to anyone else.

I stuck with Symbian for several reasons: the Nokia hardware, the excellent battery life (for a smartphone), and the fact that I do not live on my phone like some people do (last month I sent all of 36 texts ). The sponsoring events for moving on were being unable to update the GPS maps through my Mac and Nokia's almost-immediate end-of-life for the OS (freezing the Store, etc.).

There still are advantages to using Symbian in 2014, but unless one is comfortable with CFW or knows someone who is, it's hard for me to recommend it to anyone. New cross-platform apps aren't being developed. Developers even have abandoned the apps they've already written (not that I blame them). The Store IMO was never very well tended and there does not seem to be an agreed-upon repository now that Microsoft has pulled the plug.

The Series E will work for my wife because it's way better than a feature phone, she's not hung up on apps, and she already has a GPS in her car . It's an OS cast in amber -- not evolving at all, but very solid now and not subject to further deterioration as additional development takes place (because it won't).

Carrier(s)
    Google Fi
    Feedback Score
    After having an iPhone 5S i went back to my nokia 700. mainly because the iPhone was just too expensive to keep. Good old symbian. I am starting to have some problems as in not being able to install some apps and I can't download some state maps in Nokia maps. Fortunately my home state still works. I will hang onto the phone as long as it can call, text and work maps with data.