Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: AT&T Gets 81% of Subs Off Unlimited Data

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Same here, but I have never gotten one. Guess I don't have a life! You can change the in OLAM easy enough.
    Today a group of leading venture capitalists published an open letter to the FCC calling on them to prevent what they say would be the end of net neutrality and a crippling blow to young startups.
    No Google, say it ain't (or wouldn't of been ) so! ATT and Verizon would have killed their own cash cow.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff5093 View Post
    Today, sure. But what about 2-3 years from now?
    Assuming a 25% increase per year in data at the highest use point, that puts me at 14G per month, fully utilizing $130 per month tier of data. That is worst case and is still $50 per month not going to AT&T over what I was paying previous to the value share plan.

Worse, what is to say that AT&T just doesn't pull the rug out from under the remaining unlimited customers in two to three years? The speculative play in continuing to pay for that account when at any point they can just take it away doesn't seem to be a bet in my favor when I can realize the savings now. If competitive pressures prevent AT&T from doing that, then the same competitive pressures will probably keep a lid on data pricing.

Feedback Score
    I doubt AT&T would remove the unlimited data feature. What I think they will continue to do is add more value to newer plans that aren't offered to grandfathered customers. For example the ability to text international customers is only on the newer plans. The hotspot feature is included without additional costs. They could do the same about allowing free international data roaming or removing subsidies or any other added feature. Then it makes people start to think, do I really need to hold on to this old plan that's costing me more just for the sake of keeping unlimited data. Especially when it's throttled after 5Gb in most cases.

Quote Originally Posted by zentec View Post
    Assuming a 25% increase per year in data at the highest use point, that puts me at 14G per month, fully utilizing $130 per month tier of data. That is worst case and is still $50 per month not going to AT&T over what I was paying previous to the value share plan.

Worse, what is to say that AT&T just doesn't pull the rug out from under the remaining unlimited customers in two to three years? The speculative play in continuing to pay for that account when at any point they can just take it away doesn't seem to be a bet in my favor when I can realize the savings now. If competitive pressures prevent AT&T from doing that, then the same competitive pressures will probably keep a lid on data pricing.

via the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by coorey View Post
    I doubt AT&T would remove the unlimited data feature. What I think they will continue to do is add more value to newer plans that aren't offered to grandfathered customers. For example the ability to text international customers is only on the newer plans. The hotspot feature is included without additional costs. They could do the same about allowing free international data roaming or removing subsidies or any other added feature. Then it makes people start to think, do I really need to hold on to this old plan that's costing me more just for the sake of keeping unlimited data. Especially when it's throttled after 5Gb in most cases.
    I think this is a fair assessment. In addition, I believe that data prices will gradually come down and that the price unlimited customers pay for their 5GB of full speed data will be the same or cheaper on a tiered plan. I don't think AT&T will eliminate the subsidy specifically for unlimited customers--but rather everyone. They will then only offer payment options on people who select a new data plan.

Ironically, it will be too limiting to maintain an unlimited data plan. For a person on a single line who uses up all 5GB however, its still worth it right now.

Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T MSV 10+10GB, Sprint Free for a year
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by coorey View Post
    MSV are already the best plans AT&T have ever offered. I really hope that they add better international roaming options, a la T-Mobile.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Hole Sun View Post
    I think this is a fair assessment. In addition, I believe that data prices will gradually come down and that the price unlimited customers pay for their 5GB of full speed data will be the same or cheaper on a tiered plan. I don't think AT&T will eliminate the subsidy specifically for unlimited customers--but rather everyone. They will then only offer payment options on people who select a new data plan.

Ironically, it will be too limiting to maintain an unlimited data plan. For a person on a single line who uses up all 5GB however, its still worth it right now.
    Unlimited customers do get more than 5GB, speeds are just throttled after that. Throttling speeds have gotten a lot better as of late and are no longer a big deal. Actually, even if AT&T did come out with a $30/5GB plan per month, it would still be cheaper in the long run to keep my $22/month LTE unlimited data plan.

Sent from my iPhone 5S.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5