Thread: AT&T Gets 81% of Subs Off Unlimited Data

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

AT&T Gets 81% of Subs Off Unlimited Data

It's working!
    AT&T's recent changes in its pricing and subsidy models are paying off; more than 1 million of its customers have moved from unlimited data plans to tiered Mobile Share options.

As of the first quarter, 81% of AT&T Inc. (NYSE: T) customers were on a tiered data plan -- a 6% bump from the fourth quarter of last year. That's 42.9 million customers who are signed up for usage-based data plans, versus 33.5 million a year earlier. This is a big deal for the carrier as it looks to reduce the number of data hogs on its network.

Despite what CFO John Stephens called a "noisy competitive environment," AT&T managed to add more than 650,000 postpaid customers in the quarter. That net growth -- the strongest first-quarter growth in five years -- was due in large part to the success of both Mobile Share and Next, a plan the company ironically introduced as competitive response to T-Mobile US Inc. (See AT&T Adds 625K Postpaid Subs in Q1.)
    http://www.lightreading.com/mobile/d.../d/d-id/708744
    Today a group of leading venture capitalists published an open letter to the FCC calling on them to prevent what they say would be the end of net neutrality and a crippling blow to young startups.
    No Google, say it ain't (or wouldn't of been ) so! ATT and Verizon would have killed their own cash cow.

Device(s)
    ATT Tilt 2
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    amazing. and i was one of them.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Title is misleading. AT&T decreased the number of unlimited (throttled) data plans by 1 million customers and separately has 81% of their smartphones on usage-based plans. With a total of over 53 million smartphones, that leaves about 10 million still with unlimited data plans (are there any other non-usage based data plans?).

• 81 percent of smartphones on usage-based plans
    • Nearly 1 million unlimited data smartphone subscribers elect to move to usage-based plans
    http://www.att.com/Investor/Earnings...lides_1q14.pdf

Device(s)
    ATT Tilt 2
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by atomic50 View Post
    Title is misleading. AT&T decreased the number of unlimited (throttled) data plans by 1 million customers and separately has 81% of their smartphones on usage-based plans. With a total of over 53 million smartphones, that leaves about 10 million still with unlimited data plans (are there any other non-usage based data plans?).

http://www.att.com/Investor/Earnings...lides_1q14.pdf
    i saw that. its still pretty significant.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Count me in for the rest of the 19% that's not going anywhere. There's no way am I sharing data between a smartphone and tablet, that's AT&Ts way of making me paying overages. I would rather keep things separate and be able to account for data usage from each device.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    Count me in for the rest of the 19% that's not going anywhere. There's no way am I sharing data between a smartphone and tablet, that's AT&Ts way of making me paying overages. I would rather keep things separate and be able to account for data usage from each device.
    Same here. We have 4 smartphones on a family plan and each have unltd data.

via the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    I'll never be a percentage of those who give up unlimited data. I'll be keeping my $22 unlimited data plan till AT&T forces it off my account.

Sent from my iPad Air

Device(s)
    iPhone 5s
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    +1, what she said! ;-) And I'm tethering for free, too! haha
    I have never made it above 6Mbps on my iPhone 4.

Device(s)
    iPhone (Silver) Xs Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    (Dual Sim) T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!! Xfinity Mobile (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, I can't bring myself to let it go.

I would HOPE that this would encourage AT&T to remove the throttling of us Unlimited Data customers.

I do anywhere from 7-9GB a month.

via the HoFo App
    Hofo Veteran - Magenta Disciple

Feedback Score

AT&T Gets 81% of Subs Off Unlimited Data

Quote Originally Posted by Wide_opeN View Post
    Yeah, I can't bring myself to let it go.

I would HOPE that this would encourage AT&T to remove the throttling of us Unlimited Data customers.

I do anywhere from 7-9GB a month.

via the HoFo App
    Remove throttling for us unlimited peeps? Not gonna happen. We're lucky they still give us full subsidy upgrades, unlike Verizon.

Sent from my iPhone 5S.

Feedback Score
    I'm on a single line, and so far AT&T's tiered data plans don't make sense for me. I'm sticking with unlimited data until AT&T offers me more full speed data for the same price than I get before I hit my throttle limit (5GB).

I can see why people on multiple lines would start to leave, but they've done nothing for people on individual plans.

Device(s)
    ATT Tilt 2
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Hole Sun View Post
    I'm on a single line, and so far AT&T's tiered data plans don't make sense for me. I'm sticking with unlimited data until AT&T offers me more full speed data for the same price than I get before I hit my throttle limit (5GB).

I can see why people on multiple lines would start to leave, but they've done nothing for people on individual plans.
    u raise a pretty good point for single line users.

i have three lines and it made sense for me for multiple reasons. however, if i did have only one line i couldn't afford to be throttled so i would likely have to have made the move especially considering the included tethering.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Hole Sun View Post

If AT&T really wanted to get us single line unlimited data users to switch I think they should offer higher amounts of data at a lower price than the 2GB/$60 that they are currently offering. Perhaps they could offer a 6GB plan for the same price as what we are paying for our unlimited plan now like Verizon has for their unlimited data customers.

Sent from my iPad Air.

Feedback Score
    Very true. It is surprising that AT&T has not provided an alternate to individual unlimited data plans. They could offer 7 GB for $30 for changing the unlimited data plan. That might induce some people to change.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techuser1 View Post
    Very true. It is surprising that AT&T has not provided an alternate to individual unlimited data plans. They could offer 7 GB for $30 for changing the unlimited data plan. That might induce some people to change.
    This 7GB/$30 plan sounds nice. Although it wouldn't get me to switch, I do know a few people who would take a plan like this over their throttled unlimited plan.

Sent from my iPad Air.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast