Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anyone used Techsavy for internet or phone?

Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I was with them 2 years ago for internet in Hamilton.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Classic, BlackBerry Priv, Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Gaining popularity in western provinces( started seeing ads lately in Vancouver ). I worked for Bell and they were one of the major reasons we took deacts. Learned a lot about them.

They wholesale their lines from Telus, Shaw(can anyone confirm?), Rogers and Bell. Depending on where you are located.

If you sign up for DSL service, keep in mind you will need phone line service through them on the same account, or be prepared to pay for a dry loop fee. I had a list for the fee, not anymore since I don't work for Bell. But.. it ranges from roughly $5 to $31 I believe, which can change the price you will pay for the bare internet line, unless you get HP with them as well.

Activation fees, up front month, modem fee, activation fee. Also, pricing subject to change because you're not tied into a contract.

Also, if you owe money to the company they are using expect to be denied, or pay off the debt owed.

Other than that, LONG TERM. it works well if that's what you're looking for.

Feedback Score
    distributel

Unlimited 18Mbps/512 kbps $44
    no installation
    no modem rentel
    no activation

Line 1: Wind50 for $45/M
    Line 2: Wish40 for $35/M
    Line 3: Wish40 for $35/M

Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
    distributel

Unlimited 18Mbps/512 kbps $44
    no installation
    no modem rentel
    no activation
    512Kbps upload? What year is it, 1995? LOL

I'm paying TekSavvyy $55.36 w/tax for 300GB at 25/10. This includes my dry loop and static IP fee.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xero9 View Post
    512Kbps upload? What year is it, 1995? LOL

I'm paying TekSavvyy $55.36 w/tax for 300GB at 25/10. This includes my dry loop and static IP fee.
    I know, right. As long as it isn't giving me a reason to switch, no issues in billing or technical outage of any sense in the past 4 years, knock on wood). I am cool.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ron.jace View Post
    I'm with them. Have the cable $52 35Mbps/3Mbps 300GB plan and have had excellent service from them.
    Mhm, with Acanac I pay roughly $56 with HST/GST included, and get unlimited usage. For the same speeds too and extras like VPN, FTP storage etc. They even give me an online server that can reach speeds of 500/200, if I ever need to download a torrent and seed. It's great!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Nokia N900
    Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    I had a Acanac for a little over a year and they were fine. I moved and everything went to garbage - they couldn't/wouldn't have it installed in my new place, and blamed me every step of the way. Acanac is adequate as long as you have no "hiccups". They're borderline fraudsters, IMHO. Remember, you pay the full year in advance. And they don't like giving refunds. Or admitting they screwed up.

With Teksavvy (cable) for the past couple years, they have been phenomenal. 2 outages: 1 when Rogers DNS service went down, and the second I tweeted to them (from phone) and had multiple responses within minutes. About 90% of the time our speed comes in about 10megs faster than our package says. And with constant Netflix and other streaming, we have yet to go over the 300gig cap.

Device(s)
    Samsung S8, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers, Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I was with Teksavvy Cable and was more than satisfied with the service although I wish the upload speeds would improve. The only reason I left is because of an employer discount. Teksavvy DSL however when I had it a few years ago did give me a lot of problems with loss of sync and went through the whole thing of bell trying to say it was not their issue.

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    Samsung S10+
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The only thing that I was disappointed in was that they didn't supply a WiFi modem right out of the gate, fortunately I already had a router. Other than that the speed, price and customer service have all be first class.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mann Incognito View Post
    The only thing that I was disappointed in was that they didn't supply a WiFi modem right out of the gate, fortunately I already had a router. Other than that the speed, price and customer service have all be first class.
    WiFi modems are horrible. They are never powerful enough to be both a router and a modem and they never have good hardware. When I used to be with Bell I had to put mine on a an electrical timer which would cause it to turn off ever single night at 2 am just so I could have 24 hours of stability. There is a reason an Asus rt-ac68u costs $200+. For people who want to have a network they don't have to ever worry about they need to invest in the hardware. Yes it might be convenient to have one box that does everything but it will never compare with 2 devices that will last longer and cause less problems.

Feedback Score
    I disagree. Even my ancient WRT610N never uses more than 2% processor time no matter what I throw at it. I think it's more of thermal issue which causes modem to malfunction after so many hours than processor actually maxing out at 100%.

In terms of DSL/Cable they are just reselling exact same line as whoever installed them. Quality will be same. If there is ever a trouble you may notice longer response time because they have to contact Shaw/Telus/Bell/Rogers on your behalf.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WindCalgary View Post
    I disagree. Even my ancient WRT610N never uses more than 2% processor time no matter what I throw at it. I think it's more of thermal issue which causes modem to malfunction after so many hours than processor actually maxing out at 100%.

In terms of DSL/Cable they are just reselling exact same line as whoever installed them. Quality will be same. If there is ever a trouble you may notice longer response time because they have to contact Shaw/Telus/Bell/Rogers on your behalf.
    Well it depends what internet connection you have and how many active connections are going. A torrent with a large number of connections can really max out a router. Either way it's not just about processing power but also about stability. Thermal issue could also be the cause for the horrible stability.

In the end though I wouldn't recommend anyone use one device instead of a separate router and modem. It is extremely easy to setup a router

Device(s)
    IR GS BL00D Phone X N0 B.efore C.hrist E.ntity.. |nfinite HELLUS™ TnT $pawn + Ted§ Hell Hound TˇTher
    Carrier(s)
    M¤ther Nature !... @SS2MOUTH Death 0f SELFie -> HardWare Opiates
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by onemorecanuck View Post
    I had a Acanac for a little over a year and they were fine. I moved and everything went to garbage - they couldn't/wouldn't have it installed in my new place, and blamed me every step of the way. Acanac is adequate as long as you have no "hiccups". They're borderline fraudsters, IMHO. Remember, you pay the full year in advance. And they don't like giving refunds. Or admitting they screwed up.
    BS in many peoples experience.
    Acanac does not force anyone to pay a year in advance.
    Truly how can any whole seller guarantee any better reliability on the last mile of network when that infrastructure owner is responsible? They simply can't.
    While I support Open Media, TS and Acanac for Kicking Bells Butt proving again what liars BCE are I can only offer a free month of Unlimited Acanac DSL or Cable.
    If interested PM TZ for details. http://www.acanac.ca
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...9#post11366749
    Asus rt-ac68u costs $200+. ...... Yes it might be convenient to have one box that does everything but it will never compare with 2
    True and No Comment

Feedback Score
    I compared Cisco ASA 5515-X + Aironet AP with WRT610N ancient saucer shape router

I found no difference in speed on my laptop while desktop is running torrents.

I was once in that crowd of getting most powerful networking hardware every year (hence why I have this WRT 610N) but I eventually figured out just about anything is good enough. E4200 was my last top of line router purchase, and I sold it soon after.

If you feel that $200+ router is going to give you a better performance go spend money on them but I'm happy with $30 refurb unit nowdays.

Device(s)
    Nokia N900
    Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TelecomZombie View Post
    BS in many peoples experience.
    Acanac does not force anyone to pay a year in advance.
    I'm sorry, I don't quite get your comment. Are you saying what I actually experienced was: BS in the sense it never should have happened, or BS in the sense that I'm lying?

Because I did have to pay the year in advance. And Acanac did completely drop the ball and then blame me (said I wasn't home to meet tech, when I was, also accused me of sabotaging the modem), blamed Bell, building security, the building itself and just about everything and everyone else for their lack of CS and desire to fix the issue or provide a suitable refund. They also refused to give me a direct line to billing - said billing could only make outgoing calls, not receive any. This went on for weeks.

And that was in addition to billing me for a few months that I had called and had the service suspended.

If you truly don't believe me, go dig around Acanac's DSLReports pages for Oct/Nov/Dec 2010. If they haven't been "pruned", it's all there. Including Acanac's asinine responses.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast