Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wind unreliable for roaming

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score

Wind unreliable for roaming

I just moved to Switzerland, and not being sure if I could buy a local SIM the day I landed, and nobody being certain if payphones were still around, I decided I would get the roaming plan. I was successfully roaming on Rogers in Victoria throughout February, so I know roaming wasn't disabled, but I was unable to roam internationally, not in London, not in France, not in Germany and not in Switzerland, also whether I used my Nexus 4 or Lumia 710.

My ex has also had troubles roaming in the US with Wind.

Despite the attractive prices, I wouldn't expect to be able to rely on Wind for roaming outside Canada.
    The word 'Pentaband' means '5 Bands', from the Greek word 'pente' meaning '5'. For a phone to be pentaband it has to support 5 bands. If the phone has AWS support, it doesn't automatically mean that it is pentaband.

Don't send me PMs for questions that can be asked publicly.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    On your Wind Account under Manage Opt-in Features is your International Calling and International Roaming turned on?

Feedback Score
    Also, don't you have to select the network manually add well? Thought I read that on WIND somewhere.

Carrier(s)
    FREEDOM
    Feedback Score
    In January I was in London UK, I had the European roaming plan on my Nexus 4 and I could not connect. I called WIND customer service and was immediately transferred to their second level support. Their solution : Open app drawer - SIM toolkit - select visited networks . This did the trick and I was on roaming for the rest of my trip. This is assuming you have international roaming activated. Hope this works for you.

Feedback Score
    I've just came back from a 3 week trip and attempted to roam in 7 countries. From my experience, wind totally sucked and I will leave it at home for future trips.

You do have to do this in most cases:

1) On your device click on the icon that says WIND

2) Click on International Roaming

3) Click on “Re-select Visited Networks”

4) Please wait for about 2 minutes and let your phone connect to a network.

5) If your phone does not connect to a network on it’s own please follow the following steps

6) Click on SettingsàNetworkàSelect NetworkàManualàand let it search for the network.

However in 3 out of 7 countries, even though I was able to register on the networks (and receive welcome SMS), outgoing or incoming calls didn't work. What is worse, voicemail didn't work either. If I called my wind number, I would get a message that caller is currently not available (and NOT my voicemail) even though I was registered on the network!

If I would turn off my phone, I would get FAST busy when calling my wind number!! Even though I have voicemail I pay for!! Completely useless. Better off leave phone at home. At least then voicemail would work.

Also, when I tried to forward ALL calls using web interface, I would get fast busy when calling my number.

I've contacted the support both by phone and email. I've received above instruction. Also issue was escalated by level 2 support to the network team. They never got back and roaming never worked in one country for the whole week I was there.

In the countries where roaming seemed to work, tested outgoing/incoming calls seemed to work, no calls actually came in. And when call came in while my phone was off, I was charged $3 for forward to voicemail!

I've used it in the USA and roaming over there worked fine. However, in the future, my wind phone will stay home.

On the other hand, I have several overseas SIMs that can roam everywhere and work like in their home country. No need to Re-select visited network or anything like that.

Device(s)
    Asus ZenFone 2 Laser w/LOS14.1
    Carrier(s)
    Public Mobile, Chatr, formerly Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Sorry you had issues with roaming. We were in Europe last summer and both phones (LG G2x at the time) roamed very well. We had good coverage for voice and text in France, Belgium, Italy and the UK. The only hitch was when changing going to a new country, when it sometimes took about half an hour to register on the new network. After that (ie once we received the "welcome" text from Wind) it was solid.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score
    Same problems exist with Mobilicity. On one of my trips I was able to connect to one network, but only SMS would work. If I manually connect to another network, then I can make phone calls but sms wouldnt work!! So I had to flip back and forth. Finally, a call from an "unknown number" showed up in my bill (I didnt actually receive this call at all!!), and it said 13 minutes - which drained my wallet balance.

It was my word against theirs so I never got that $40 or so back. On the other hand - Telus' roaming works amazingly well, I have not been charged for VM, texts worked as they should and I wasnt billed for a minute extra than what I used.

Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score

Europe and Wind

When I was in Europe the Olympics were on, and I had the new Roaming package with Wind. The only hiccup I ran into was even though I had added the package, was when I landed in Amsterdam it didn't work! I had to call in to get my phone unlocked, and once I had done that it worked perfectly! For 21 days in Prague, Budapest and all up Germany, Austria, Slovakia and The Netherlands I never once had to select the network, or change a setting. I came home to a roaming bill that included a small amount of Data and 80 min's of LD back to Canada that was around $25..

Best Roaming Experience Ever.

Its not shown well, But unlocking your phone may help.

D.

Device(s)
    i576, i355, i700+
    Carrier(s)
    MiKE
    Feedback Score
    If you roam in a country with a Vimplecom owned carrier, do you have to use that carrier?

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by artekds View Post
    In January I was in London UK, I had the European roaming plan on my Nexus 4 and I could not connect. I called WIND customer service and was immediately transferred to their second level support. Their solution : Open app drawer - SIM toolkit - select visited networks . This did the trick and I was on roaming for the rest of my trip. This is assuming you have international roaming activated. Hope this works for you.
    Damit, I had the exact same problem in the same location (London) with the same setup (Nexus 4 with European roaming activated) but WIND customer service never did come up with anything to help me... so roaming never worked the whole time I was there. I'm happy to hear it worked for you, but I wish they would have been given me a solution.

Feedback Score
    I couldnt figure out how to get WIND roaming to work in Costa Rica either. Tried to manually connect to Wind's partner network and it failed. I endabled roaming on my Wind account before leaving.

Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I don't know about other countries, But I would like to hear how people have had luck outside of Can/USA, When they have the phone unlocked, versus still carrier locked. Like I said in my previous post, My phone works normal in CA/USA but even thought I had all the roaming features turned on, It didn't work in the EU until I unlocked it, then it worked perfectly, Even though it was a Wind SIM.

Unlocked I took a Vodaphone Sim To Cuba/Columbia/Panama/CostaRica/Mexico. With no issue's as well... Wind There obviously would have been too expensive.

D..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DavesBB View Post
    I don't know about other countries, But I would like to hear how people have had luck outside of Can/USA, When they have the phone unlocked, versus still carrier locked. Like I said in my previous post, My phone works normal in CA/USA but even thought I had all the roaming features turned on, It didn't work in the EU until I unlocked it, then it worked perfectly, Even though it was a Wind SIM.

Unlocked I took a Vodaphone Sim To Cuba/Columbia/Panama/CostaRica/Mexico. With no issue's as well... Wind There obviously would have been too expensive.

D..
    Unlocking the phone has NOTHING to do with roaming. In the countries where roaming was supposed to work but didn't, I have tried my wind sim in THREE different unlocked phones (one of them being wind unlocked phone). It didn't work in any of them. I could register but not receive or place any calls. It was a big waste of time. Better just leave wind at home and get a local sim.

Unlocking the phone will just allow you to use ANY sim in your phone.

Device(s)
    Asus ZenFone 2 Laser w/LOS14.1
    Carrier(s)
    Public Mobile, Chatr, formerly Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Can the OP perhaps retitle the thread, as the title comes across as a general statement rather than the anecdotal experiences described within. Plus, the thread is referring to international roaming but the title suggests *all* roaming. Perhaps "Actual experiences with international roaming" would be a more accurate title, in line with the thread on US roaming?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    I see the EU has directed that EU roaming be charged at the same rates as in the home country. This could be great news for travellers - as long as you have one functional SIM for one country, you'd be able to use it fully in all EU countries.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast