Thread: Emoji compatibility between Japanese feature phones and international Android phones

Carrier(s)
    NTT docomo / Telekom.de
    Feedback Score

Emoji compatibility between Japanese feature phones and international Android phones

Hi there forum!

First of all, I'm not sure if this topic belongs here or in the Japanese Android Phone forum. Please move it, if you think it fits better somewhere else. Thanks. (^。^)♪

I was wondering, does anybody of you know whether Google's standard KitKat emoji (😊😁😅😠🎃🎌📱🐱⤴✨🕔 etc...) from non-japanese Android devices are compatible to docomo / Softbank / au feature phones? Do Japanese feature phones display them correctly in e-mails sent by overseas Android smartphones and vice versa?

Apple's iOS emoji are compatible, as far as I know. Not entirely sure, though.

I can't test it myself at the moment, but I'd appreciate it if someone could share first hand experiences.

Thanks a lot!

Device(s)
    Sony Xperia Z5 Premium E6853
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA / T-Mobile Germany / Orange Poland /
    Feedback Score
    I think back when I had my SH-01D, some of the emoji worked when sent to my GT-i9250 Nexus (picked that up while on vacation in Berlin a long time ago). But when both handsets had Go SMS installed all the emoji worked. Although I didn't really try Google's standard kit being that back then 4.1 was the highest available and KitKat wasn't available yet.

I'm sure if both devices is using some similar SMS application it would be cross-compatible.

It's all good (^_^)

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...668534-IonNuke <<< My Feedback... rising from the dead.

Everyone's on their own for hypersims. I'm out har har har har har~~~~

Carrier(s)
    NTT docomo / Telekom.de
    Feedback Score
    Well, I'm not surprised that it works between the SH-01D and the Galaxy Nexus. Both are Android devices after all.

But actually my question was whether emoji work when sent from a (non-Japanese) Android smartphone to a Japanese feature phone (and vice versa). I imagine that's when it gets messy.

I remember that even German i-mode phones couldn't display emoji that were sent from a docomo phone (for some odd reason the opposite way worked )...

So it wouldn't surprise me at all if we'd have similar issues today.

Device(s)
    too many to place them here
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile(main)
    Feedback Score
    Not all emojis are encoded properly and it will depend on whether your device supports them or not, devices that don't run the 4.4 update won't see all emojis aside from android standard emoticons however if you have 4.4.2 you should be able to see some emojis supported by the os

via the HoFo App
    We lose as much as we gain through life, and that includes who we used to be.

I WANT TO BUY A FUJITSU ESPRIMO DH550!!

Carrier(s)
    NTT docomo / Telekom.de
    Feedback Score
    How about the opposite? Do Japanese feature phones (docomo i-mode phones for example) display some emoji in emails that have been sent from a western Android 4.4.x smartphone?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile(main)
    Feedback Score
    Like I said it depends on the os and whether your phone supports them or not

via the HoFo App

Carrier(s)
    NTT docomo / Telekom.de
    Feedback Score
    Theoretically that's clear, of course. But what about first hand experiences?

Again:

Sender: Smartphone with Android KitKat OS (the standard KitKat keyboard has emoji input).
    Receiver: docomo feature phone.

Will (at least some) emoji be displayed on the receiving docomo phone? If so, which emoji?
    Who has first hand experiences?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile(main)
    Feedback Score
    There are no first hands experience mainly because western phones don't fully support emoji input and android is limited to a set of Unicode characters(kit Kat keyboard), Japanese phones have the jis encoding therefore it may or it may not recognize emoji characters.

via the HoFo App

Carrier(s)
    NTT docomo / Telekom.de
    Feedback Score
    I see. Is there a difference to the iOS emoji?
    A few years ago I was exchanging e-mails with an iPhone user in Europe and emoji worked in both directions. I was on docomo in Japan at that time.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile(main)
    Feedback Score
    IOS uses the Japanese encoding for emoji even when you are sending a message in English the phones recognize them because they are using the same encoding , a feature phone may not recognize some characters since their os is Symbian based and they have been heavily modified to suit the carrier needs but a smart phone is a different thing, they support them but again is all on the way characters are encoded on the phone and through the carrier.

via the HoFo App

Carrier(s)
    NTT docomo / Telekom.de
    Feedback Score
    I see.

But isn't it curious, that Android is doing a worse job than iOS when it comes to emoji? After all, there are much more Android than iOS devices in Japan and in the world...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile(main)
    Feedback Score
    The iPhone arrived first than android devices, the carriers adopted android as a way to fight SoftBank iPhone dominance, android is more adopted in America and Europe but emoji itself is a Japan only thing, the only reason why it have been adopted is because the iPhone made it a standard feature on its device but the majority of people don't use it or feel they don't need it.

Emoji work on Japanese android devices because they have the proper fonts to support them

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    Nokia 6230b (5.50 with Chinese)
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    some of the instagram emoji shows up on my fujitsu, but not all of it does. all of it doesn't seem to show on the s2 i have though