Thread: LTE Mobile HotSpot Pro

Feedback Score

LTE Mobile HotSpot Pro

Samsung LTE Mobile HotSpot Pro (model SM-V100T) for T-Mobile

Hi I picked up one of these and I wanted to know if it would work well if I ever needed to take it to AT&T. I don't have a solid understanding of networks and hotspot device compatibility. Did some searching on-line and this is all I could find:

Network
    3G/4G/LTE Capable
    3G/UMTS: Band I (UMTS 2100), Band II (1900), Band IV (1700/2100/AWS), Band V (850)
    LTE: Band 4, Band 17

http://support.t-mobile.com/communit...le-hotspot-pro

All the above said. Does anyone have experience taking an unlocked hotspot to AT&T or abroad for use on a different carrier (with a local sim abroad). Do these devices work well or will there be lots of issues considering this hot spot was made for use on T-Mobile. I know T-Mobile has international roaming, but I'm more interested in compatibility with other service providers. I'm not sure how plug and play these devices are or if they require some manual reconfiguration once on a different network.

Any input/ explanation on 3G, 4G, and LTE compatibility would be much appreciated. Thanks!

via the HoFo App

Carrier(s)
    VoiceStream Wireless
    Feedback Score
    You shouldn't have a problem using this device on the VS/Tmo network: it supports all the necessary bands for 3G access up to 42 Mbps: 1900 MHz, and 1700/2100 MHz (AWS). Note that what is often called 4G, using HSDPA, is simply advanced 3G. True 4G is LTE.

Meanwhile, you will only be able to use LTE at the AWS frequencies, as your device supports LTE band 17, instead of band 12. (Cingular owns band17 spectra, VS owns band 12 spectra, acquired from Verizon, and band 4 is 1700/2100 MHz.)

Hope this helps,
    R

Feedback Score
    Thanks for responding. By "VS" are you referring to VoiceStream (now T-Mobile)? That's my only guess. You mentioned VS a couple times so I'm trying to get clarification.

My biggest take away from your response was that it will work on T-Mobile 3G and 4G. Apologies for any confusion, but I already understood it would work on T-Mobile, the device is made for and sold by T-Mobile. So it sure should work.

I was wondering if it would work on AT&T or on a foreign carrier, a) based on network bands supported and b) this relatively simple devices should function on a plug and play manner or will I need to reconfigure.? So placing an AT&T SIM card should auto configure the hotspot.

Does anyone have any experience they could share about taking a hotspot device to a different carrier than the one it was originally sold for and by?

via the HoFo App

Carrier(s)
    VoiceStream Wireless
    Feedback Score

Dallas

Yeah. My family and I have been T-Mobile customers since *forever*. Also, if the hotspot is unlocked, it SHOULD work on Cingular/AT$T. 2G/3G at 850/1900 MHz, 3G HSPA+ on AWS, and 4G LTE on band 17. The device does NOT support auto-configuration; you will have to set the new APN manually.

I have an unlocked 3G mobile hotspot, and I have to reconfigure it for each different carrier. (Auto-configuration does not work properly, or only works with Cingular/AT$T SmartChips[tm])

Your mileage may vary.

-R
    Last edited by ricky_v_3392; 04-01-2014 at 06:45 AM.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score

How about Verizon Pucks?

Do you know if Verizon LTE hotspots are locked to Verizon? I was under the impression that Verizon devices with SIM cards were unlocked.

I can put my T-Mobile mico SIM in a Novatel/Verizon 5510L jetpack and it picks up T-Mobile's AWS LTE network just fine, but I'm unable to connect. This is even after changing the APN name to fast.t-mobile.com. Unfortunately, I'm not able to change any other APN settings or create a new profile for the data network T-Mobile without some kind of web admin. page software hack. Maybe T-Mobile is white listing devices? Sorry to highjack this thread, but it's a timely question for me. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ricky_v_3392 View Post
    Yeah. My family and I have been T-Mobile customers since *forever*. Also, if the hotspot is unlocked, it SHOULD work on Cingular/AT$T. 2G/3G at 850/1900 MHz, 3G HSPA+ on AWS, and 4G LTE on band 17. The device does NOT support auto-configuration; you will have to set the new APN manually.

I have an unlocked 3G mobile hotspot, and I have to reconfigure it for each different carrier. (Auto-configuration does not work properly, or only works with Cingular/AT$T SmartChips[tm])

Your mileage may vary.

-R

Feedback Score
    Verizon is required to have unlocked phones, but you want to check I that settlement applies to other devices like a mobile hotspot, tablets etc. That at minimum should let you know if you should assume it's unlocked.

Also, what kind of sim did you try to use? Postpaid or prepaid and what kind of plan? I'm not sure how T-Mobile can tell, but on their network a t-mobile branded hotspot will not work with an active T-Mobile sim provisioned for a smart phone (in other words the the sim has to be for a mobile broadband plan).

via the HoFo App

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Thanks. The SIM is a recent one (Dec. '13) that I use with my Nokia 521 on a post paid family account and the plan is the last generation Value Plan with no tethering option enabled. I thought I could get around the whole broadband SIM card requirement by using the Verizon puck.

Quote Originally Posted by 8_8 View Post
    Verizon is required to have unlocked phones, but you want to check I that settlement applies to other devices like a mobile hotspot, tablets etc. That at minimum should let you know if you should assume it's unlocked.

Also, what kind of sim did you try to use? Postpaid or prepaid and what kind of plan? I'm not sure how T-Mobile can tell, but on their network a t-mobile branded hotspot will not work with an active T-Mobile sim provisioned for a smart phone (in other words the the sim has to be for a mobile broadband plan).

via the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    That might be the issue, but an educated guess. You might need to get a sim provisioned for mobile broadband.

The plans just got better. Least expensive is $20 for 1GB and it's unlimited, so throttled after you hit that 1GB. Keep in mind that if you added this type of line to your family account, the you get a $10 break, so the 1GB plan would cost only $10. For when you know you need more data you can up it to the $30 3GB plan ($20 after the $10 discount).

You should try popping in a sim that might be on a mobile broadband device at the store. When the T-Mobile stores aren't busy they are helpful with learning new things, plus it educates them on a potential newarket.

Keep us posted.

-R thanks for replying to my original post.

I wouldn't mind hearing if anyone has tried this with the Samsung model I originally wrote about. Particularly if used abroad with a local sim or domestically with an AT&T sim.

Sounds like the Samsung LTE HotSpot PRO has the required hardware. Thanks.

via the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by N900Fan View Post
    Thanks. The SIM is a recent one (Dec. '13) that I use with my Nokia 521 on a post paid family account and the plan is the last generation Value Plan with no tethering option enabled. I thought I could get around the whole broadband SIM card requirement by using the Verizon puck.
    You can't use a SIM provisioned on a phone account in a broadband device. T-Mobile has some way to detect and block it as your test showed. It doesn't matter that the puck is Verizon branded or from some other manufacturer.

Feedback Score

Samsung V100T doesn't work on AT&T

I tried various APN's and was not successful in getting this Hotspot to work on AT&T. So I'm still using T-Mobile. Would love to have the option of also being able to pop in my AT&T SIM and use their network too.

Maybe someone else has figured out a way?

Feedback Score
    I am getting conflicting infor as to whether the Samsung LTE Mobile Hotspot works on UTMS Band 1. The specs mention 2100 but that is also part of Band 4, which T-Mobile does use. Specifically, I want to use the Hotspot in Japan where, I am told, T-Mobile's partners are on UTMS 1. Has anybody tried the device in Japan? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you.