Thread: Moto G now available on Wind

Device(s)
    Nexus One 850/1900/2100
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cmstlist View Post
    More specifically it's tri-band:
    The "USA" model is 850/1900/AWS. Works on all North American HSPA networks but no 3G in Europe or most of Asia. WIND has this one.
    The "International" model is 850/1900/2100. Supports Big3, AT&T, and the most common 3G band in Europe & Asia. The Big3 are selling this one.
    The AWS model will work on the all-important 2100mhz band for roaming the world. As you know, AWS includes 1700mhz and 2100mhz frequencies.

The phone is capable. The big difference is the 900mhz band missing, which isn't terribly problematic.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeMurphy View Post
    The AWS model will work on the all-important 2100mhz band for roaming the world. As you know, AWS includes 1700mhz and 2100mhz frequencies.

The phone is capable. The big difference is the 900mhz band missing, which isn't terribly problematic.
    Remember that Band I (2100 - IMT) is composed of the upstream 1900 MHz frequency range we use here for Band II (PCS), and the downstream 2100 MHz frequency range we use here for Band IV (1700 - AWS). While the Moto G does support both of those frequency ranges, you cannot automatically assume that its radio will work on Band I. If it has not been explicitly designed to recognize that band, then it will recognize downstream 2100 MHz signals but unsuccessfully attempt to respond at 1700 MHz.

Since the AWS model does not list Band I as an HSPA frequency it is best to assume that it will not work on Band I.

Feedback Score
    Can anyone comment on the reception with the Moto G? I am considering switch over if it performs better than the Nexus 4.

Device(s)
    Nexus One 850/1900/2100
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Remember that Band I (2100 - IMT) is composed of the upstream 1900 MHz frequency range we use here for Band II (PCS), and the downstream 2100 MHz frequency range we use here for Band IV (1700 - AWS). While the Moto G does support both of those frequency ranges, you cannot automatically assume that its radio will work on Band I. If it has not been explicitly designed to recognize that band, then it will recognize downstream 2100 MHz signals but unsuccessfully attempt to respond at 1700 MHz.

Since the AWS model does not list Band I as an HSPA frequency it is best to assume that it will not work on Band I.
    Thanks for this. I'd like to confirm but can't find it anywhere online.

I'd be SHOCKED if this rather new phone doesn't have full 2100mhz connectivity necessary for worldwide roaming. The AWS model is really trading the 900mhz band for 1700mhz, not gimping the 2100mhz in the process.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by will888 View Post
    Can anyone comment on the reception with the Moto G? I am considering switch over if it performs better than the Nexus 4.
    I never had the Nexus 4 but I have no issues with reception using the Moto G. Pretty good phone for the price.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeMurphy View Post
    Thanks for this. I'd like to confirm but can't find it anywhere online.

I'd be SHOCKED if this rather new phone doesn't have full 2100mhz connectivity necessary for worldwide roaming. The AWS model is really trading the 900mhz band for 1700mhz, not gimping the 2100mhz in the process.
    EDIT: sorry didn't see the 900 MHz HSPA in the spec.

I think the issue may be that the phone's budget chipset may be limited on the number of distinct HSPA bands. There are other devices on the market that have AWS but not Band I. It's unusual but completely possible.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue17 View Post
    I never had the Nexus 4 but I have no issues with reception using the Moto G. Pretty good phone for the price.
    I am not saying the nexus 4 has reception issues. Compared to my tablet, it seems weak. I can get a signal the basement with the tablet but not with phone. Above ground, I get full signal on the tablet, only 2 bars the phone. I appreciate the tablet has far more room in the enclosure to stuff a larger antenna. Just thinking there may better phones out there that are closer to tablet capability.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using HowardForums

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    I am not saying the nexus 4 has reception issues. Compared to my tablet, it seems weak. I can get a signal the basement with the tablet but not with phone. Above ground, I get full signal on the tablet, only 2 bars the phone. I appreciate the tablet has far more room in the enclosure to stuff a larger antenna. Just thinking there may better phones out there that are closer to tablet capability.

For what it's worth the Nexus 5 has the best radio I've had in a phone with respect to WIND reception. Big improvement over Galaxy Nexus.

Feedback Score
    For what it's worth the Nexus 5 has the best radio I've had in a phone with respect to WIND reception. Big improvement over Galaxy Nexus.
    I don't have the nexus 5 on my radar at the moment because it is still rather pricey. Maybe I should wait a bit then.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    I don't have the nexus 5 on my radar at the moment because it is still rather pricey. Maybe I should wait a bit then.
    I think if you have N4 already and you're looking at the Moto G, the differences will be a wash. Unless the radio is better.

N5 is not that pricey unlocked from Google. But unless it offers you a specific advantage, it may not warrant the upgrade from N4.

Feedback Score
    I think if you have N4 already and you're looking at the Moto G, the differences will be a wash. Unless the radio is better.

N5 is not that pricey unlocked from Google. But unless it offers you a specific advantage, it may not warrant the upgrade from N4.
    I hear good things about Motorola phones for their signal capability. Seeing that the Moto G is cheap, I was thinking of giving a try. My nexus 4 still has warranty left, so it is hard to justify the expense of a nexus 5 so soon. I might pop into my local Wind store and see if they have a tester.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile, Rogers, Public Mobile, T-Mobile, 3 UK
    Feedback Score
    EDIT: sorry didn't see the 900 MHz HSPA in the spec.

I think the issue may be that the phone's budget chipset may be limited on the number of distinct HSPA bands. There are other devices on the market that have AWS but not Band I. It's unusual but completely possible.

T-Mobile had several phones that had band 4 but not band 1. I distinctly remember Nokia 3555 was one of those models that came in multiple versions and the one that had band 4 (AWS) did not have UMT (band 1). I'd be very surprised if any recent phones didn't have both, but you are right that it's completely possible.
    All comments are my own opinion and do not reflect the views of my employer or affiliated groups.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonavin View Post
    T-Mobile had several phones that had band 4 but not band 1. I distinctly remember Nokia 3555 was one of those models that came in multiple versions and the one that had band 4 (AWS) did not have UMT (band 1). I'd be very surprised if any recent phones didn't have both, but you are right that it's completely possible.
    Yeah, see, I'm wondering if in addition to saving money with an HSPA-only chipset, they trimmed even further and used hardware that was not designed to support a pentaband configuration. Customizing it would have squeezed the cost margin that extra little bit more.

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Kinda expensive compared to Koodo, but it's still a good deal at that price.
    The word 'Pentaband' means '5 Bands', from the Greek word 'pente' meaning '5'. For a phone to be pentaband it has to support 5 bands. If the phone has AWS support, it doesn't automatically mean that it is pentaband.

Don't send me PMs for questions that can be asked publicly.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    Kinda expensive compared to Koodo, but it's still a good deal at that price.
    This radio and storage variant doesn't appear to be sold anywhere, either here or USA, for much under $199 US. At least through official channels.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast