Thread: Page Plus vs. Selectel

Feedback Score

Page Plus vs. Selectel

Hi,

Have a few questions for users of either of these two plans.

Planning to Transfer a Verizon Phone to one of these carriers with their $30 dollar/month plans. On paper Selectel looks a little better because they look to have roaming and give you a little more talk/test/data for the same money but was wondering:

1.If you say use up the texts that month are you done for the month or can you still just use talk and or data for the remainder of the month for both providers

2. Do remaing times for talk/text/data show up on the phones like Tracfone. If not do either or both have an easy lookup on their website for usage for the month or do you just get a shuttoff surprise.

3. Do unused times roll over for either?

3. Is the phone service itself good for both/either and is there anything else different that i should know to make a better choice?

Thanks for your inputs

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jump096 View Post
    Hi,

Have a few questions for users of either of these two plans.

Planning to Transfer a Verizon Phone to one of these carriers with their $30 dollar/month plans. On paper Selectel looks a little better because they look to have roaming and give you a little more talk/test/data for the same money but was wondering:

1.If you say use up the texts that month are you done for the month or can you still just use talk and or data for the remainder of the month for both providers

2. Do remaing times for talk/text/data show up on the phones like Tracfone. If not do either or both have an easy lookup on their website for usage for the month or do you just get a shuttoff surprise.

3. Do unused times roll over for either?

3. Is the phone service itself good for both/either and is there anything else different that i should know to make a better choice?

Thanks for your inputs
    1. Yes.
    2. No. PPC has significantly better online account records. PPC also has the ability to text bal to 7243 to get remaining allowances and cash balance, which Selectel doesn't offer as far as I know.
    3. No, except if you have a cash balance, which does continue to roll over with monthly plan renewals until/unless it is used up.
    3. Usually any phone that will work on one will work on the other.

One thing to take into consideration is whether or not you live near or travel to one of the roaming/Vzw extended coverage areas, where Selectel's service includes VOICE service (and SMS, but so does PPC) at no additional cost. If not, then the 200MB of additional cellular data included with PPC's $29.95 TnT1200, along with potentially higher stability due to being in business for so many years, might be the most important deciding factor for many users, depending on usage needs.

Feedback Score
    Thanks

On question 1 is the yes - yes you are done for the month, or yes you can still use voice or data?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jump096 View Post
    Thanks

On question 1 is the yes - yes you are done for the month, or yes you can still use voice or data?
    You can continue using other allowances even if one is used up.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 5 CDMA-V 32GB Black (Jailbroken)
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk CDMA-V LTE
    Feedback Score
    I was last on PagePlus, but when I traveled, I lost coverage due to roaming. I'll be traveling quite a bit here soon, and would like to have better voice coverage. Selectel looks quite favorable for free roaming.

Has anyone tried Selectel? Is their service as reliable as Page Plus or native Verizon?

Will they activate my Verizon iPhone 4, which was previously activated on Page Plus?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Raditude View Post
    I was last on PagePlus, but when I traveled, I lost coverage due to roaming. I'll be traveling quite a bit here soon, and would like to have better voice coverage. Selectel looks quite favorable for free roaming.

Has anyone tried Selectel? Is their service as reliable as Page Plus or native Verizon?

Will they activate my Verizon iPhone 4, which was previously activated on Page Plus?
    If you lost service completely, and you weren't able to double dial to complete calls with a cash balance, or if you couldn't send/receive SMS, Selectel won't help you. Selectel's only advantage over PPC is that Seletel includes VOICE service in the Vzw extended network (roaming partners) areas for no additional charge. PPC DOES have voice service in those same Vzw extended network areas for an extra per minute charge, as well SMS service with no additional charge. So, if you had no service at all with PPC in the areas you traveled, you won't have any service with Selectel, either.

Regarding service, based on reports I've read, Selectel has been reliable so far. The only negative is lower cellular data allowances than PPC on several of the plans, with the positive of no extra charge VOICE service on the Vzw extended network. Neither PPC or Selectel can use cellular data on the Vzw extended network.

As far as I know, a Vzw iPhone 4 should work the same on Selectel as it does on PPC.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 5 CDMA-V 32GB Black (Jailbroken)
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk CDMA-V LTE
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    If you lost service completely, and you weren't able to double dial to complete calls with a cash balance, or if you couldn't send/receive SMS, Selectel won't help you. Selectel's only advantage over PPC is that Seletel includes VOICE service in the Vzw extended network (roaming partners) areas for no additional charge. PPC DOES have voice service in those same Vzw extended network areas for an extra per minute charge, as well SMS service with no additional charge. So, if you had no service at all with PPC in the areas you traveled, you won't have any service with Selectel, either.

Regarding service, based on reports I've read, Selectel has been reliable so far. The only negative is lower cellular data allowances than PPC on several of the plans, with the positive of no extra charge VOICE service on the Vzw extended network. Neither PPC or Selectel can use cellular data on the Vzw extended network.

As far as I know, a Vzw iPhone 4 should work the same on Selectel as it does on PPC.
    Awesome, this should work for me. Thank you.

Feedback Score
    I switched from PP to Selectel Nov 2013. Works better for my use as I am a med data user and very light text and talk and Selectels extra data in only .05 . I'm on the $75 yearly plan and pay for data as I go. The Quality of coverage and connection is the same as PP. The extended Verizon coverage is great as Western Md and West Va.would be roaming on PP for me.

I'm very happy Selectel customer.

Yes PP web interface is better but it's ok for me..
    BTW Selectel is owned by a small local phone company in Neb.I don't think they are going anywhere!
    Huawei XT2-Red Pocket $5 Month plan
    Alcatell ?- Red Pocket $10 Month Plan ($99 ebay)
    Samsung Gusto- Page Plus $30 year
    Moto E 1st Gen 3g Factory reset in a drawer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jonfone View Post
    I'm on the $75 yearly plan and pay for data as I go.
    This is EXACTLY what I'm doing. $75 yearly plan and pay for data as I go. I'm making use of wifi every chance I can. Yes, I wish the website was a little better. (They should at least get it encrypted). But otherwise I'm happy.

-Bryan

Feedback Score
    I had a different question about these 2 mvno's. I currently use pageplus and am considering switching. At the time I signed up for pageplus, you had to carry a balance on your phone with the monthly plans or between the hours of midnight and 4 am (or whatever time your plan renewed) you couldn't use your phone. I don't even know if this is still true on pageplus. I never had an issue with that. I'm just wondering if selectel has any weird breaks in service with their monthly renewed plans to know if I will NEED to carry a flex card balance.

Thanks.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    No need to have a flex card as the plans do not gap with selectel.

via the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    This may be a deciding factor for only a small group of people, but Page Plus has more Pay as you go options. If you're the kind who fluctuates usage throughout the year, then Page Plus may work better. Selectel only has the $75 a year plan for pay as you go.

Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Windows Mobile; Opera Mini/5.1.21595/34.1526; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/11.10)

selectel's on line account management gives info about 3 days old and it seems not to be accounting for all calls and texts. is olam supposed to show i have mms and sms activated? mms is also not working in spite of my asking customer service to reset it. anyone else having problems with mms and olam?
    ppc's olam was up to date & showed all account options including texting, and mms worked.