Thread: N9 still a noteworthy phone

Device(s)
    Moto Z Play, Moto Z2 Force, Blackberry Z10
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Wireless
    Feedback Score

N9 still a noteworthy phone

While riding the subway today someone noticed my N9 and started to converse about it. He didn't confuse it with the Lumia. Though it is not new it is still an object of beauty that impresses onlookers.

Device(s)
    Moto G6, Nokia 6.1
    Carrier(s)
    T- Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kingstu View Post
    While riding the subway today someone noticed my N9 and started to converse about it. He didn't confuse it with the Lumia. Though it is not new it is still an object of beauty that impresses onlookers.
    I have tried using the WP 7.5/8 and WP8 on two different phones. I really wanted to like these lumias but there is just too much missing. Just yesterday, I tried to transfer files from my sd card to my onedrive. The lumia doesn't have enough memory so I have to have an sd card. The onedrive app doesn't even see the sd card. A quick search on the nokia forums tells me it doesn't work. I can transfer anything on my N9 to skydrive from the app. I also tried downloading a song to the lumia -- the song would play but there is no way to download it to the phone without using a computer and transferring it. I can download anything to the N9 and save it where I want. It is sad that my two year old N9 with a single core processor remains more capable than a phone two year newer because WP has no real file management. I am sticking with this N9 until I can get a Jolla here in America.

Device(s)
    NOKIA Lumia 1520, NOKIA Lumia 920 (wife's phone, NOW)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberstoic View Post
    I have tried using the WP 7.5/8 and WP8 on two different phones. I really wanted to like these lumias but there is just too much missing. Just yesterday, I tried to transfer files from my sd card to my onedrive. The lumia doesn't have enough memory so I have to have an sd card. The onedrive app doesn't even see the sd card.
    Don't know which device, or what files you refer to, but currently the Lumia only supports Music, Video, pictures & maps on an sd card. Within the OS, there is the ability to backup each (except maps) to One Drive. Also, which Lumia are you talking about, my Lumia 1520 has 16gb onboard w an sd card slot, my old Lumia 920 has 32gb onboard w NO sd card slot. There are various Lumia models, all support One Drive, the lo end phones come w 8gb onboard w sd card support.

I also tried downloading a song to the lumia -- the song would play but there is no way to download it to the phone without using a computer and transferring it. I can download anything to the N9 and save it where I want. It is sad that my two year old N9 with a single core processor remains more capable than a phone two year newer because WP has no real file management. I am sticking with this N9 until I can get a Jolla here in America.
    What app was playing the song, I can d/l songs to my phone (even store them in the music hub), but most of that is app dependent. Certain apps will ONLY store music inside the app.

I will not argue w you about the N9, almost pulled the trigger on one for myself, good device. BUT, your complaints about Windows Phone reek of RTFM ... and make sure your software / OS is current. Windows Phone 8.1 will be out in a matter of weeks (@ least as a registered DEV, I'll get it) that will level the playing field.
    informed/intelligent comments are welcome ... BS - not so much ...

peace,
    ROK

Device(s)
    Moto G6, Nokia 6.1
    Carrier(s)
    T- Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ROKstrr View Post
    Don't know which device, or what files you refer to, but currently the Lumia only supports Music, Video, pictures & maps on an sd card. Within the OS, there is the ability to backup each (except maps) to One Drive. Also, which Lumia are you talking about, my Lumia 1520 has 16gb onboard w an sd card slot, my old Lumia 920 has 32gb onboard w NO sd card slot. There are various Lumia models, all support One Drive, the lo end phones come w 8gb onboard w sd card support.

What app was playing the song, I can d/l songs to my phone (even store them in the music hub), but most of that is app dependent. Certain apps will ONLY store music inside the app.

I will not argue w you about the N9, almost pulled the trigger on one for myself, good device. BUT, your complaints about Windows Phone reek of RTFM ... and make sure your software / OS is current. Windows Phone 8.1 will be out in a matter of weeks (@ least as a registered DEV, I'll get it) that will level the playing field.
    I think you misunderstand me, ROK. My problem is not with the sd card, I can easily put music and video on the sd card on the 521. The problem is trying to transfer content from the sd card to onedrive while out and about using wifi or cell data. The Onedrive/Skydrive app on my phone does not see the sd card or it's content. Since it does not see the sd card or it's content, I cannot transfer content from/to the sd card without a computer which means I can't do it when I am out and about. I like to have a lot of music with me (there is about 40GB on my 64GB sd card in the phone). I have searched winphone forums, bing, google, yahoo and nokia forums and cannot find a solution to this. Reading the manual didn't help either Perhaps if the content was on the internal memory I could transfer it but since the internal on the 521 is only 8GB that wouldn't work for me. Other content on the sd card can be problematic depending on what it is and the app. Having books on the sd card was great, except the apps I had couldn't see them. They wanted to access books from skydrive or internal. Which meant moving them internal (with only 8GB on the 521 was a problem) or constantly using data to access them from skydrive.

As for downloading songs, I was visiting artist websites that have free downloads of songs. The browser opens the song, but there is no option to save the song. I also explored this on the nokia forums and there did not seem to be a solution to this either.

I wanted to like the wp, and there is a lot to like about it, it is just not for me. I have three family members (two sons and a wife) all of whom use WP8 (a 925, 810, and 521) and love them. As for me, for the moment I am sticking with my N9 because even though it is app limited, it can do the things I want, especially in regards to file management. I can download anything, save anywhere, manage the file system directly, transfer content to skydrive, Dropbox, whatever.

Since Meego is dead I know it has no future outside of the enthusiasts; and even that will eventually disappear. Hopefully, Jolla or Ubuntu will get a phone out here in America sometime in the next year.

Device(s)
    NOKIA Lumia 1520, NOKIA Lumia 920 (wife's phone, NOW)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I think you misunderstand me, ROK. My problem is not with the sd card, I can easily put music and video on the sd card on the 521. The problem is trying to transfer content from the sd card to onedrive while out and about using wifi or cell data...
    OK, point taken.

Only familiar with Lumia 920 (former phone) & Lumia 1520 ... There is a setting to backup data (pix) to OneDrive under BACKUP, that should work, but may be subverted by use only WiFi (or something along those lines).

With the rollout of Windows Phone 8.1 & the ability to install apps to the sdcard, the issues you encounter may be remediated. The pending update (2Q, 2014) seems to contain a ton of useability, won't know until BUILD (next week), hopefully rolled out to registered DEVs soon after. I know I can't wait for the additional functionality.

I haven't experienced / attempted any of the scenarios you mentioned ... thus can't answer. Patience may prove invaluable ... I think Win Phone is the happy medium between Android & iOS, we'll see how much they OPEN it up with the pending upgrade. Right now, it serves my purposes, missing apps are minimal (my bank app, grrrr) & it just works.

Device(s)
    Moto Z Play, Moto Z2 Force, Blackberry Z10
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Although the N9 is no longer supported it has so many features that I wish other phones had. Billboard Low Power Screen is near the top of my list. The developer community makes it useful for many things even with the SIM removed. A good GPS, Media Player, Radio, IM Chat device, decent camera, 64GB internal storage option. Now the price seems right before it becomes scarce and the price balloons again.

Device(s)
    Moto G6, Nokia 6.1
    Carrier(s)
    T- Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kingstu View Post
    Although the N9 is no longer supported it has so many features that I wish other phones had. Billboard Low Power Screen is near the top of my list. The developer community makes it useful for many things even with the SIM removed. A good GPS, Media Player, Radio, IM Chat device, decent camera, 64GB internal storage option. Now the price seems right before it becomes scarce and the price balloons again.
    Billboard screen is the one thing that people constantly comment on when they see it and elicits a lot of "can my phone do that?" questions. The 64 GB remains top of the line.

Feedback Score
    Hope nokia becomes more stronger!

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    I was a Nokia loyalist for many years, all the way from the Nokia 2160 (my second cell phone) through to phones like the E90, N900, N73. The N900 was my last Nokia I loved the fact that I could load gcc on the N900, edit and compile code right on the phone, etc.

Now even the brand name will likely disappear. Oh well.
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/s...nes-quite-soon

I can't see Windows Phone as a viable option for me. Too many apps/functions/services that are part of my daily life still aren't available. I'm pretty firmly locked into the Android/iOS camp right now. Yes, they have their disadvantages, but the basic functionality is there. Even if we get something like Ubuntu or Jolla available, they'll suffer from the lack of a mature ecosystem as with WP.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie