Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 31

Thread: "U.S. Cellular loses 97,000 subs in Q4, notes uncertainty for 2014"

  1. #16
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Tulsa, OK, USA
    Posts
    16,062
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kgravelle7k2 View Post
    I see usc buyout in near future

    via the HoFo App
    While certainly possible, keep in mind that, for a while, Sprint was losing 10x that many subs every quater, despite only having 5x the total number of subs that uscc had at the time. And they did it over the course of several years. And uscc's financials are *much* better than Sprint's were when they were going through that. Another "wait and see" moment, for yet another "uscc is going to get bought out!" prediction.







  2. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    280
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Your right, im actually hoping that sprint and us cellular merge no matter how unlikely

    via the HoFo App
    Verizon iPhone 6

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Patriots Nation & St Petersburg FL
    Posts
    9,555
    Device(s)
    LG G8, LG K20 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    I've said it all along, I'd love to see Sprint and US Cellular merger as opposed to Son thinking he's going to buy T-Mobile. He's spinning his wheels. This would pass regulatory approvals easily.

    Both sides of the merger would benefit with a much improved native footprint and network. Together, they "could" become a formidable player in the market. Problem is I don't think Sprint could properly execute a merger right now. They have enough on their plate with Network Vision.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Posts
    29,636
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by imauser View Post
    Because some areas have no other choice. None, nyet, nein, absolutely no other carrier.
    Those places are becoming more rare, USCC is facing more and more intense competition in most of their markets now, even in very rural ones like here in Northwestern California.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    2,962
    Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post

    Those places are becoming more rare, USCC is facing more and more intense competition in most of their markets now, even in very rural ones like here in Northwestern California.
    I still think there are a few of these areas in every market--they are the 'only carrier on that tower way up on the hill' and all other providers have either very poor service due to a smaller site closer to the highway, or no site at all...

    That said, does that outweigh the disadvantage of being a regional network? One of the big gripes around here is that my hometown is a USCC border market--Verizon is PCS and AT&T just hasn't built out as good--is that while the coverage is good, you drop calls at the county line and the north side of town. There's no high speed data when roaming. The other gripe I've heard is that their data overages are insane--which is what the Verizon guys like to do to sell against it.

    It's a similar problem to Sprint in reverse... Sprint shows all this roaming in rural areas that scares people off... USCC shows all this roaming in urban areas--which also scares people off.

    That's why I think they'd be perfect for each other... That said, USCC really should make a 'roam like home' agreement with someone (probably Sprint as they should do the same with USCC) that includes at least 3G, soft handoffs, and native looking service with no data restrictions.... Same thing Alltel and Sprint did--which was great until Sprint let Alltel get bought by Verizon, and AT&T screwed up their agreement in the West....
    It's all about perception, and I just get the feeling that Sprint and USCC are failing for the same reasons, but in reverse. The map just doesn't 'look good enough' and the carriers did such a good job ramming in just how horrible 'roaming' is, that even now that it's not as huge of a deal as it was, it scares consumers... This is a reason for a merger if I've ever saw one.

    Nat

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    711
    Device(s)
    Pixel, S9+, S9, S8, S7, G6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by NGeorge View Post
    I still think there are a few of these areas in every market--they are the 'only carrier on that tower way up on the hill' and all other providers have either very poor service due to a smaller site closer to the highway, or no site at all...

    That said, does that outweigh the disadvantage of being a regional network? One of the big gripes around here is that my hometown is a USCC border market--Verizon is PCS and AT&T just hasn't built out as good--is that while the coverage is good, you drop calls at the county line and the north side of town. There's no high speed data when roaming. The other gripe I've heard is that their data overages are insane--which is what the Verizon guys like to do to sell against it.

    It's a similar problem to Sprint in reverse... Sprint shows all this roaming in rural areas that scares people off... USCC shows all this roaming in urban areas--which also scares people off.

    That's why I think they'd be perfect for each other... That said, USCC really should make a 'roam like home' agreement with someone (probably Sprint as they should do the same with USCC) that includes at least 3G, soft handoffs, and native looking service with no data restrictions.... Same thing Alltel and Sprint did--which was great until Sprint let Alltel get bought by Verizon, and AT&T screwed up their agreement in the West....
    It's all about perception, and I just get the feeling that Sprint and USCC are failing for the same reasons, but in reverse. The map just doesn't 'look good enough' and the carriers did such a good job ramming in just how horrible 'roaming' is, that even now that it's not as huge of a deal as it was, it scares consumers... This is a reason for a merger if I've ever saw one.

    Nat
    someone obviously missed the news about the CCA last week.

    Sent from my Nexus 5

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    3,870
    Device(s)
    Motorola V950 Renegade
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by NGeorge View Post
    which was great until Sprint let Alltel get bought by Verizon, and AT&T screwed up their agreement in the West....
    Lol how exactly did Sprint "let" Alltel get bought.



    via the HoFo App
    Thrill me...

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Posts
    29,636
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by NGeorge View Post
    I still think there are a few of these areas in every market--they are the 'only carrier on that tower way up on the hill' and all other providers have either very poor service due to a smaller site closer to the highway, or no site at all...

    That's true, we have places like that up here in Northwestern California, Covelo (Co-Vuh-Low) here in Mendocino County and Hayfork in Trinity County immediately come to mind, and there are others.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    197
    Carrier(s)
    U.S. Cellular
    Feedback Score
    0
    I think the acquisition of USCC is looming. (Any acquisition) I think Sprint would be the better candidate but then again they let Alltel get sold.
    Long live the McDonald fish fillet!

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    2,962
    Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by lilotimz View Post

    someone obviously missed the news about the CCA last week.

    Sent from my Nexus 5
    No I am aware of the CCA news... What wasn't clear about it is if it was going to be a 'roam like home' arrangement or if it's simply offering discounted roaming... If it's roam like home, that is awesome for everyone involved. If it's offering discounted roaming to the members, that's great for keeping plan prices in check and possibly raising roaming caps--but doesn't really help with user experience...

    N

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    254
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    I would say they will be history before too long. I had US Cellular on and off for about 5 years and they were about the worse phone carrier i ever dealt with. My calls would drop and 3G was slow to unusable at times. Plus their coverage is awful, and when you are roaming off another carrier they will charge you out like crazy. I didnt really use my phone when i traveled to Kentucky and sure enough i had gotten charge over $100 in roaming. After that i left them in 2012. I look for them to be bought out by either Verizon or AT&T since AT&T and USCC has a merging tower together.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    87
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile RPS myFaves 2000 Dealer account
    Feedback Score
    0
    The only time I used uscc was up in Vermont on their gsm roamer network. Hopefully they keep that functional or sell it to T-Mobile or Att. This was about a year ago and was getting some 3G on it.


    via the HoFo App

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    2,648
    Device(s)
    S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Has anyone noticed US Cellular adding any more towers? Here in New Hampshire, both Verizon and AT&T have been adding more and more towers in rural areas, to the point where many areas they cover US Cellular actually has poor or no service.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    197
    Carrier(s)
    U.S. Cellular
    Feedback Score
    0
    The McDonald's Filet-O-Fish how great coverage.. coast to coast

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    84
    Carrier(s)
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bummpr View Post
    I feel so bad for their current customers!

    What a nightmare trying to resolve these incredible billing issues with a faceless, arrogant corporate beast. And despite the corporate flimflam, they seem to do little in regards to granting their customers any relief or hope. Current customers have no alternative other than to walk away to another carrier. Let your State Attorney General and Consumer Protection Agency sort it out because you as a customer certainly will not.

    Here's the real crunch...they can't even bill the current plans they have had for eons...how can they even think about implementing any competitive NEW plans or pricing to keep old or attract new customers on a billing system that does not work.

    Sadly, TDS is an old, rigid telephone company and US Cellular is an old and rigid regional wireless company. They cannot use their natural competitive advantage of smaller size to be more responsive and innovative than the big boys. I feel sorry for the friends I have at both companies.
    I worked for both at one time or another - and am very disappointed with the route both have taken. I left TDS right around the time that "any given call coming into their contact center was a sales call, and routed through their sales department before being transferred to tech support" - and I've noticed each time I've had to call USCC recently, it's the same deal "well before I get you to X department, would you like me to review your current services?"

    Quote Originally Posted by timeofday View Post
    why do us cellular customer put up with being treated this way??
    I was in a contract, then my wife was waiting for the new iPhone to come out... now we're just waiting for the hype to die down. We're behind half a month on USCC billing thanks to the damn billing system issue (I said screw them, and have only paid $10/mo extra each month to slowly pay it down) - so once that's done - we're leaving.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 08-06-2004, 01:17 AM
  2. Cingular adds 428,000 subs in Q2
    By bobolito in forum AT&T
    Replies: 113
    Last Post: 08-02-2004, 10:18 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-21-2004, 06:25 PM
  4. Cingular loses 121,000 Customers
    By Guest 174 in forum AT&T
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-23-2003, 11:42 PM
  5. Cingular loses 107,000 subscribers
    By Mr.Glock in forum AT&T
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-29-2002, 06:51 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks