Thread: Xperia M Wifi

Carrier(s)
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score

Xperia M Wifi

I bought an Xperia M last week as a replacement/upgrade from an HTC Desire C. Thus far in most respects it's been better in just about every way imaginable.

Recently however, I've noticed a most unusual issue when connecting to wifi networks on the Xperia. I can scan, find and connect to networks just fine, but when I connect to a network, I can only reliably get push notifications, while trying to browse the internet, or update apps on Google Play only works intermittently.

I've tried rebooting the modem, wiping the settings/rebooting the phone, and factory resets, all to no avail so far.

Sony can't process an RMA because of an agreement with the network operator the MVNO I'm with operates on (Bell Mobility and PC Mobile respectively). If I can't figure something out, I'll bring it to them to troubleshoot.

Has anyone else experienced this issue with this specific device? Were you able to make it work? If so, how did you do so?

Feedback Score
    I'm heading for being in almost the same position you are - I'm considering replacing my PC Mobile HTC Desire C with an Xperia M. It's good to know that the better phone on paper is also better in reality. But the WiFi issues you describe could be problematic, since I use a lot of WiFi connections.

Did you make any headway or get any feedback on this problem?

Carrier(s)
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    From what I've been told by Bell staff, this is a known issue with the Xperia M for which they don't have a fix. Sony Mobile suggested connecting the phone to the computer and reinstalling the firmware, but that hasn't had any apparent impact. Sounding a lot to me like Sony may not even realize if it's an issue, despite carriers knowing. Wonder what the disconnect is.

Feedback Score
    Well, I'm now a week into using my Xperia M -- on Bell's network, but with a MVNO -- and I'm trying to stay on the lookout for this issue.

You describe it as "when I connect to a network, I can only reliably get push notifications, while trying to browse the internet, or update apps on Google Play only works intermittently".

Would this mean, for example, that the gmail app does not "find" new messages unless you are browsing the internet?

If that is an example, then I can definitely say I am NOT experiencing this -- my phone regularly finds new emails (both via gmail and the generic email app) and turns on the "front light" to notify me.

If I am misunderstanding this, could you provide a detailed description of one case, which I might (apps and time!) be able to recreate?

Carrier(s)
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The Gmail app (and others) will find messages when I'm not browsing (like, if my phone is sitting on my desk, for instance), but for some reason that escapes me, attempting to browse the internet, download/update apps, or actively check messages will, after a short while, start to fail, the applications suggesting I'm offline, despite clear indications to the contrary from the phone.

The way they tested and replicated the issue at Bell's service counter was to connect to the store's wireless network, open Chrome, and browse the internet. After approximately 2-3 minutes, they started to get a message saying "You are offline", while the phone still showed WiFi as connected, and reporting that it was properly pulling an IP address.

At home when testing, I even went so far as to purge the phone from the list of devices with assigned IPs, forget the network on the phone and start everything over again, but this garnered no substantial progress.

My cycle with PC has reset, so I'm using my mobile data for the most part, but for the times I do use the WiFi connection, this issue does still pop up on occasion.

Feedback Score
    This is a rather off-the-wall suggestion, but did you turn on Stamina mode on the battery?

If I recall, on the phone, it claims to stop "mobile data" when the screen is off. However, if you review Sony's more detailed description...

developer.sonymobile.com /2013/04/03/how-sonys-battery-stamina-mode-works/ (rebuild the url on your own)

... it appears that Stamina mode actually blocks both data traffic and background activities. As a past system programmer, I confess to getting nervous at the idea of enabling that type of low-level block, and I have avoided this setting completely. It's only supposed to enage when you are not using the phone, but unless it is done really well, I can see that it could cause grief for apps at other times. Since I have been getting between two and three days of total run time if I don't recharge, I'm not feeling the need to try such power management techniques.

FYI - C1904, Android 4.1.2, Kernel 3.4.0 (...), Build number 15.1.C.1.17. And yes -- PC Mobile.

Carrier(s)
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I had for a time been using Stamina mode, but turned it off about a week ago to test (sorry it took me so long to answer). Not quite related to the wifi issue, but running with Stamina off has shown me that the difference it made was pretty much nil.

Thus far, I've seen the issue become less frequent, but it does still come up on occasion, which tells me that while not entirely related to Stamina mode, it had a huge part to play in the problem.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by misterspire View Post
    I bought an Xperia M last week as a replacement/upgrade from an HTC Desire C. Thus far in most respects it's been better in just about every way imaginable.

Recently however, I've noticed a most unusual issue when connecting to wifi networks on the Xperia. I can scan, find and connect to networks just fine, but when I connect to a network, I can only reliably get push notifications, while trying to browse the internet, or update apps on Google Play only works intermittently.

I've tried rebooting the modem, wiping the settings/rebooting the phone, and factory resets, all to no avail so far.

Sony can't process an RMA because of an agreement with the network operator the MVNO I'm with operates on (Bell Mobility and PC Mobile respectively). If I can't figure something out, I'll bring it to them to troubleshoot.

Has anyone else experienced this issue with this specific device? Were you able to make it work? If so, how did you do so?
    Hello,

I have been experiencing the same problem since yesterday. But as you said the problem is intermittent. Sometimes the wifi connection works flawlessly and sometimes the device even it is connected to a network has no incoming data traffic and the webpages show that the device is offline.

Since you had this issue in February have you found any solution coz only a few people have posted about this problem in different forums.

Please help with a solution.

Carrier(s)
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eshwardpk7 View Post
    Hello,

I have been experiencing the same problem since yesterday. But as you said the problem is intermittent. Sometimes the wifi connection works flawlessly and sometimes the device even it is connected to a network has no incoming data traffic and the webpages show that the device is offline.

Since you had this issue in February have you found any solution coz only a few people have posted about this problem in different forums.

Please help with a solution.
    Hey there,

I've not found any solution, and am now at the point where I've used as many as five Xperia M handsets, all with the most current firmware, on up to a dozen different wi-fi networks, all with the same result.

My personal device is currently out for repair a second time with the issue, although I have no faith that it's going to be repaired, because the work completed last time was the exact same firmware re-installation I was made to do by both PC Mobile support and Sony Mobile as many as four times before they'd let me send it in.

At this point, the Xperia M's starting to look like a dud, no matter how one slices it.