Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Future Shop not honoring BlackBerry warranty

Device(s)
    Pixel 3A & iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score

Future Shop not honoring BlackBerry warranty

Does anyone have any tips for how to get a TELUS BlackBerry (purchased at Future Shop) sent in for warranty work? I thought I've read this before, and can confirm first hand that Future Shop refuses to facilitate a warranty transaction on my BlackBerry because I didn't buy their extended coverage plan. I explained that the device comes with a 1 year manufacturers warranty, only to be told that I need to call 611 to find a TELUS Authorized Repair Centre. I'm not asking them to fix it. I'm just asking them to send it in for me.

Called TELUS who were surprised that FS wouldn't help. They basically just told me to call random TELUS dealers until I found one willing to help. I tried explaining that there's no incentive for an independent TELUS dealer to help me when I was never their customer to begin with. I also expressed concern for why they allow FS to be an authorized re-seller if they're not going to back their product. Nice of them to take the sale and then walk away from the post-sale maintenance requirements of the odd customer. Must be nice.

Any suggestions? I don't think there are any corporate stores out here in BC. Blacks would be the closest thing, but the closest location is 45 minutes away. Any suggestions? I don't need a loaner phone as I have my own backup devices.

Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Your warranty is with the manufacturer; why should Futureshop be repsonsible for facilitating that?
    Carrier stores (both dealer and corporate) are set up AND compensated from the manufacturer for facilitating the repair process; I recommend reaching out to those stores instead.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3A & iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldIRC View Post
    Your warranty is with the manufacturer; why should Futureshop be repsonsible for facilitating that?
    Because it's good customer service to help your paying customers.

Quote Originally Posted by WorldIRC
    Carrier stores (both dealer and corporate) are set up AND compensated from the manufacturer for facilitating the repair process; I recommend reaching out to those stores instead.
    What is a carrier store? Any old TELUS dealer? Does Future Shop not fall into that category?

Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
    This is the wireless industry

What is a carrier store? Any old TELUS dealer? Does Future Shop not fall into that category?
    Yes, a TELUS store. Futureshop, Best Buy, Glentel stores are classifed as "National Retail" and have their own policies, rules, procedures.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldIRC View Post
    This is the wireless industry

Yes, a TELUS store. Futureshop, Best Buy, Glentel stores are classifed as "National Retail" and have their own policies, rules, procedures.
    Futureshop, bestbuy ... Don t offer any warranty on any phone you must go to any telus store ... Dealers must accept your phone too... They check the imei and send in reparation... Dealer can t charge anything too because all process is paid via telus... Shipping...

Sent with the HoFo App

Device(s)
    Pixel 3A & iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Thanks - I'll give it a try. The last time I had to make a warranty claim on a phone was with my CDMA BlackBerry Tour 9630. At that time I had to pay $25 or something like that for a dealer to send it off for me because I didn't purchase the phone from them. While I wouldn't have a problem paying a small fee, obviously it would be better if I didn't have to. I hope this experience is easier than it was 5 years ago.

Feedback Score

Any suggestions? I don't think there are any corporate stores out here in BC. Blacks would be the closest thing, but the closest location is 45 minutes away. Any suggestions? I don't need a loaner phone as I have my own backup devices.
    Really? No corporate stores in Telus's own turf? That seems rather odd, any reason why that is?

Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by B407 View Post
    Really? No corporate stores in Telus's own turf? That seems rather odd, any reason why that is?
    Always been like that; very long time.

DH is offline I've got more phones than fingers
    Feedback Score
    I would contact Telus to see if they offer an advance exchange with a return package to send your old one back. I know that Rogers offers this service for $35 when there are no dealer/corporate locations nearby or they refuse to service your device. As far as Future Shop they are only responsible for replacing your phone within the first 15 days. Same as Walmart. Neither are set up to facilitate warranty repairs.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3A & iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Q10: Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.1925 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Quote Originally Posted by DH
    I would contact Telus to see if they offer an advance exchange with a return package to send your old one back. I know that Rogers offers this service for $35 when there are no dealer/corporate locations nearby or they refuse to service your device. As far as Future Shop they are only responsible for replacing your phone within the first 15 days. Same as Walmart. Neither are set up to facilitate warranty repairs.
    I spent 20 minutes on the phone with TELUS and all I got was a suggestion to call random TELUS dealers until I find one willing to help. Oh and a surprised reaction that FS wouldn't send it in. I'll see if I can find a dealer willing to help this weekend. If not I'll call TELUS again.
    Last edited by DennyCrane; 02-04-2014 at 11:41 PM.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Q10: Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.1925 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

I spent 20 minutes on the phone with TELUS and all I got was a suggestion to call random TELUS dealers until I find one willing to help. Oh and a surprised reaction that FS wouldn't send it in. I'll see if I can find a dealer willing to help this weekend. If not I'll call TELUS again.
    Go on the Telus website, and under the store locator, some locations will be listed as "Product Care Centres".

These are locations that will deal with your retailer purchased phone at no additional cost. If you go to a place that isn't listed as one, they will charge you a service fee.

There are a lot more of this type of store than there used to be, what with Telus buying up a bunch of dealer stores over the last few years, but some of the dealers have dug in their heels and are charging a bunch.

As for Future Shop, it is actually a part of their retailer agreement with Telus that they will not provide Telus or Manufacturer warranty services on phones, even if it was sold through them. So even if they wanted to, they can't provide that technical support.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Feedback Score

Any suggestions? I don't think there are any corporate stores out here in BC. B
    This is no Longer the case, Right around when Shared HSPA+ Network was launched Telus Converted a bunch of Dealer store into Telus Corporate Stores in BC/Metro Vancouver (Not sure if they did the same in Alberta)

Feedback Score
    They don't handle warranty service for any other products they sell (without their extended warranty), why would they do it for phones. This is not any different than any other electronics retailer, although some will handle returns for faulty items within 15 - 30 days. Standard industry practice.

Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by robsaw View Post
    They don't handle warranty service for any other products they sell (without their extended warranty), why would they do it for phones. This is not any different than any other electronics retailer, although some will handle returns for faulty items within 15 - 30 days. Standard industry practice.
    Ever buy a television... "do not return this product to the store if you have problems with it".

Device(s)
    Pixel 3A & iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score

Funny you mention the television example. I bought my dad a TV from Future Shop for Christmas and it's acting up. He went in today and then sent him to the manufacturer like you say. It would be nice if they at least pointed you in the right direction instead of my dad having to call Toshiba to try and find a repair shop though. Oh well, live and learn. I definitely won't be buying cell phones from FS anymore.

Thanks again for all the advice. I'll give it a try this weekend.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast