Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Blasckberry for Wife

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score

New Blasckberry for Wife

My wife is about to leave her company and she needs a new mobile phone and plan. She is a Blackberry user and wants the Q10. I'm currently looking at Rogers and Bell and wanted to see what the real options were in the current mobile market. Here are some questions I have:

1) Are the currently posted 2 year plans pretty much what is being offered these days or can you still negotiate something slightly better by calling into retentions etc?

2) Do both Rogers and Bell offer the same $20 off for bringing your own device (BYOD)? Is it always a better deal to buy your own phone and then sign up for the cheaper plan?

3) Are there any cons to buying your own phone as opposed to getting one on a discount with a plan? I'm thinking stuff like warranty etc.

4) Where are some of the best place to buy a new unlocked Blackberry Q10? I see some options on Amazon.ca, but one of the vendors says the warranty is only 30 days!

I'm not looking for any crazy discounts, but if I could get the current $75 plans offered by Bell/Rogers for around $65 and include a real Voice mail option then I'd be happy. Alternatively, the $55 BYOD plan with a real voice mail option would be great as well. Is this even possible today or have the carriers pretty much locked down their plans and eliminated negotiating?

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z30, Blackberry Q10, Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    1- Only business or corp clients can negotiate a rate (does not have to be a million dollar company, even a small sole proprietor could qualify)
    2- In general Rogers & Bell are identical plan wise (although Rogers does overall offer more hardware credits...)
    3- Warranty are always valid no matter where you get phone (and to the contrary, as many posts on this very board will attest, both Bell & Rogers warranty is hell to deal with anyhow)
    4- Q10 unlocked can be bought cheaply from smaller vendors (online or in store)
    It is sad I need to state the obvious but some people just don't get it. Any posts I make are my own OPINIONS and in no way represent the views of my employer

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kav2001c View Post
    1- Only business or corp clients can negotiate a rate (does not have to be a million dollar company, even a small sole proprietor could qualify)
    2- In general Rogers & Bell are identical plan wise (although Rogers does overall offer more hardware credits...)
    3- Warranty are always valid no matter where you get phone (and to the contrary, as many posts on this very board will attest, both Bell & Rogers warranty is hell to deal with anyhow)
    4- Q10 unlocked can be bought cheaply from smaller vendors (online or in store)
    Thanks for the info, kav2001c.

Another question I have is how does BBM messaging get classified? Is this free, classified as Texting, classified as Data? The plans I've seen say unlimited texting, but I'm not sure if it includes BBM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cIpher7 View Post

Another question I have is how does BBM messaging get classified? Is this free, classified as Texting, classified as Data? The plans I've seen say unlimited texting, but I'm not sure if it includes BBM.
    BBM messaging counts as data

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Honor Play 6GB 128GB version, Xiaomi mi A1, testing Meiigoo S8.
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin, HOT mobile Israel.
    Feedback Score
    Why not go with the Flankers like Virgin/Koodo/Fido if you will buy your own phone?
    Phones using: Honor Play 6GB 128GB,wife using LG G7 One, son using iPhone XR,daughter using iPhone XR, Youngest son using Xiaomi Redmi 5.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Many Bell TXT plans will offer free BBM & block other data
    It always counts as data however (and to get free BBM you MUST use valid IMEI at time of activation)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ijcy View Post
    Why not go with the Flankers like Virgin/Koodo/Fido if you will buy your own phone?
    +1
    Flankers Virgin (on Bell network) & Fido (on Rogers network) in general offer cheaper prices, esp if you have own hardware
    PC Mobile & Koodo are also options

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kav2001c View Post
    +1
    Flankers Virgin (on Bell network) & Fido (on Rogers network) in general offer cheaper prices, esp if you have own hardware
    PC Mobile & Koodo are also options
    To be honest, I haven't kept up with the mobile marketplace and have always used Bell & Rogers for mobility. On the Rogers site, the BYOD plan I was looking at was $55. Do Virgin/Fido offer similar plans to this for a much better price or with many more features?

Edit...

Ok, I just checked out the Virgin/Telus sites and I don't see better plans/prices when compared to what I'm seeing from Bell/Rogers.

For example, here is what Bell is offering for a BYOD plan:

$50/month - 500MB, Unlimited Calling Canada, Unlimited Text, Call Display, Call Waiting
    $8/month - Enhanced Voicemail (my wife needs more that 3 messages)
    Total = $58 month

And here is what I found on the Virgin site for a BYOD plan:

$54/month (60-10%) - 2GB, Unlimited Calling Canada, Unlimited Text, Call Display, Call Waiting
    $4/month - Enhanced Voicemail
    Total = $58 month

Basically, the exact same monthly cost, with Virgin edging Bell because they offer 2GB vs the 500MB from Bell.
    Last edited by cIpher7; 01-28-2014 at 10:43 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Can anyone let me know of some reputable stores where I can buy the Blackberry Q10 at a decent price in the GTA (hopefully, closer to Oakville area). I was offered one for $350 today from a smaller store, but I'd prefer to buy from a place/person that is recommended by HoFo members.

If this request goes against forum rules, maybe a PM is the way to go.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    To be honest, I haven't kept up with the mobile marketplace and have always used Bell & Rogers for mobility. On the Rogers site, the BYOD plan I was looking at was $55. Do Virgin/Fido offer similar plans to this for a much better price or with many more features?

Edit...

Ok, I just checked out the Virgin/Telus sites and I don't see better plans/prices when compared to what I'm seeing from Bell/Rogers.

For example, here is what Bell is offering for a BYOD plan:

$50/month - 500MB, Unlimited Calling Canada, Unlimited Text, Call Display, Call Waiting
    $8/month - Enhanced Voicemail (my wife needs more that 3 messages)
    Total = $58 month

And here is what I found on the Virgin site for a BYOD plan:

$54/month (60-10%) - 2GB, Unlimited Calling Canada, Unlimited Text, Call Display, Call Waiting
    $4/month - Enhanced Voicemail
    Total = $58 month

Basically, the exact same monthly cost, with Virgin edging Bell because they offer 2GB vs the 500MB from Bell.
    You do not see the difference in 4 times the Data for pretty much the same price?! And where do you live? I can not see a plan with 500mb on Rogers for less then $75-
    Edit: Koodo has a $52- -10$ $47- plan with 1GB as well.

Can anyone let me know of some reputable stores where I can buy the Blackberry Q10 at a decent price in the GTA (hopefully, closer to Oakville area). I was offered one for $350 today from a smaller store, but I'd prefer to buy from a place/person that is recommended by HoFo members.

If this request goes against forum rules, maybe a PM is the way to go.
    I have purchased for my family,friends,overseas,and myself the last 20+ phones from Kijiji from different sellers/stores and have not had an issue yet. After the implementation of the wireless blacklist i check all of them before buying and so far so good.

Device(s)
    Iphone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    If you went with Fido they have a $59 Standard plan - 10% = 53.10 + $4 vp to get your VM it would be $57.10. You would get FD$ every month and could help with a phone purchase down the road, travel packs etc.

PLan would include unlimited cdn calling, cd, 2gb of data and visual vm with the $4 vp

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    You do not see the difference in 4 times the Data for pretty much the same price?! And where do you live? I can not see a plan with 500mb on Rogers for less then $75-
    Edit: Koodo has a $52- -10$ $47- plan with 1GB as well.
    You must have missed my last sentence?

My wife will never use more than 500MB as she'll be working from home and using WiFi 95% of the time so I would have preferred other options or a cheaper price instead of the 2GB. That said, all other thing being equal, I'd still choose the Virgin plan given the extra 1.5GB.

I have purchased for my family,friends,overseas,and myself the last 20+ phones from Kijiji from different sellers/stores and have not had an issue yet. After the implementation of the wireless blacklist i check all of them before buying and so far so good.
    Thank you very much for the wireless blacklist info. I wasn't aware of the service and will definitely use before I pick up the phone.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sheedy17 View Post
    If you went with Fido they have a $59 Standard plan - 10% = 53.10 + $4 vp to get your VM it would be $57.10. You would get FD$ every month and could help with a phone purchase down the road, travel packs etc.

PLan would include unlimited cdn calling, cd, 2gb of data and visual vm with the $4 vp
    Thanks, sheedy17. That is a better option than the Virgin Silver 60 plan I had looked at.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I was just on the Virgin site again and noticed they have a prepaid plan that looks interesting:

Prepaid 50
    $50/month - 250MB & Unlimited BBM/Facebook/Twitter, Unlimited Calling Canada, Unlimited CDN Text, Unlimited US & International Text , Call Display, Call Waiting, Voicemail 10, Call Forwarding, 3-Way Calling
    $7month - Visual Voicemail
    Total = $57 month

This is cheaper than the comparable monthly plans I saw from Virgin and Fido and offers Unlimited texting anywhere in the world. Unlimited BBM and Facebook is big as my wife spends the majority of her data usage time on these apps, which minimizes the fact they only offer 250Mb. Voicemail 10, Call Forwarding, 3-Way Calling are also better than the default plans offer.

Are there any downsides to the prepaid plans that I'm not seeing?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Thanks, sheedy17. That is a better option than the Virgin Silver 60 plan I had looked at.
    Isn't the Koodo plan better? "Koodo has a $52- -10% $47- plan with 1GB" So it would be double the Data your wife uses and cheaper.
    Also you never answered re the $50- Rogers plan, i do not see it. Can you provide a link?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast