Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Advice on getting rid of my Telus plan

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Advice on getting rid of my Telus plan

I think I posted a similar query a while back, but I wanted to start a new thread and be more concise.

I have the following Telus plan (it's small biz, but registered to me as a consumer):
    $65/MONTH
    500 DT mins, unlimited evenings and weekends at 6 PM, unlimited incoming
    6 GB data
    free iPhone visual voicemail, call display, and free call forwarding
    unlimited messaging to Can

I think that's it. Anyways, I really need to get rid of this plan as I only use 1-2 GBs max per month and less than 200 voice minutes. I'm not really in the best place financially either at the moment, but if I have to I'll pay the ECF (I have a little less than two years remaining on the contract).

My question is, does anyone have any advice on what to do? I was thinking of calling into Telus to negociate a better plan, but I don't think they really have anything lighter/cheaper at the moment, especially on the small biz side. I was thinking maybe if they reviewed my usage history they could give me a small credit every month, but then again it's not really their problem that I chose a heavier plan: it's mine.

I also posted my plan both here and on RFD in the buy/sell/trade section and only had one person contact me, who eventually bailed out on me. I'm not sure if maybe the small biz aspect is scaring people off, because I've seen some comparable plans being taken over (i.e. $65 MY10/6 GB plans).

Should I be offering compensation to someone who takes over this plan? Should I simply pay the $300 cancelation fee? Or do you think I could negociate with Telus for a lighter plan?

Feedback Score
    I wouldn't ever get rid of it. Prices are only going up. Especially with plans that have large data plans like yours. Even if you were to try and get something smaller, there would probably be either no difference in price, or such a negligible about that it wouldn't even be worth it.

Sent with the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    Your plan is good enough for someone to take as is. No need to add money ....unless you're in a hurry to get rid of it. Only way u can get cheaper is wind mobile or chatr and use wifi for your data.

Sent with the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    If u where to ad $ ...I wouldn't pay more than 50.00

Sent with the HoFo App

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrokk1 View Post
    I wouldn't ever get rid of it. Prices are only going up. Especially with plans that have large data plans like yours. Even if you were to try and get something smaller, there would probably be either no difference in price, or such a negligible about that it wouldn't even be worth it.

Sent with the HoFo App
    I agree, but I'm such a light user--and in something of a hurry to lower my bills--that I'd happily take a lighter plan from Fido or Wind Mobile. I just don't use the data provided in my plan.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin2012 View Post
    Your plan is good enough for someone to take as is. No need to add money ....unless you're in a hurry to get rid of it.
    When I initially posted it in the BST section around November of last year, I thought I'd be swamped with offers. No, it's not the best plan in the world, but compared to the terrible plans being offered on the big three at the moment for heavy data users, I figured it would go fast especially since there are no credits to worry about haggling for when the contract ends.

I ended up hearing from one person only, and I finally learned that they were not serious about going through with the deal.

Unless anybody has any other brilliant ideas, I suppose I should bight the bullet and pay the ECF already so I can move on.

Feedback Score
    I have 11 months left on my tab or I'd be asking about your plan. Yes currently the big 3 plans aren't very good. Have u tried Craigslist to get rid of your plan?

Sent from my HUAWEI U9510E using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin2012 View Post
    I have 11 months left on my tab or I'd be asking about your plan.
    Yeah, I guess that's the thing--just about everybody on a forum like this already has a commitment. No, haven't tried CL, it's an option I suppose.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DataDude View Post
    Yeah, I guess that's the thing--just about everybody on a forum like this already has a commitment. No, haven't tried CL, it's an option I suppose.
    If you do post on CL or Kijiji, be careful because some of them are people trying to commit fraud by using fake IDs to take over contracts. They charge the person like a $50-100 fee to "take your contract" with no strings attached when in reality they are using fake identities and it could come back to bite you

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KRZR101 View Post
    If you do post on CL or Kijiji, be careful because some of them are people trying to commit fraud by using fake IDs to take over contracts. They charge the person like a $50-100 fee to "take your contract" with no strings attached when in reality they are using fake identities and it could come back to bite you
    If I posted on Craigslist or Kijiji, I wouldn't be looking to get any money. Would that mean that I'd be likely to have a risk free sale? How could it come back to bite me if the "buyer" wasn't being honest? I read another story in the Bell forum where Bell actually blocked a handset because the new owner of a contract was behind on his payments. Yikes!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KRZR101 View Post
    Don t offer money... This fraud is real and really exist !

Sent with the HoFo App

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by thund3rbay View Post
    Don t offer money... This fraud is real and really exist !

Sent with the HoFo App
    This is great to know. Many thanks. I won't offer any money.

One quick other point: what should I do to make sure my phone will not be blacklisted down the line if the new line's "owner" doesn't pay his bills? Apparently, based on discussion in the Bell forum, Bell actually blacklisted a phone for this reason. It wasn't even being used by the person who took over the line. I guess it was just associated with the line's equipment history and...there you go. Never even knew something like this could happen.

Does Telus transfer the IMEI history when doing a TOR and if so is there anything I can do so the other person doesn't get that history?

Carrier(s)
    Koodo Mobile
    Feedback Score
    If u have a tab on this plan... Then if u include the phone (which seems correct because the phone is still being paid off) then it would been to be the deal maker...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    $48
    Unlimited incoming and outgoing calls, Unlimited Canada-wide long distance
    Unlimited text, picture and video messages from Canada to Canadian, U.S. and international wireless numbers
    5 GB of Data, Call Display, Voicemail, Unlimited Circle Calling, Call Waiting, Conference Call

Gold Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge 32GB + 128GB SD Card

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2K2SilverCivicS View Post
    If u have a tab on this plan... Then if u include the phone (which seems correct because the phone is still being paid off) then it would been to be the deal maker...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    The phone is an unlocked iPhone 5 64 GB which I already sold, but in any case it would have been more profitable to pay the cancelation fees than it would be to give away the phone at a loss.

Carrier(s)
    mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    Sorry, not completely understanding your math. You have two years to go and it's $300 to cancel? Are you staying with Telus? Because it looks like the lowest cost plan Telus offers is $50 a month, so it would be cheaper to keep the old plan when you factor in the cancellation fees, no?

Sent with the HoFo App

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast