Thread: Deaf Need a a data only or data +texting plan

Device(s)
    HUAWEI ASCEND P!
    Carrier(s)
    Wind mobile
    Feedback Score

Deaf Need a a data only or data +texting plan

Hi guys

My Father in law is deaf and has been with rogers for a long time, he is looking to get a new plan that is only data and texting as he can not use voice, rogers is giving him a bit of a hard and i am worried that he may be taken advantage of,

would love to see if bell had anything as i can not seem to get a definitive awnser or info

he would like to get the lg g2

any help would be great on if they have one or who does

thanks!
    VIRGIN =50 DOLLAR THUNDER BAY PLAN
    -UNLIM CAN WIDE CALL AND TEXT, VM VID...
    -6GBS OF DATA
    ----DISCOUNT 15% RETENTION DEAL=35$ AMONTH

VIRGIN- 30 DOLLARS LIMITED OFFER
    -150 MINS CAN WIND UNLIM TEXT 7-7 NIGHTS AND WEEKENDS
    -200MBS OF DATA-VM-CID

WIND-HOLIDAY WISH 40 $
    UNLIM DATA-TEXT-TALK
    VM-CID AND CALL CONTROL
    WORLD SAVOR

FIGHT FOR THE PLAN THAT WORKS BEST FOR YOU BUT IF YOU HAD THE OPTION FIGHT AGAINST THE BIG THREE! WE NEED COMPETITION!

Device(s)
    Samsung S8, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers, Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Why not a tablet/iPad plan and use Fongo or some other app for texting?

Sent with the HoFo App

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDraconicOne View Post
    Why not a tablet/iPad plan and use Fongo or some other app for texting?

Sent with the HoFo App
    Agreed. With Apps like Google Hangouts it is getting even easier. Would be nice if there was a way to natively do it though. $5 a month to start and it goes from there but I think if you use a GB it is something like $30 so it is pretty reasonable.
    PhoneBillNinjas.com: Business telecom negotiation I used to work for the Big 3, but now I help businesses get their telecom costs under control.

Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I don't think Bell will do this, Your best bet is to buy the phone full out go to the bell store and say you need a sim card with a tablet monthly plan & then just go home and put the sim card in the phone. And just download BBM or use Hangouts and everything will transferred through data. This is what I do when I go to US....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by winduser12 View Post
    Hi guys

My Father in law is deaf and has been with rogers for a long time, he is looking to get a new plan that is only data and texting as he can not use voice, rogers is giving him a bit of a hard and i am worried that he may be taken advantage of,

would love to see if bell had anything as i can not seem to get a definitive awnser or info

he would like to get the lg g2

any help would be great on if they have one or who does

thanks!
    LG G2 is a hot phone and the min for Rogers or Bell is at least $70/mth if I am correct.
    I trust he does not use the phone all 30 days of the month. Assuming he is in the city area Wind prepaid at max $2 a day (with unlimited text/voice/data) is a good option. Receiving text is free also. At home he most likely has wifi anyway.
    This option is out of question if your relative is out of city area or he needs phone subsidy

Daniel

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dtong22 View Post
    LG G2 is a hot phone and the min for Rogers or Bell is at least $70/mth if I am correct.
    I trust he does not use the phone all 30 days of the month. Assuming he is in the city area Wind prepaid at max $2 a day (with unlimited text/voice/data) is a good option. Receiving text is free also. At home he most likely has wifi anyway.
    This option is out of question if your relative is out of city area or he needs phone subsidy

Daniel
    That would be $60/month though. I'd have to say koodo prepaid if he's using less than a GB per month.

Sent with the HoFo App

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z30, Blackberry Q10, Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    On any of the carriers you can buy a tablet (data only) plan
    Then add on TXT messaging

Much cheaper this way (esp since using for messages only, prob in the $15 per month range)
    Problem is you will NOT get a hardware subsidy. So go pickup a basic prepay phone and use that
    It is sad I need to state the obvious but some people just don't get it. Any posts I make are my own OPINIONS and in no way represent the views of my employer

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kav2001c View Post
    On any of the carriers you can buy a tablet (data only) plan
    Then add on TXT messaging

Much cheaper this way (esp since using for messages only, prob in the $15 per month range)
    Problem is you will NOT get a hardware subsidy. So go pickup a basic prepay phone and use that
    I'm using the bell tablet plan and fongo. Fongo only charges 1.67 per month for text messaging and you can calls for free

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by detdett View Post
    I'm using the bell tablet plan and fongo. Fongo only charges 1.67 per month for text messaging and you can calls for free

It works but gives a second phone number & chews up data (since only using to message its cheaper other way)
    (Fongo is also not most reliable despite its popularity there are better options out there)
    Since OP is deaf they would probably cancel his line (I seem to recall they cut service after a few months with no calls being made)

Feedback Score
    (Fongo is also not most reliable despite its popularity there are better options out there)
    What other choices do you recommend?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What other choices do you recommend?

For VOIP? Vonage or Comwave both give free cellular use if you have a home line and both are way more reliable (plus this lets you direct dial international numbers as well from cell only using local minutes)

Feedback Score
    For VOIP? Vonage or Comwave both give free cellular use if you have a home line and both are way more reliable (plus this lets you direct dial international numbers as well from cell only using local minutes)
    Comwave charges for outgoing calls while fongo offers free calling locally. The same thing with vonage.

I don't see how this is a more reliable option when I'm always on bell 4g network. I've used Fongo for interviews and also during ice storms and it's superb.

Device(s)
    AT&T Nokia Lumia 1520 on Bell
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Bell does data only.

http://www.bell.ca/Accessibility_ser...e_features.tab <-- contact info at bottom for calling into Bell using a TTY.

"Data plans

Where voice services are not required, Bell Mobility offers several data-only plans for customers with a superphone, smartphone or Turbo Stick. Access emails, browse the Internet, and send and receive text messages without subscribing to a voice service."

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Comwave charges for outgoing calls while fongo offers free calling locally. The same thing with vonage.

I don't see how this is a more reliable option when I'm always on bell 4g network. I've used Fongo for interviews and also during ice storms and it's superb.

I have tried Fongo (and its resellers) a couple times and have completely been underwhelmed by service (voice quality is poor, period, compared to others out there)
    And no Comwave + Vonage both have free cellular apps (no extra charges) which let you use same plan as your home phone service

Feedback Score
    I have tried Fongo (and its resellers) a couple times and have completely been underwhelmed by service (voice quality is poor, period, compared to others out there)
    And no Comwave + Vonage both have free cellular apps (no extra charges) which let you use same plan as your home phone service
    Except I don't need a home phone service from comwave or Vonage.
    May I ask on what connection and what device were you trying Fongo on?

I used it my nexus 4 and 5 and call quality was just fine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast