Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I want to get a phone to track a dog.

Device(s)
    5s/Mega 6.3/nokia 521
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    There are also gps receiver gadgets made to be hooked to backbacks to track kids too. this might be a better route.
    Never be afraid to try, but always know where your back up is when you screw up!

It doesn't cost anything to be nice and say thank-you.

Feedback Score
    Is us cellular available in your area ? We offer a gps tracking device for parents pet owners business owners etc. The monthly cost is minimal. Just a thought.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Lol its through us cellular it's on the site.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Tello 1GB + 100m, unl txt
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Like this? http://www.thetileapp.com/

Please be aware that if you chip your dog as they do in wildlife, it causes tumors.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    My friends bought a tag for their cat that was supposed to be able to get a GPS location by text message. Shipped from China. The online posting indicated "GSM 850/900/1800/1900" and so did a big sticker on the box, but the manual inside said only GSM 900/1800. Indeed it did not work on any network. So buyer beware

Carrier(s)
    35orless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by iwantgizmos View Post
    if you can find a nice inexpensive used unlocked iphone (and you could probably do the same thing with a cheap android phone), but what we use to track my mom when she is out driving is my old unlocked iPhone 3GS using a PTEL paygo number. pay $10 every two months. only use that for tracking the mom car with the iphone stashed in the trunk. yes, my mom knows about the iphone in the car and she knows we do this for tracking her for safety purposes. she uses a regular tracfone flipphone and she would simply NOT understand how to use a smartphone. but she knows we have a watchful eye over her via the iphone. we use both find-my-iphone on the computer and also the find-my-friends app on my regular iPhone to track her progress as she goes out shopping and knowing when she is on the way home. nothing else on the iphone and only take the iphone out of the car to charge the iphone like every three to four days since the iphone is doing nothing except be turned on sitting in the trunk.
    Awesome idea. Too bad no way to have the car charge the phone. You think a bad idea to leave it plugged into the cigarette lighter in the car? I won't really care if it ruins the battery (I would never take the phone out of the car anyway) more concerned about a fire hazzard

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    don;t the GPS experts at say....Garmin have a solution specifically geared for this? Might be costly but time is money too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Less35 View Post
    Awesome idea. Too bad no way to have the car charge the phone. You think a bad idea to leave it plugged into the cigarette lighter in the car? I won't really care if it ruins the battery (I would never take the phone out of the car anyway) more concerned about a fire hazzard
    I have a nook color in the dash of my jeep that is basically run off a car charger spliced into the cigarette lighter hole. It's going on about 2 years now with no problems.

(beats the hell out of any radio I've ever had! although... its basically hooked up to a smaller radio hidden behind it under the dash, for power purposes.)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sashusmom View Post
    Look into these little gadget. It can track your dog with a button hung on his collar, and the app on your iphone.
    I use PetFon, as long as the distance is no more than 1/4 to 1/2 mile, Petfon works well. It does not use a cellular network or SIM card, but implements tracking with GPS, Bluetooth, and long-range wireless, so there is no need to pay any additional monthly fees. It's relatively cheap compared to Laelaps, which costs $ 400.

Device(s)
    Pixel 4 XL
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cmstlist View Post
    My friends bought a tag for their cat that was supposed to be able to get a GPS location by text message. Shipped from China. The online posting indicated "GSM 850/900/1800/1900" and so did a big sticker on the box, but the manual inside said only GSM 900/1800. Indeed it did not work on any network. So buyer beware
    To my knowledge only one major carrier here in the US still has a GSM network...and that's T-Mobile. AT&T shut down their GSM network back in 2016. Since T-mobile will be shutting down their GSM network at the end of this year (at least according to this document: https://www.multitech.com/documents/...rriers_PDF.pdf), I would be looking for a tracker that supports UMTS bands here in the US.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by compuguy View Post
    To my knowledge only one major carrier here in the US still has a GSM network...and that's T-Mobile. AT&T shut down their GSM network back in 2016. Since T-mobile will be shutting down their GSM network at the end of this year (at least according to this document: https://www.multitech.com/documents/...rriers_PDF.pdf), I would be looking for a tracker that supports UMTS bands here in the US.
    Keep in mind we're responding to posts made nearly six years ago!

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    Keep in mind we're responding to posts made nearly six years ago!
    Yup...and in TWO DIFFERENT THREADS! ( https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...-Tracking-Plan )

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Time to close this old thread. It will remain for archival purpose only. If anyone needs more information, please start a new thread.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2