Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 272

Thread: Verizon CEO: “Eventually, Unlimited has to Go Away”

  1. #46
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    2,648
    Device(s)
    S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    It's simple, do what T-Mobile is doing and simply throttle data use. After x amount of ultra high speed LTE-A it drops back to LTE, then after x amount of that to 3G, then 1x and so on. Not that it has to use those standards, just have a set throttle limit for each tier.

    People hate risking going over to be surprised by a large bill, but are surprisingly content with dealing with slower speeds if they want to pay less.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    901
    Device(s)
    8830
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by whitetigergrowl View Post
    Some people refuse to let go of unlimited data. Verizon and ATT have both made it clear numerous times its not sustainable nor is it coming back. Some keep holding on for some odd reason.
    At 49% gross margin, I don't exactly feel guilty for holding onto my unlimited.

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,122
    Device(s)
    Moto X DevEd
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff5093 View Post
    It's simple, do what T-Mobile is doing and simply throttle data use. After x amount of ultra high speed LTE-A it drops back to LTE, then after x amount of that to 3G, then 1x and so on. Not that it has to use those standards, just have a set throttle limit for each tier.

    People hate risking going over to be surprised by a large bill, but are surprisingly content with dealing with slower speeds if they want to pay less.
    I was looking at Tmo recently, and if you ahve the unlimited 4G plan, you aren't getting throttled.

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    611
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by whitetigergrowl View Post
    Is it really a money grab? Are you 100% positive on that?
    Yes, it's a money grab. Sprint and T-Mobile have the same technical hurdles that Verizon and AT&T have, but manage to run their networks just fine with unlimited data. Verizon and AT&T are simply exploiting their market position.

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Michiana
    Posts
    1,279
    Device(s)
    Motorola Droid 4 / Samsung 4S
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by twbrn View Post
    Yes, it's a money grab. Sprint and T-Mobile have the same technical hurdles that Verizon and AT&T have, but manage to run their networks just fine with unlimited data. Verizon and AT&T are simply exploiting their market position.
    Sprint and T-Mobile have over 100 million lines each? That is news.

    No, they don't have the same technical hurdles.
    Three places to look:
    Rules Search FAQ

    ST3000 -> ST7868 + V.60i -> E815 -> Krave ZN4 -> Droid 2 Global -> Droid 4

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3,049
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA, Vodafone ES
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by justalurker View Post
    Sprint and T-Mobile have over 100 million lines each? That is news.

    No, they don't have the same technical hurdles.
    They don't, but generally Sprint and especially T-Mobile have a much denser network than VZW in urban areas. More cell sites = more capacity.

  7. #52
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Black Hills
    Posts
    2,564
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by twbrn View Post
    Yes, it's a money grab. Sprint and T-Mobile have the same technical hurdles that Verizon and AT&T have, but manage to run their networks just fine with unlimited data. Verizon and AT&T are simply exploiting their market position.
    Wait. So they both have over 100 million lines each AND a network that is comparable in size and speed to ATT and/or Verizon? And on top of that have 3G and 4G speeds that rival ATT and Verizon nationwide? I somehow missed that one.

    As I recall last year Sprint even mentioned they are not sure how much longer they'll be able to do unlimited data.

    As well, while both offer Unlimited data, it's only on their networks. Go off network with Tmobile and that unlimited data is shaved down to 50mb off network. So pray you never have to go anywhere that doesn't have native TMobile or Sprint. Which is quite a few places.

    Say what you want about the big 2, but neither Tmobile or Sprint are anywhere near the size of Verizon or ATTs network or customer base.

    With Att and Verizon there is no roaming off network. If you still have Unlimited data you can go crazy with no worry. Good luck doing that with Sprint or TMO off network especially.

    Last I saw if you roam too much off Sprints network you can be kicked off them.

    The list goes on. But even their unlimited data comes with caveats.

    Sent with the HoFo App

  8. #53
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Rural SE US
    Posts
    4,701
    Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    0
    Haven't yet seen it mentioned that while data usage is rising rapidly, the incremental cost per bit to the carriers is dropping even faster. Also, so far, no one seems to have factored into his argument the fact that carriers never buy metered data. Backhaul, for example is provisioned from fixed capacity leased lines so that vzw pays the same for a given tower's data flow whether it's at 20% or 65% of its leased maximum. Further, it is well known and advertised within the industry that existing spectrum can be made to carry 1000 times its current data load – with current tech.

    Those facts might modify the conclusions of some of the foregoing posts, perhaps and particularly some posts by justa, tchaika and wtg. There are, moreover, implications from those facts that seem to be getting short shrift here.

    ♪Where have all the lens caps gone? ♪
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 01-11-2014 at 02:00 AM.
    Learning Android root on my SGSIII while waiting for Ubuntu Phone OS.

    The Borg has assimilated US: Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending ~ "Resistance is futile."


    Perspective instantiates reality.

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    611
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by justalurker View Post
    Sprint and T-Mobile have over 100 million lines each? That is news.

    No, they don't have the same technical hurdles.
    You're right: Verizon and AT&T both have landline businesses as well as economies of scale that would make it EASIER and cheaper for them to run an unlimited data system than it is for Sprint and T-Mobile to do the same.

    Quote Originally Posted by whitetigergrowl View Post
    As well, while both offer Unlimited data, it's only on their networks. Go off network with Tmobile and that unlimited data is shaved down to 50mb off network. So pray you never have to go anywhere that doesn't have native TMobile or Sprint. Which is quite a few places.
    Of course, which is the entire reason that Verizon and AT&T have such a free hand to squeeze the consumer. They got in on the 850 spectrum, built networks appropriate to it, and have been eating lunch off it ever since because neither of the others could build a national network using only 1900. It amounts to a duopoly, one that they exploit ruthlessly. As TC_Mits points out, there's no realistic bottleneck or opportunity cost for transferring extra data; the big two simply find it profitable to create managed scarcity, so that we're paying $50 a gigabyte instead of ten.

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Michiana
    Posts
    1,279
    Device(s)
    Motorola Droid 4 / Samsung 4S
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    Haven't yet seen it mentioned that while data usage is rising rapidly, the incremental cost per bit to the carriers is dropping even faster. Also, so far, no one seems to have factored into his argument the fact that carriers never buy metered data. Backhaul, for example is provisioned from fixed capacity leased lines so that vzw pays the same for a given tower's data flow whether it's at 20% or 65% of its leased maximum. Further, it is well known and advertised within the industry that existing spectrum can be made to carry 1000 times its current data load – with current tech.

    Those facts might modify the conclusions of some of the foregoing posts, perhaps and particularly some posts by justa, tchaika and wtg. There are, moreover, implications from those facts that seem to be getting short shrift here.
    Please provide an accurate source for every claim made in your post. Be detailed. Thanks.
    (Offhand comments about "I've already posted that" or massive link lists that do not detail the claims made are not acceptable.)

    You claim to have the facts. Provide them. Not FUD about court decisions (your usual rant). Not repeated claims. Facts.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,271
    Feedback Score
    0
    It has for vz and att. Sprint seems to be following

    Sent with the HoFo App

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,129
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    Also, so far, no one seems to have factored into his argument the fact that carriers never buy metered data. Backhaul, for example is provisioned from fixed capacity leased lines so that vzw pays the same for a given tower's data flow whether it's at 20% or 65% of its leased maximum.
    You don't seem to understand or acknowledge that backhaul is not the limiting factor. Cell sites have a finite capacity. The deployment of new ones to shrink cell size helps a great deal, but this solution doesn't have infinite scale either. It's limited by political, financial, and technological considerations.

    Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    Further, it is well known and advertised within the industry that existing spectrum can be made to carry 1000 times its current data load – with current tech.
    1,000 times eh?

    Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    Those facts might modify the conclusions of some of the foregoing posts, perhaps and particularly some posts by justa, tchaika and wtg. There are, moreover, implications from those facts that seem to be getting short shrift here.
    *shrug*, I'm the one who thinks unlimited data will come back in a decade or so, for the reasons I've already stated. It won't be at today's price point -- inflation is a ***** -- but as the networks mature there won't be much room left for the carriers to compete on anything but pricing.

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,306
    Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    0
    Wait. So they both have over 100 million lines each AND a network that is comparable in size and speed to ATT and/or Verizon? And on top of that have 3G and 4G speeds that rival ATT and Verizon nationwide? I somehow missed that one.
    For talking about this being a cash grab or not, rural coverage (that VZW has while Sprint or T-Mo basically don't) is irrelevant. These sites will get light use compared to an urban site, so unlimited versus limited data won't impact these in terms of having to install capacity sites, or more channels and more equipment on each site. Of course with having this coverage I expect TOTAL price to be somewhat higher than Sprint or T-Mo, and it is.

    Sent from my SCH-I405 using HowardForums

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,040
    Feedback Score
    0
    It's really rather foolish for any of us to pretend to know what the cellular industry/market will look like in ten, or even five, years. We can all speculate, but that's all we're doing.

    How many cellphone photos were taken when the twin towers were attacked on 9/11? That's right, zero. Cellphones weren't equipped with cameras yet. That was just 12 years ago. At that time, how many of you would have envisioned being able to take high quality video and send it around the world to another cellphone to be viewed within minutes after the event?

    So, enjoy the technology which is available today on the plans which exist and don't sweat the future. Pragmatists will look at present conditions and present technologies and say "this is not possible" or "this has it's limitations". Visionaries see the unlikely, then make it happen. The cellular industry has both types in plentiful supply.

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    24
    Device(s)
    Droid Maxx
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by whitetigergrowl View Post
    Last I saw if you roam too much off Sprints network you can be kicked off them.
    This will happen on any network.

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 296
    Last Post: 11-06-2013, 08:02 AM
  2. How does your pay compare with Verizon CEO?
    By drrjv in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-20-2003, 12:26 AM
  3. Will Verizon ever have Unlimited Minutes like AT&T?
    By kevs in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-09-2003, 03:24 AM
  4. So Will Verizon Permanently offerr Unlimited Text Messages ?
    By WeneedJapPhones in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-17-2003, 12:37 AM
  5. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-06-2001, 10:34 PM

Bookmarks