Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rogers LTE max speed 5Mbps download speed?

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score

Rogers LTE max speed 5Mbps download speed?

I have a Blackberry Q10 (SQN100-3) on the rogers network. I'm in the London Ontario area which their coverage map shows has LTE+ coverage (150 Mbps download).

I've gone to five major speed testing websites (eg: speedtest.net, dsl reports) and I consistently get 3.5-4 MBps download (and 0.75 MBps upload). This is incredibly slow! I opened a ticket with Rogers and they closed it 2 hours later saying everything is fine (ticket CT05012045).

I called support again who told me remove all apps (no difference), then factory reset the phone (no difference), even reloaded firmware onto phone (no difference). I then tried my wife's Z10 and got the same results (she has no apps installed). The woman I spoke to at Rogers tech support said they can't comment on third party websites (like speedtest.net ), but that I should try cbc.ca and google.ca, and if they load fine then there is nothing wrong. (I explained that I don't have a lack of connectivity problem, rather a speed problem, so she said just look at how fast the cbc.ca page loads and if it's reasonably fast then all is fine).

Is this really all I can expect on Rogers LTE? I just switched the family's phones to Rogers (4 phones) expecting great internet speeds but this is ridiculous. (I got 17 Mbps download on Virgin mobile with my last phone). I've posted my results and screenshot to the speed thread...but hoping someone can respond to this post with help/ideas on why this is happening.

Rogers has closed my ticket, and told me to factory reset my phone....and I'm left with really slow internet!
    Last edited by ocgltd; 01-05-2014 at 11:06 PM.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Is slow for you 5 mbits on a q10 really ? Yes normally the 2600 mhz lte network is faster...

Sent with the HoFo App

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I'm not sure what you are asking ("Is slow for you 5 mbits on a q10 really"). Since the Q10 is a new and fast device it should be able to handle much faster speeds - and testing on an office LAN shows it can easily handle 40Mbps download.

Should 5Mbps be considered fast on Rogers LTE on a new blackberry?

Feedback Score
    Sorry to hear about your LTE speeds. I am also located in London. I just switched to the Rogers Network and I did a speed test where I work. http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/680469644
    55mps up, and 10mps down. Performed on a Note 3. You definitely have some issues from the looks of it, but location, and bandwidth traffic could play a factor. Can't really tell you more, other than verifying that fast speeds are out there. Good luck with resolving your speed issues.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity, Etisalat Afghanistan
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.3; en-ca; SGH-I317M Build/JSS15J) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Quote Originally Posted by ocgltd
    I'm not sure what you are asking ("Is slow for you 5 mbits on a q10 really"). Since the Q10 is a new and fast device it should be able to handle much faster speeds - and testing on an office LAN shows it can easily handle 40Mbps download.

Should 5Mbps be considered fast on Rogers LTE on a new blackberry?
    He was saying it is slow, and was saying 5 mbps only, really? And Damn that is very bad. Slower than wind in London LOL. I get 20 down and 7 up in London on uwo campus (Telus lte) which is a bit slow
    Last edited by seculaR; 01-06-2014 at 04:06 AM.
    RIP Mobilicity

Feedback Score
    Are you sure you are connected to the LTE network (LTE SIM card, correct APN, correct network mode on BlackBerry)? What is your signal level (RSRP) when doing a speed test?

Your speedtest result has an extremely high ping, and very low throughput for LTE, so it sounds like you are on HSPA, not LTE.

That phone supports LTE band 7, not LTE band 4, so make sure there is band 7 coverage where you are located, regardless of what Rogers' coverage map says.

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartp...9158831-en.pdf
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    My phone icons alternate between 4G and LTE so that's encouraging. I also have automatic network selection enabled and it is selecting 4G. Since I get data at all I assume APN is correct and I'm getting 4/5 or 5/5 bars of signal.

I tried again in downtown london (near train station) and got same slow speeds. I tried on UWO campus this morning and got 4Mbps download but 13 Mbps upload. Encouraging but still pretty useless..

I'm wondering if this is snow storm related? Were your speed tests (Londoners) from today (Jan 6th) or from earlier tests?

Feedback Score
    2 weeks ago at Exeter and Wellington.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ocgltd View Post
    My phone icons alternate between 4G and LTE so that's encouraging. I also have automatic network selection enabled and it is selecting 4G. Since I get data at all I assume APN is correct and I'm getting 4/5 or 5/5 bars of signal.

I tried again in downtown london (near train station) and got same slow speeds. I tried on UWO campus this morning and got 4Mbps download but 13 Mbps upload. Encouraging but still pretty useless..

I'm wondering if this is snow storm related? Were your speed tests (Londoners) from today (Jan 6th) or from earlier tests?
    If it keeps alternating between 4G (HSPA) and LTE that means the LTE signal in the places you frequent is probably quite weak. If you're getting 5mbps while the phone displays "4G" which is HSPA, then that speed is pretty normal.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I asked rogers tech support about that yesterday, and they explained that "4G" means its using voice and "LTE" means its using data.

(That didn't seem right). I have to say some of the advice and direction I have received from Rogers tech support has been pretty far off base...

Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    You are not on LTE if your device does not show LTE.

As stated. 5mb is pretty normal for 4G HSPA.

Once you connect to a strong LTE signal you'll see the speeds fly.

Sent from my LG G2

Feedback Score
    I asked rogers tech support about that yesterday, and they explained that "4G" means its using voice and "LTE" means its using data.

(That didn't seem right). I have to say some of the advice and direction I have received from Rogers tech support has been pretty far off base...
    Rogers "4G" is UMTS/HSPA, which is used for voice and data.
    LTE is data-only at the moment.

Feedback Score
    Hi there,

Sarah from the Rogers Social Media Team here.

Are the speeds you're seeing in one specific area or generally? If they're in one specific area, can you please PM the address so I can flag this with our network team?

Sarah

I have a Blackberry Q10 (SQN100-3) on the rogers network. I'm in the London Ontario area which their coverage map shows has LTE+ coverage (150 Mbps download).

I've gone to five major speed testing websites (eg: speedtest.net, dsl reports) and I consistently get 3.5-4 MBps download (and 0.75 MBps upload). This is incredibly slow! I opened a ticket with Rogers and they closed it 2 hours later saying everything is fine (ticket CT05012045).

I called support again who told me remove all apps (no difference), then factory reset the phone (no difference), even reloaded firmware onto phone (no difference). I then tried my wife's Z10 and got the same results (she has no apps installed). The woman I spoke to at Rogers tech support said they can't comment on third party websites (like speedtest.net ), but that I should try cbc.ca and google.ca, and if they load fine then there is nothing wrong. (I explained that I don't have a lack of connectivity problem, rather a speed problem, so she said just look at how fast the cbc.ca page loads and if it's reasonably fast then all is fine).

Is this really all I can expect on Rogers LTE? I just switched the family's phones to Rogers (4 phones) expecting great internet speeds but this is ridiculous. (I got 17 Mbps download on Virgin mobile with my last phone). I've posted my results and screenshot to the speed thread...but hoping someone can respond to this post with help/ideas on why this is happening.

Rogers has closed my ticket, and told me to factory reset my phone....and I'm left with really slow internet!

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    No the problem doesn't just occur in a single area. I've done tests in downtown London (Ontario), UWO campus, northwest London, etc.

As I have the Q10 SQN100-3 my phone uses the newer 2600 MHz frequency for LTE (I believe). Has Rogers deployed 2600 MHz across London?

Wondering if I'm experiencing HSPA speeds only?

Device(s)
    Moto X SkyNET edition
    Carrier(s)
    To be determined
    Feedback Score
    That may just answer your question right there - your phone only supports band 7 LTE (2600 Mhz) which has extremely limited range/coverage. You have to be very very close to the cell site to use it. You would be much better off with a model that supports band 4 LTE(1700/2100Mhz) it has a much larger coverage region. As others have mentioned chances are you're not connected with LTE at all, only HSPA which would match your speed test more or less.
    I'd say there is nothing wrong with your phone, its just not the best Q10 model to be using with Rogers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast