Thread: MMS/Text messages blocking?

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I mean that you will be billed for messages you know nothing about. If you do not want to be billed for all the messages you know about, what do think about being billed for phantom messages which you cannot even look at if you wanted to? The app will retrieve and delete the messages without storing them. The review talked about a message log. The people who are praising the app are those who are not concerned about the cost because they have a message allowance to cover them. There is no application you can install on your telephone to block messages at the source carrier or even the destination carrier.

Store and forward is the industry standard for SMS. There is no guarantee that message will be delivered. They are simply sent to the destination telephone if it is reachable. Undelivered messages are held about seventy-two hours . If not delivered during that time, they are deleted with the only trace being the charge for the carrier receiving them. You will not know about the undelivered message unless the sender asks why you did not respond. Here is the information on AT&T and Verizon for comparisons:

AT&T Mobility
    6.5 Text Messaging And Picture/Video Messaging

If you do not enroll in a monthly recurring plan for messaging, data, or Video Share, you may have access to messaging, data, and video share services and be charged on a pay-per-use basis if you use those services.

Messages are limited to 160 characters per message. Premium text and picture/video messages are charged at their stated rates. Standard rates apply to all incoming messages when in the U.S. Different, non-standard per message charges apply to international messages sent from the U.S.

Text, Picture, and Video messages are charged when sent or received, whether read or unread, solicited or unsolicited. AT&T does not guarantee delivery of messages. Text, Picture, and Video messages, including downloaded content, not delivered within 3 days will be deleted. AT&T reserves the right to change this delivery period as needed without notification.

You are charged for each part of messages that are delivered to you in multiple parts. Picture/Video Messaging, data plan, and Text Messaging may need to be provisioned on an account in order to use Picture/Video Messaging. Some elements of Picture/Video messages may not be accessible, viewable, or heard due to limitations on certain wireless phones, PCs, or e-mail.

AT&T reserves the right to change the Picture/Video message size limit at any time without notification. Picture/Video Messaging pricing is for domestic messages only. When a single message is sent to multiple recipients, the sender is charged for one message for each recipient and each recipient is charged for the message received.

Text message notifications may be sent to non-Picture/Video Messaging subscribers if they subscribe to Text Messaging. You may receive unsolicited messages from third parties as a result of visiting Internet sites, and a per-message charge may apply whether the message is read or unread, solicited or unsolicited.

You agree you will not use our messaging services to send messages that contain advertising or a commercial solicitation to any person or entity without their consent. You will have the burden of proving consent with clear and convincing evidence if a person or entity complains you did not obtain their consent. Consent cannot be evidenced by third party lists you purchased or obtained. You further agree you will not use our messaging service to send messages that: (a) are bulk messages (b) are automatically generated; (c) can disrupt AT&T’s network; (d) harass or threaten another person (e) interfere with another customer’s use or enjoyment of AT&T’s Services; (f) generate significant or serious customer complaints, (g) that falsify or mask the sender/originator of the message; or (h) violate any law or regulation. AT&T reserves the right, but is not obligated, to deny, disconnect, suspend, modify and/or terminate your messaging service or messaging services with any associated account(s), or to deny, disconnect, suspend, modify and/or terminate the account(s), without notice, as to anyone using messaging services in any manner that is prohibited. Our failure to take any action in the event of a violation shall not be construed as a waiver of the right to enforce such terms, conditions, or policies. Advertising and commercial solicitations do not include messaging that: (a) facilitates, completes, or confirms a commercial transaction where the recipient of such message has previously agreed to enter into with the sender of such message; or (b) provides account information, service or product information, warranty information, product recall information, or safety or security information with respect to a commercial product or service used or purchased by the recipient of such message.
    Verizon Wireless

Text Messaging, Premium Text Messaging, Text Alerts and Instant Messaging - Terms & Conditions

Text Messaging, Premium Text Messaging, Text Alerts and Instant Messaging services require a two-way, messaging-capable phone. Standard text messaging charge of $0.20/message applies to messages sent and received in the Nationwide Rate and Coverage Area, except for International Text Messages, which cost $0.25/message sent and $0.20/message received, and which do not use messaging bundle allowances. When roaming internationally, different charges may apply and messaging bundle allowances may not be used; see www.verizonwireless.com/international for more information. Your telephone number will always be sent to the destination, even if you use Caller ID Blocking options for voice calls. Verizon Wireless reserves the right to block unsolicited messages, but you may receive unsolicited messages. In addition to other penalties provided by law, anyone who uses the Verizon Wireless network to send "spam" risks having his or her service terminated and/or his or her messages blocked. The system will attempt delivery of the message for up to five (5) days from the date of receipt by Verizon Wireless. After five (5) days, messages not delivered will be automatically deleted. Verizon Wireless cannot guarantee that messages will be received. Verizon Wireless is not responsible for messages that are lost or misdirected. Verizon Wireless is not responsible for information sent using messaging services. A 160-character limit applies and it includes the email address indicated by the sender, the message content and, if provided, the subject's call back number. Only160 characters of the message will be received. All remaining characters will be deleted. If your phone model supports Enhanced Text Messaging, a higher character limit may apply and additional messaging features may be available, but message recipient's ability to receive or view such additional characters and features may vary by phone model, software and wireless service provider. See phone manufacturer's user guide for details.

Premium Text Charges. Common short codes are five-digit numbers used by third parties to conduct Text-based campaigns. Campaigns vary by short code. Opt-in requirements vary by campaign. To opt-in to a campaign, send a Text Message to the applicable common short code and follow the instructions, if any. Standard messaging charges apply to Text Messages sent and received via all common short codes. Premium charges apply, in addition to standard messaging charges, to Text Messages sent and received via some common short codes. The amount of any premium charges, and whether they are one-time or recurring subscription charges, will be disclosed at time of opt-in. Premium charges will be included in your Verizon Wireless bill. Send the words CANCEL, END, QUIT, STOP or UNSUBSCRIBE to any common short code to opt-out of a campaign at any time. Send the word HELP to any common short code to get information, including details on any premium charges and contact information for the third party sponsoring the campaign, related to a campaign at any time. Some campaigns may be subject to additional terms and conditions. See www.verizonwireless.com for more information.

Unlimited Mobile to Mobile Messaging. Unlimited Mobile to Mobile Messaging with any other Verizon Wireless customer from within the National Enhanced Services Rate and Coverage Area. Unlimited Mobile to Mobile Messaging is not available throughout the Nationwide Rate and Coverage Area.

May require subscription to new Calling Plan. Cannot be combined with any other bundle that includes a Text or Picture & Video allowance. Unlimited Mobile to Mobile Messaging applies only to Text and Picture & Video Messages sent/received within the National Enhanced Services Rate and Coverage Area from a Verizon Wireless customer's phone to another Verizon Wireless customer's phone, and addressed to the recipient's 10-digit phone number. Monthly allowance and overage rate of $0.10/message sent or received applies to all other Text and Picture & Video Messages sent and received in the National Enhanced Services Rate and Coverage Area except International Text Messages, which cost $0.25/message sent and $0.20/message received. In addition to messaging charges, sending and receiving picture/video messages, and uploading pictures/videos from phones to Picture Place®, uses airtime that will be deducted from your Voice Calling Plan's monthly anytime minute allowance or charged at the applicable per-minute rate. If you subscribe to a data plan or feature that does not include unlimited data usage, airtime used for these activities will be deducted from your monthly data allowance or charged at the applicable per-kilobyte rate, even if you also subscribe to a Voice Calling Plan.

Basic Messaging Bundle. Subject to Text Messaging, Premium Text Messaging, Text Alert and Instant Messaging Terms and Conditions, and Picture and Video Messaging Terms and Conditions. Standard text messaging charge applies to all messages sent or received in excess of monthly allowance. International Text Messages and Premium Text Charges are not included. Airtime applies for Picture and Video Messages. Text Bundle monthly allowances/overage charges or, if applicable, your Calling Plan's Text Messaging charges apply when registering for Text Alerts and for all Text Alerts received. Text Alerts are not included in Unlimited Mobile to Mobile Messaging.

© 2013 Verizon Wireless
    Last edited by efparri; 01-06-2014 at 06:27 PM.
    Earl F. Parrish

Device(s)
    N95-4
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by curvefan View Post
    That's exactly what I want to do.

I want to be able to allow certain text/mms messages but also be able to reject messages from people I don't know.

I really don't want to block all messages though.

Can someone explain how I could do this on my Nexus4?

Thanks.....
    Several apps will do this, but you will still be charged for the "blocked" messages.

If you don't want to be charged for unwanted messages, the only way I know to do this is to disable all messaging through your carrier.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    @OP: At least a couple people in this thread have tried to help you by steering you toward a better plan. And yet you explicitly refuse to switch plans. So all I can say is have fun and enjoy the rip-off pricing and annoyances of the plan that you are on.

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, ekit, Truphone, Piranha, Three UK, Lycamobile, WorldSim
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    So once again, if someone with a grudge against you, who knew your phone number, they could continuously send you messages thereby depleting the funds in your account, and you could do nothing to stop this, short of blocking all messages or changing your number?
    Unless there is 'someone' as you say, I would not worry about it. If there is, your cell phone number is worthless.

Device(s)
    Moto Maxx (XT1225, LG Nexus 5 (LG-D820)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

So what good would the Android app be then? If you are still charged for the message, what would be the reason to use the app?

So once again, if someone with a grudge against you, who knew your phone number, they could continuously send you messages thereby depleting the funds in your account, and you could do nothing to stop this, short of blocking all messages or changing your number? Is that correct?
    Apps that block calls/texts from unwanted/unknown people are to prevent annoyances -- not necessarily to save money.

Previous phone number owner's friends, relatives, creditors call and text? BLOCK. Marketers text about upcoming events? BLOCK.

How much are you paying per month, on average with your "pay as you go" plan? Most people just end up getting a package with unlimited texts (or some ridiculously high figure, like "5000 per month" on some carriers/MVNOs that is like unlimited) -- since per text costs can be high. You need to change your plan.

Years ago with pre-paid Verizon I had minutes pay-as-you-go plan, as I only used my simple flip cell phone for "emergencies". Problem is friends who found out my cell phone number would call that FIRST instead of my landline. Even if I didn't answer, they would leave voice mails which depleted my minutes. After paying $90 in ONE month for more minutes, I quickly realized an unlimited minutes plan would be better. For you some kind of unlimited text plan would be better.

That's why I'm asking how much you -- on average -- you are paying each month. If you are paying $25 - $30 per month (on average), you might as well move to one of the unlimited text plans, depending on how many minutes you need each month.

I have an Android phone. Nexus4. Where can I block messages? But...

It really wouldn't do any good to block messages if I'm gonna get charged for them anyway.

Changing plans is my only option if I don't wanna get charged for text/mms messages? Not good.

Are all pay as you go plans this way? I really wanna stay with a pay as you go plan of some type.

Thanks again.....
    Also, looking at all the GoPhone plans, how were you able to get on a "basic" phone plan with a Nexus 4? The only GoPhone plan available with per text charges like you describe are for "basic" phones, not smartphones. Every other plan has UNLIMITED texts.

Seems they would have forced you onto a "smartphone" plan...

Last edited by ChazzMatt; 01-07-2014 at 12:27 AM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Go Phone has a 200 message plan for $4.99 for pay-as-you go customers. As I mentioned early, if the cost of those message is less than the cost of the package, it is not cost effective to get the package. If the cost of talking is more than $2.00 on a given day, the $2.00 unlimited plan is a choice. One is only charged the $2.00 on days when they call or send messages. The $2.00 fee is not assessed for incoming messages.

One can use a smartphone on some basic telephone plans. Data usage is disabled since there are no pay-per-use data charges with smartphones.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    ChazzMatt,

Thanks for that post. Very helpful.

Here is my set up:

I have an Android Nexus4 phone that I'm using with an AT&T $0.10/min. pay as you go plan. I pay $27.50 every three months and what I don't use carries over to the next month. So basically it comes out to about $9.00/mo. Why would I want to switch plans? It's perfect for me. I don't think I will find a plan much cheaper for my needs.

Since I'm a very light user I have accrued close to $100.00 in my account.

I have had this same plan for a number of years so maybe that's why I can do all of this with a Nexus4 smart phone. My previous phone was an AT&T Fusion which I had the same exact plan with. Maybe I'm grandfathered in or something.

I have to respectfully disagree with all the well meaning posters on here who think I should switch plans because of the high costs for text and MMS messages. I really don't use text/mms messages so why would I need a plan that offers unlimited messages.

I simply started this thread to ask if there was some way to block unsolicited messages, not if I should change plans.

So, to wrap this up, I'm happy with the plan I have and if I start getting too many unsolicited messages which I get billed for, I will deal with it then. Right now I only get one once in awhile.

Again, thanks to everyone who tried to help. I really do appreciate it.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by rfranzq View Post
    Unless there is 'someone' as you say, I would not worry about it. If there is, your cell phone number is worthless.
    No, there is no one with a grudge against me, at least that I know of.

Ex wifie is long gone.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    So, to wrap this up, I'm happy with the plan I have and if I start getting too many unsolicited messages which I get billed for, I will deal with it then. Right now I only get one once in awhile.
    So, in other words, you started this thread in order to get everybody concerned about an issue that you are actually not particularly concerned about. Give me a break!

Device(s)
    LG Transpyre
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Pomgup View Post
    So, in other words, you started this thread in order to get everybody concerned about an issue that you are actually not particularly concerned about. Give me a break!
    I still think that $0.25 per text is robbery. That's why I always go with unlimited talk and text plans. It's nice to have that cushion to be able to talk and text as long as you need to.
    I Am Perfection
    -Jarrett178

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    No. I started this thread wanting to know if anyone knew the answer to a simple question.

The question was this: Is there any way to block certain text/mms messages and not have to pay for them?

A simple answer would have been this: No, there is no way to do that, other than to block all.

But some people want to offer their advice as well, which is fine with me.

Then others are just plain rude and have no business butting into a thread that they have no business in.

Give me a break!!!

Done with this thread..............................

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    If you read back through the thread, I said that messages can be blocked but you are still billed for them. You prolonged the thread after you received your answer.

Sent with the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Maybe another ATT MVNO would be a better choice. How about H2O?

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-01-07 at 1.26.56 PM.png
Views: 572
Size:  37.6 KB

Or if TMobile would work for you how about Lycamobile? Not sure about MMS with them.

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-01-07 at 1.32.29 PM.png
Views: 557
Size:  39.1 KB

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Have you tried using the interception feature in the settings? In fact, I think it is not very good, so I spent some time searching for the Android text blocking app. I am using Mr. Number, which is better than system blocking.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Wow. How did you get that out of his post? He was asking if all carriers charged for unread messages like his (AT&T) did, presumably just in case this became a larger problem.

It was actually a legitimate concern for a lot of people back in the day before "everybody" had unlimited messaging. I used to call my carrier (T-Mo) and demand credit every time I received an unsolicited text (back then I was paying $0.20 for MMS, IIRC). T-Mo wasn't obligated to issue the credits (I'm pretty sure the official policy was like the OP's AT&T options- shut off all messaging, buy a plan or just eat it) but they credited me as a courtesy to a long time customer.

Eventually as the world changed and everyone (except me, it seemed!) had unlimited texting, I got tired of being the weird guy begging his family and friends to call or email me instead of text me so I gave in and bought an unlimited texting plan.

To answer the OP's question the best I can, there seems to be no carrier that charges you only if open a message. It counts against you the minute the system receives it on any carrier I have experience with, so no text blocking or filtering apps will help.

If it becomes a bigger problem, the OP would have to look at providers with lower per use rates, like H2O Wireless (an AT&T MVNO offering a pay as you go plan for $10/90 days, with $0.05/minute or text, $0.10 per MMS).

The "problem" with switching now is his $100+ AT&T balance which he needs to run down before switching would be a viable option.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast