Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Considering switching to Telus from Wind

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by intlbizman View Post
    Telus doesn't charge less if you don't use LTE. so if you come to Telus with a phone that isn't compatible with the LTE network, you're not getting what you paid for..
    Can not argue with that. However, I haven't even mentioned anything about pricing in my original post.

Device(s)
    Honor Play 6GB 128GB version, Xiaomi mi A1, testing Meiigoo S8.
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin, HOT mobile Israel.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MorsVincitOmnia View Post
    I think that I heard both of you say this before, and I won't disagree. Clearly, you have a much better experience with LTE, than with anything else prior to that.

However, could you provide a couple of examples of what an average cellphone user would gain by going from a well-implement HSPA+ to a steady LTE? And what have you personally gained?

I am struggling to understand how much speed do you really need on your cellphone, if you mostly browse web, send e-mails, watch videos, video chat, and so forth. All of this can be easily done on HSPA+ with little difference.

Thank you for your input, guys!
    Latency for one, and waiting for a web page to load, a video to open, an attachment to show or have everything happen instantly when you press it. not to mention downloading.
    Phones using: Honor Play 6GB 128GB,wife using LG G7 One, son using iPhone XR,daughter using iPhone XR, Youngest son using Xiaomi Redmi 5.

Device(s)
    Moto X SkyNET edition
    Carrier(s)
    To be determined
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ijcy View Post
    Latency for one, and waiting for a web page to load, a video to open, an attachment to show or have everything happen instantly when you press it. not to mention downloading.
    Perhaps in your area the HSPA network has a higher load then in some other areas. It is true LTE is generally faster and has half the latency(or less) but the difference is so minimal on my phone I can only tell based on the latency, not the speed itself - unless it is a large download. If I tether to a PC then the difference becomes a little more obvious, but only because I am looking for it. If someone has a choice then sure go with LTE but the average user will never notice a difference.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSteve View Post
    Perhaps in your area the HSPA network has a higher load then in some other areas. It is true LTE is generally faster and has half the latency(or less) but the difference is so minimal on my phone I can only tell based on the latency, not the speed itself - unless it is a large download. If I tether to a PC then the difference becomes a little more obvious, but only because I am looking for it. If someone has a choice then sure go with LTE but the average user will never notice a difference.
    I am an on the road salesman so my area is the GTA all over. And again trust me once you press something on LTE like a video or a web site instead of waiting for it to load it instantly plays or opens the page in full.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I am an on the road salesman so my area is the GTA all over. And again trust me once you press something on LTE like a video or a web site instead of waiting for it to load it instantly plays or opens the page in full.
    No waiting time here in hspa... But again is really different in many area !

Sent from my BlackBerry 9670 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Moto X SkyNET edition
    Carrier(s)
    To be determined
    Feedback Score
    Aren't you technically with Virgin/Bell? The radio portion of the network is the same but the network backhaul is not between Telus/Bell.

Anyway, no question LTE is faster but I am still confident 99% of users will never notice any difference.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Aren't you technically with Virgin/Bell? The radio portion of the network is the same but the network backhaul is not between Telus/Bell.

Anyway, no question LTE is faster but I am still confident 99% of users will never notice any difference.
    I aqm not sure what you are replying to with the first part of your post.

Device(s)
    Moto X SkyNET edition
    Carrier(s)
    To be determined
    Feedback Score
    I aqm not sure what you are replying to with the first part of your post.
    I didn't word my reply as well as I could have. The difference you're seeing between HSPA and LTE with Virgin/Bell is not always going to be the same as the difference between HSPA and LTE with Telus/Koodo. While they do share the radio access network in many locations the network back haul and pipe to the internet is not shared same way. So who knows what the two providers do between the two protocols. Could possibly explain why you see such a difference between HSPA and LTE and some other people don't.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I didn't word my reply as well as I could have. The difference you're seeing between HSPA and LTE with Virgin/Bell is not always going to be the same as the difference between HSPA and LTE with Telus/Koodo. While they do share the radio access network in many locations the network back haul and pipe to the internet is not shared same way. So who knows what the two providers do between the two protocols. Could possibly explain why you see such a difference between HSPA and LTE and some other people don't.
    Got it, that nakes sense. Let me ask people here though, who have experience with both HSPA and LTE do you notice a difference or is it negligible?
    Last edited by ijcy; 01-09-2014 at 03:46 PM.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Can not argue with that. However, I haven't even mentioned anything about pricing in my original post.

that's why i brought it up
    $55 500 minutes 5pm E/W 5GB nationwide my10 unlimited SMS caller ID

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Got it, that nakes sense. Let me ask people here though, who have experience with both HSPA and LTE do you notice a difference or is it negligible?
    Nothing for me... LTE is on battery drain for me... And when i move in area where lte signal is low... Take little second to switch and go to hspa... For this reason lte is not enable on all my device... When lte will be ok for voice... Lte will be activated on my compatible phone

Sent with the HoFo App

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score
    I think that I heard both of you say this before, and I won't disagree. Clearly, you have a much better experience with LTE, than with anything else prior to that.

However, could you provide a couple of examples of what an average cellphone user would gain by going from a well-implement HSPA+ to a steady LTE? And what have you personally gained?

I am struggling to understand how much speed do you really need on your cellphone, if you mostly browse web, send e-mails, watch videos, video chat, and so forth. All of this can be easily done on HSPA+ with little difference.

Thank you for your input, guys!
    Lots. LTE latency is such that when I get home / connect to any wifi, I immediately notice the drop in speeds. (Even my school wifi which is pretty fast). Even then, Web browsing seems to be extremely responsive and makes me want to use the service more. HSPA has an annoying lag which repels me from using it.

The services which see maximal improvement are Web browsing (especially graphics heavy pages) and Skype and other voip systems and videos. (YouTube buffers at a higher quality over LTE and you get no lag. Netflix doesn't lag, same for vimeo etc)

The improvement is minimal when compared to things like streaming radio - which needs a steady stream of data and latency doesn't matter unless it doesn't fluctuate.

Now you can justify being on HSPA by saying that most normal people don't need LTE. Same can be said about 2G. Technical that's enough for most people as well - but you see if I get no pleasure out of a service I am paying for, it would not make any sense for me to keep paying for it. I get no pleasure over HSPA. I **need** LTE.

Sent with the HoFo App

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thund3rbay View Post
    Nothing for me... LTE is on battery drain for me... And when i move in area where lte signal is low... Take little second to switch and go to hspa... For this reason lte is not enable on all my device... When lte will be ok for voice... Lte will be activated on my compatible phone

Sent with the HoFo App
    LTE on 2 bars is much better than HSPA on 5.dont worry about the signal bars unless you have 0-1 bar

Sent with the HoFo App

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score
    Ijcy is using Virgin and I am on Telus.

Sent with the HoFo App

Device(s)
    Moto X SkyNET edition
    Carrier(s)
    To be determined
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xtachx View Post
    Ijcy is using Virgin and I am on Telus.

Sent with the HoFo App
    I'm not saying LTE isn't better then HSPA. Power users such as yourself and ijcy do notice the difference, however 99% of users never will. I can also tell the difference and generally leave it on, though the signal is pretty weak many places I go. Even in a very strong signal area standby time will be reduced on LTE, the chipsets are still not as efficient when using LTE versus HSPA.

Anyway, looking back at the original title of this thread I'd take Telus over Wind anyday, lol.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast