Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Considering switching to Telus from Wind

Feedback Score

Considering switching to Telus from Wind

Hi all,
    I am new to the forum and am looking for some advice. I am considering switching to Telus from Wind (many issues with reception and service for the last year, but the ice storm was the last straw - practically no service for three days). I have Galaxy S3 from Wind - will it work on Telus network?
    I have the $40 unlimited from Wind - I know Telus doesnt have the exact same plan but what's the closest that can be obtained from them (negotiations, special offers etc) for a BYOD month to month (I'd rather keep my one year old phone and not get stuck with another 2 yr contract).
    I am also considering Fido - any pointers in that direction are also greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance
    Vlad

Feedback Score
    If you carrier unlock the phone, it seems like you should be able to use HSPA+ but not LTE.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Essential PH-1 / Apple iPhone X
    Feedback Score
    I don't know your exact plan requirements, but I'd think Koodo would be the more natural progression from Wind. If I didn't have a retention plan with Telus I would be looking at Koodo first (same network, better prices).

Carrier(s)
    TELUS -> Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Check Koodo! They have better plans than TELUS!

(and TELUS owns them!)
    Bell and Rogers and Koodo

Line 1 $50 - Iphone 7 Plus 128GB
    Freedom Mobile
    Unlimited Calling - North America (Canada to US Long Distance)
    8GB a Month Full Speed
    Unlimited Global Text
    1GB North American Roaming (US and Canada)

Line 2 $50.00 - Iphone 7 128GB
    Rogers
    Unlimited Calling
    Unlimited LTE Data (20GB full speed)
    Unlimited Txt

Line 3 & 4
    Koodo
    $40.00 Ontario PLAN (Not QC or SK or MB)
    6GB LTE Data
    Unlimited Canada Wide Calling
    Unlimited Global text

Feedback Score
    Definitely check out Koodo instead. Better bang for your buck. Don't waste your money on Telus. Fido, as you've mentioned, is another good option. It will all come down to what both of these companies can offer you. Most likely their plans will be more or less the same, because they don't really compete, they just match each other.

Out of the two, if I had to choose, I'd go with Koodo.

Device(s)
    Galaxy SIII
    Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity, P4, CMCC
    Feedback Score
    I switched my Wind line to Koodo, it was a good decision. Got the 55$ promo plan, it was a great decision. If it's still available, that would be your best bet for features and price. Telus was charging ~85 plus tax for something similar. (FYI Koodo is owned by Telus.)

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    get a new phone
    no LTE = what's the point
    $55 500 minutes 5pm E/W 5GB nationwide my10 unlimited SMS caller ID

Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    New in the forums with 7+ years of being a member?, I have see the same post in Fido forums

Carrier(s)
    wind
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pistol View Post
    New in the forums with 7+ years of being a member?, I have see the same post in Fido forums
    acceptance and denial in a same statement which is leading towards complete denial

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by intlbizman View Post
    no LTE = what's the point
    Yikes... the corporate marketing really does work on you, doesn't it?

For one, LTE is not essential. It's a "want", rather than a "need". Secondly, HSPA+, when done right, is fast enough for, well, everything that you might want to do on your cellphone.

Now tell me again why LTE is the only way to go.

Device(s)
    Honor Play 6GB 128GB version, Xiaomi mi A1, testing Meiigoo S8.
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin, HOT mobile Israel.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MorsVincitOmnia View Post

For one, LTE is not essential. It's a "want", rather than a "need". Secondly, HSPA+, when done right, is fast enough for, well, everything that you might want to do on your cellphone.

MorsVincitOmnia i used to say the exact same things....till i used LTE, now there is no way i can go back to HSPA.
    every now and then when the phone switches to H+ instead of LTE it feels like a turtle running to me.
    Phones using: Honor Play 6GB 128GB,wife using LG G7 One, son using iPhone XR,daughter using iPhone XR, Youngest son using Xiaomi Redmi 5.

Device(s)
    Moto X SkyNET edition
    Carrier(s)
    To be determined
    Feedback Score
    LTE is nice but its certainly far from required. HSPA+ generally gives slower data and double the latency but it also offers better coverage and less battery drain. I notice the latency more then the transfer rate difference myself.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score

Disagree. LTE is a "need" after you use it once. Its no longer a "want". Its LTE or nothing - and it is worth $20 extra per month. I was also like you at first, but then I used LTE for a while and there is no going back.

Going from HSPA to LTE is like going from 2G to 3G.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score

lol corporate marketing? do you even know what that means? have you even used LTE?

it's been a while since i came across a troll like you. allow me to educate:

Telus doesn't charge less if you don't use LTE. so if you come to Telus with a phone that isn't compatible with the LTE network, you're not getting what you paid for.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSteve View Post
    LTE is nice but its certainly far from required. HSPA+ generally gives slower data and double the latency but it also offers better coverage and less battery drain. I notice the latency more then the transfer rate difference myself.
    the battery drain is a result of the search/switch to LTE... if LTE coverage was perfect and voice traffic traveled on LTE instead of HSPA and there was no need to switch in and out of LTE... there would be no battery drain...

kinda like there is battery drain when you move in and out of reception on 2G or 3G network back in the day... but if you were in well-signaled area all day, you would not experience battery drain.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ijcy View Post
    MorsVincitOmnia i used to say the exact same things....till i used LTE, now there is no way i can go back to HSPA.
    Quote Originally Posted by xtachx View Post
    I was also like you at first, but then I used LTE for a while and there is no going back.
    I think that I heard both of you say this before, and I won't disagree. Clearly, you have a much better experience with LTE, than with anything else prior to that.

However, could you provide a couple of examples of what an average cellphone user would gain by going from a well-implement HSPA+ to a steady LTE? And what have you personally gained?

I am struggling to understand how much speed do you really need on your cellphone, if you mostly browse web, send e-mails, watch videos, video chat, and so forth. All of this can be easily done on HSPA+ with little difference.

Thank you for your input, guys!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast