Thread: The Wonderful World of Inductive Charging

Carrier(s)
    Telus $75/15GB
    Feedback Score

Post The Wonderful World of Inductive Charging

Name:  nexus-charger.png
Views: 869
Size:  112.3 KB

I kind of went full fanboy when I ordered my Nexus 5 last month. My $399 order ended up being quite a bit more after I added an official bumper case, an official sleeve for my Nexus 7 tablet and this year's Nexus Wireless Charger, seen here.

"Wireless charging", while technically correct, is a bit misleading — inductive charging is the proper term. Wikipedia explains how it works; all I know is it's the greatest thing I never knew I needed.

Charging my Nexus 5 (or 7) is as easy as locking it to the charging plate. There are magnets that hold the two together; I just slide my phone or tablet across the surface of the plate to where the attraction is the strongest. I know I've hit the sweet spot when my device emits a short cadence to confirm that charging has begun. If this sounds like a difficult procedure it isn't — finding the end of a charging cable and plugging it in easily takes twice as long.

For me, inductive charging has two immediate benefits:

The first is that I will henceforth save the micro USB connectors on my Nexuses from excessive wear and tear. This can be a bigger deal than you think; I know someone who swore by their Nokia N9 but had to give it up because something happened to its micro USB port. Once the non-removable battery ran out the device was rendered pretty much useless. I did manage to find a hack to make the N9 compatible with inductive chargers, but it's not for the faint of heart.

The second, less obvious perk is that in making the act of charging less cumbersome I find that I'm charging my phone and tablet more often. My Nexus charging plate has a permanent spot on my desk; when I take the phone off to go out the tablet goes on, and vice versa.

The Nexus 4 also supports inductive charging, so of course my girlfriend wants a charging plate of her own. Thanks to the Qi inductive power standard she's not limited to chargers sold by Google:

We ended up going with this charger from Amazon. I ordered a second one for myself, just because...

I can foresee a future where all small appliances support this technology, and inductive charging mats are built in to countertops. You can already buy mats that support multiple devices, so I guess that future is almost here. There is potentially some trouble ahead in the form of a competing standard, which would be an unfortunate distraction from the job at hand — to get more devices supporting this amazing new technology.
    My mobile memoirs — free ebook available here.
    My HoFo feedback... is that still a thing?

Feedback Score
    I can't imagine this is energy efficient.

I only buy phones with removable batteries. So if my charging port fubars, I just charge my battery externally with a universal charger.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Aside from toothbrushes and shavers, I've used induction chargers with a couple of times in the past. I have a powerstone induction charger for my Palm Pre's plus I have a bunch of Powermat accessories for various older Blackberries and iPhones.

No doubt about it, induction charging is very cool. Plus you make an interesting point out the connector though from my experience non of my phones has ever had a broken connector.

My problem is that by the end of the day, my phone battery is completely tapped out. The end of the day is also when I like to game. If I use an induction charger I'd have make a choice: leave my phone on the stand while it charges or play it 15 mins until the battery is empty.

The only time I find it mildly useful is if I'm sitting at my desk and in that case, unless I'm using a Nexus 5 (which has a backwards USB connector which gets me everytime) plugging it in is second nature.

The fact that you can't really use your phone (unless maybe it's on your desk and you're watching a movie) is a huge problem for me and why I think induction charging is over-rated. It's one of those things that sounds and looks cool but doesn't work for me in real life.

Device(s)
    Motorola Razr HD (XT925)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I bought an induction charger and a Magnetic Flip Case from Deal Extreme for the Galaxy S4.
    It's great. My total cost was $40.
    I'm doing an RMA for the case, as the front is 1/32 of an inch off from top to bottom, and it causes the plastic covered window to not line up properly with the screen.

BACK on to the induction charging - maybe because the charger is a cheapo from DX it's doesn't quite seem to charge as fast as cable (it requires about 8 hours to charge the phone from 40%, where as the cable only required 2-3 hours).

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless™
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by howard View Post
    Aside from toothbrushes and shavers, I've used induction chargers with a couple of times in the past. I have a powerstone induction charger for my Palm Pre's plus I have a bunch of Powermat accessories for various older Blackberries and iPhones.

No doubt about it, induction charging is very cool. Plus you make an interesting point out the connector though from my experience non of my phones has ever had a broken connector.

My problem is that by the end of the day, my phone battery is completely tapped out. The end of the day is also when I like to game. If I use an induction charger I'd have make a choice: leave my phone on the stand while it charges or play it 15 mins until the battery is empty.

The only time I find it mildly useful is if I'm sitting at my desk and in that case, unless I'm using a Nexus 5 (which has a backwards USB connector which gets me everytime) plugging it in is second nature.

The fact that you can't really use your phone (unless maybe it's on your desk and you're watching a movie) is a huge problem for me and why I think induction charging is over-rated. It's one of those things that sounds and looks cool but doesn't work for me in real life.
    The induction charger can also used to complement to your cable-charger. If you want to game, just connect it via your cable. Easy.

The convenience of an induction charger far outweighs the specific scenario that you mentioned. I find so easy to pick up the phone when I'm in bed, and not be bothered by a long cable getting in the way. I can charge when ever I want without having to fiddle with aiming the plug into the socket. The induction charger is a lazy man's dream come true!

Device(s)
    Motorola Razr HD (XT925)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sabesh View Post
    ... when I'm in bed, and not be bothered by a long cable getting in the way.... without having to fiddle with aiming the plug into the socket.
    Taken out of context. LOL

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless™
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanVS View Post
    Taken out of context. LOL
    Woops, I walked right into that one, LOL!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

Carrier(s)
    Telus $75/15GB
    Feedback Score
    The induction charger is a lazy man's dream come true!
    Thanks for saying in ten words what I meant to say in four hundred.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The induction charger can also used to complement to your cable-charger. If you want to game, just connect it via your cable. Easy.

The convenience of an induction charger far outweighs the specific scenario that you mentioned. I find so easy to pick up the phone when I'm in bed, and not be bothered by a long cable getting in the way. I can charge when ever I want without having to fiddle with aiming the plug into the socket. The induction charger is a lazy man's dream come true!
    What you're saying is then you NEED the cable but you don't always need the induction charger. If it's a compliment why don't I just leave the cable around then? Having both reduces the amount of space I have on my night stand for my other stuff.

If I was really lazy I'd leave it plugged in and never unplug it.

Also, since we're quoting out of context:

fiddle with aiming the plug into the socket.
    I've been told I never need to fiddle when I'm trying to plug into the socket. I just do it.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless™
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by howard View Post
    What you're saying is then you NEED the cable but you don't always need the induction charger. If it's a compliment why don't I just leave the cable around then? Having both reduces the amount of space I have on my night stand for my other stuff.

If I was really lazy I'd leave it plugged in and never unplug it.
    It's a phone cable, not a T3 cable, there should be enough space

Feedback Score
    I use one of the Qi wireless chargers from RAVPower. It's convenient. Charges very fast.