Thread: Does Rogers Wireless Sales people make money on commisssion? RANT

Feedback Score

Toronto Does Rogers Wireless Sales people make money on commisssion? RANT

I don't know if these guys willing to make commissions at all or do they even make any or have to fill a daily quota. I am planning to join as a new customer for month to month and these guys on the phone doesn't even budge to give new customers a good plan. I see the plans online and I call them if they have any promotions. They said yes and they digged out everything from web contents to over the phone. I mean if you want money and want me to be come a customer, gotta be flexible and give out a plan that is reasonable for my budget or be upfront with what promo they have on-going, not telling me every bits of what I see on the plans online. I asked for $30-$40 and was given a $45-$50 plan which else where can be given for $30-$35. The multiple of calls were cold and I felt they didn't want my business.

I was told I cannot go through retention as I don't have account with them. My thinking is getting the cheapest plan with no contract or term then go through retention after a month to get what I needed would be the best option.

Feedback Score
    As a new customer you are only able to get what is listed on the website. There is nothing else they can offer you.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    There is no doubt it can be brutal getting any satisfaction from a customer service representative. Especially when you're new and don't have any retention leverage. With all due respect to all the good CSRs, and most of them are good hardworking folks who are trying to the best with what their bosses give them, but I swear there are a few who try to unduly complicate matters by repeating and or confusing the same details ad-nauseum.

If you don't think you're being treated fairly or you're not getting what you want in the way of goods and or services, there are other and perhaps better places to spend your hard earned dollars. Is there any particular reason you're focusing on Rogers? Since you don't have retention status, the only reasons I can think of would be savings through bundling with other Rogers services you may have and or if the device your hoping to purchase is a either a Rogers exclusive or is lower priced at Rogers.

Other mobile device service carriers may be able to offer you better plans and or the same devices at a lower price. There are even advantages of purchasing a device at a full unsubsidised price and then get a plan at a BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) discount of either 10% or $20 depending on the specifics of the plan. If you tell us what it is in the way of a plan and or device, perhaps someone here can help you find it or at least something close enough to satisfy you.

Feedback Score
    I was a previously a Rogers customer for almost 10 years and I left when Koodo came out with better packaging plans but I still have my Rogers prepaid number for 9 years (personal phone line). My old Rogers account, I asked them to delete it when I had my phone service ported out and I don't think it is still there. Now I am back to the start as a new customer.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    I'm all for brand loyalty, when it makes sense. But sometimes you have to break away and look for the best prices. You've already done that somewhat by jumping ship to go with Koodo when you saw a bargain.

Depending on where in Canada you live, there are some great deals to be had right now. There are plan price wars going on in Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Thunder Bay and Quebec. Some people are getting those deals even if they don't live in those areas. They include unlimited Canada wide long distance, unlimited texting and 5GB of data per month for $55 or less and even less than that if you already have a satisfactory phone and want a BYOD discount. A BYOD discount can be up to either 10% or $20 off the plan price depending on the details of the plan. You will find details of those deals and instructions on how to get them in the Koodo, Virgin and Fido sub forums.

If you don't want to try for those plans, Rogers, Bell and Telus are doing double talk minutes and or double data deals off and on and right now I think they're on. Those can be seen on their respective websites. Make sure the location setting of each website is adjusted to your province to see what's available in your area. Or if you want to see the deals in the other locations I've mentioned, set the websites for those provinces.

Wind and a few of the other smaller carriers have good prices on some of their plans but they have very limited coverage areas. Those coverage areas are limited to some select larger cities in Canada and if you wander out of them you could get hit with large roaming fees. Such plans can be good for folks who stick close to home but are not so good for people who regularly travel around visiting the trailer, cottage, Aunt Mable in the next village or Mom And Dad back on the farm or if you do a lot of long distance calling.

I could help you further in finding a plan to your liking if I knew more about what you're looking for in the way of talk time, data amount and your location. Most plans already include unlimited domestic texting and in some cases international texting. Feel free to send that information to me in a private message if you're not comfortable doing it in public.

Feedback Score
    The holiday season is a good time to shop for a cellphone plan, since pretty much every carrier will have something interesting to offer. It still won't be "cheap", but it might be a slightly better bang for the buck.

Avoid Rogers/Bell/Telus like a plague, unless there is a very specific reason for why you absolutely must have service with them directly (forget "loyalty" - they don't care, and neither should you). Look into the Big3 offsprings instead - Fido/Virgin/Koodo - as they usually offer a better value, yet run on exactly the same network as their parents.

As mentioned above, think about buying your own device. For example, a Nexus 5 can be had for $349 through Google Play Store. There is a delay in shipping of about a month, but this shouldn't be much of an issue, especially if you will be shopping for a new plan in December. Nexus 5 comes unlocked, and will work on all carriers. With your own device, and on a month-to-month plan, you will find yourself to be the most flexible, and can potentially always have the best plan in the market, instead of being locked in, immobile, and watching the good deals pass you by. Additionally, by bringing your own device, you'd save even more, since there are Bring You Own Device discounts available.

I won't suggest Wind, since I don't know where you reside, and what your coverage needs are.

There is clearly a very limited amount of competition here in Canada. Most of it is smoke and mirrors. Still, there are paths that you can follow, that will allow you to save some dough.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lvlagnum View Post
    I'm all for brand loyalty, when it makes sense. But sometimes you have to break away and look for the best prices. You've already done that somewhat by jumping ship to go with Koodo when you saw a bargain.

Depending on where in Canada you live, there are some great deals to be had right now. There are plan price wars going on in Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Thunder Bay and Quebec. Some people are getting those deals even if they don't live in those areas. They include unlimited Canada wide long distance, unlimited texting and 5GB of data per month for $55 or less and even less than that if you already have a satisfactory phone and want a BYOD discount. A BYOD discount can be up to either 10% or $20 off the plan price depending on the details of the plan. You will find details of those deals and instructions on how to get them in the Koodo, Virgin and Fido sub forums.

If you don't want to try for those plans, Rogers, Bell and Telus are doing double talk minutes and or double data deals off and on and right now I think they're on. Those can be seen on their respective websites. Make sure the location setting of each website is adjusted to your province to see what's available in your area. Or if you want to see the deals in the other locations I've mentioned, set the websites for those provinces.

Wind and a few of the other smaller carriers have good prices on some of their plans but they have very limited coverage areas. Those coverage areas are limited to some select larger cities in Canada and if you wander out of them you could get hit with large roaming fees. Such plans can be good for folks who stick close to home but are not so good for people who regularly travel around visiting the trailer, cottage, Aunt Mable in the next village or Mom And Dad back on the farm or if you do a lot of long distance calling.

I could help you further in finding a plan to your liking if I knew more about what you're looking for in the way of talk time, data amount and your location. Most plans already include unlimited domestic texting and in some cases international texting. Feel free to send that information to me in a private message if you're not comfortable doing it in public.
    I tried using this while negotiating with retentions b/c I wanted that unlimited Canada wide calling and texting for $55 and they said they could not give me the same plan b/c those were for other provinces and not B.C.
    Fuelled by rice

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by racerboy88 View Post
    I tried using this while negotiating with retentions b/c I wanted that unlimited Canada wide calling and texting for $55 and they said they could not give me the same plan b/c those were for other provinces and not B.C.
    Unfortunately, retentions can't or wont let you switch to such a plan. Most likely you'd have to either port out temporarily to another carrier and then try to come back again as a "new" customer or just port out to a carrier which WILL let you have a similar plan. I think all that is covered in the threads for each carrier. Those threads are a lot of reading but very interesting.