Thread: $80 Dealer Pin 120 day vs 365 day Expiration Issue when on a Monthly Plan

Device(s)
    Droid X
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score

$80 Dealer Pin 120 day vs 365 day Expiration Issue when on a Monthly Plan

Apparently, if you are on anything other then a "Standard" plan the $80 pin automatically post with only a 120 day expiration window. This is inconvenient to say the least.

I contacted support through chat and they explained to me that "Because the 365 day expiration is for customers who have the standard pay as you go plans. If you have a monthly plan, you will not get the 365 days."

When I asked Where it states this the agent responded:
    "Naomi: Terms and conditions."

Unfortunately, there is no section where it does state that in the Terms and Conditions. At least none that I, the agent nor her supervisor could find. I was instructed to contact the Dealer, which I did but I asked for their policy detail in support of this statement. Since they could not produce it the chat session closed like this:

"They were able to extend your Balance: ${redacted}. to Expires On: 2014-09-12. . ." which is one year to the day of the original purchase.

Kind of BS to go through all that for something that is not clear, but others out there a simple switching around of the account can give you a heck of a lot more time on your account balance.

FYI to those who care.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I've been considering leaving Page Plus, but I'm still not comfortable with some of what I've read on Selectel, so I decided to stay with Page Plus a little longer. I have been on the $12 monthly plan, and like you said, I got a "balance expires" date in February after I added $80 this month. The most concerning item I have read was the report of someone saying they lost their phone number after putting $80 on the account and using the $12 monthly plan. I was hoping that I would remember to check if a monthly renewal out of a cash balance actually counts as "replenishment" and extendeds the "balance expires" date. I don't think a renewal from cash counts as "replenishment", since my renewal for this month out of the cash balance doesn't show up in the "replenishment history" and because my prior December "balance expires" date was still from an $80 card when I was previously on the standard plan. Thanks for the information that customer service can correct the "balance expires" date, so that I don't possibly lose my phone number with cash on the account.
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...st-balance-too
    Last edited by alluringreality; 10-30-2013 at 12:37 PM.

Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    It's because you can't be on two different plans at the same time. If you are on the Standard plan, the $80 PIN does indeed last a full year. If you're on a monthly plan, an $80 PIN (or any other Standard plan denomination) acts as an additional cash balance on your account. You can use the extra cash balance for things like overages, roaming, 411 and renewing your monthly plan automatically each month out of that cash balance. Every month when your monthly plan renews, it pushes the expiration date of the remaining cash balance out another 120 days.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DennyScher View Post
    Every month when your monthly plan renews, it pushes the expiration date of the remaining cash balance out another 120 days.
    Are you absolutely sure that automatic monthly plan renewals out of a cash balance actually work this way? I believe my prior "balance expires" date had still been listed as December when I added an $80 pin on 10/22/2013, even though my account had automatically renewed the $12 plan from the cash balance on 10/2/2013. The automatic renewal of the $12 from cash does not show up in my "replenishment history", so I question if your system is actually programmed to extend the "balance expires" date on an automatic renewal. The only items that seem to show up in my "replenishment history" are the times I purchased a pin or had to contact customer service to switch between the $30 and $12 plans. The times I remember the $12 plan renewing from a cash balance do not show up in the "replenishment history". Maybe I'm wrong and my 10/2/2013 automatic renewal did push the "balance expires" date on my account, but I think I still had a December "balance expires" date after the 10/2/2013 automatic $12 plan renewal, and I don't think I had a 2014 "balance expires" date before I added the $80 on 10/22/2013.
    Last edited by alluringreality; 10-30-2013 at 01:52 PM.

Feedback Score
    It's because you can't be on two different plans at the same time. If you are on the Standard plan, the $80 PIN does indeed last a full year. If you're on a monthly plan, an $80 PIN (or any other Standard plan denomination) acts as an additional cash balance on your account. You can use the extra cash balance for things like overages, roaming, 411 and renewing your monthly plan automatically each month out of that cash balance. Every month when your monthly plan renews, it pushes the expiration date of the remaining cash balance out another 120 days.
    This is WRONG. Renewing a monthly plan out of cash balance does NOT advance the expiration date of that cash balance. Only the purchase and application of a new monthly PIN advances the cash balance expiration date! This is the reason WHY IT NEEDS TO BE CLEARLY STATED ON THE WEBSITE THAT THE $80 PIN DOESN'T HAVE A YEAR EXPIRATION WHEN COMBINED WITH A MONTHLY PLAN!!!!!

You should certainly know better about both the way the plans/PINs work, as well as why, as we've discussed before, the $80 PIN needs better clarification! Especially after you personally have seen stories about people putting an $80 PIN on their account, expecting a 1 year expiration, planning to fund The 12 out of it for 6 months, only to have the remaining funds be confiscated after only 120 days! WHY CAN'T YOU FIX THIS?

Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Sorry - I double checked and what I said was incorrect. I stand corrected. If a monthly plan renews from a monthly plan PIN, it has the effect of replenishing, or adding to, the account which does push any extra cash balance expiration date out another 120 days. If the monthly plan is renewing out of cash, and nothing is added to the account, only subtracted, then the cash does maintain its 120 day expiration and not get pushed out every month. Sorry again for the misinformation - we all learned something.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I tried to see if the chat could change my account as noted in the original post. The only place I am aware that the $80 cards are mentioned on the website are the standard plan pages that mention the "Monthly Plan Add-On" and indicate "The $80 Standard PIN (available only through authorized Page Plus dealers) lasts 365 days" and "the $80 denomination lasts for a full year" The response I got was that "You can go to the support page and open a support ticket."

EDIT:
    The response from the support ticket was:
    "We can repair this issue by removing the monthly plan and adjusting the account but please contact Live Chat ASAP and verify the account so we may assist if this is your intention."
    Last edited by alluringreality; 10-31-2013 at 07:28 AM.

Feedback Score
    Sorry - I double checked and what I said was incorrect. I stand corrected. If a monthly plan renews from a monthly plan PIN, it has the effect of replenishing, or adding to, the account which does push any extra cash balance expiration date out another 120 days. If the monthly plan is renewing out of cash, and nothing is added to the account, only subtracted, then the cash does maintain its 120 day expiration and not get pushed out every month. Sorry again for the misinformation - we all learned something.
    So, are you finally going to get the website fixed to properly indicate that the $80 PIN only has a 120 day expiration when combined with a monthly plan?

Device(s)
    Droid X
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    So, are you finally going to get the website fixed to properly indicate that the $80 PIN only has a 120 day expiration when combined with a monthly plan?
    That's all I would expect as well. Again, my issue was the manner of approach towards the explanation of service. Saying it's in the terms when it's not is not a valid response.

Device(s)
    Droid X
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    So I filled a complaint with the original merchant (CallingMart.com) as well regarding the lack of information detailing this and they called to follow up. They used the same logic that I had previous frustration with when dealing with Page Plus. They quoted policies that are not stipulated on page and do not inform their customers of the proper expiration associated with $80 pins.

I really have a hard time seeing why it is so difficult for them not to designate the small differentiation in expiration based off Standard vs Monthly Plans. It's clear that it's not obvious and is really a disservice to their customers.

Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    This is in process. It just doesn't happen overnight. Thanks again for pointing it out.

Denny

Feedback Score
    This is in process. It just doesn't happen overnight. Thanks again for pointing it out.

Denny
    This was discussed many months ago, but you chose to ignore it then, instead of having the changes made when it FIRST came to your attention, which is when it SHOULD have been fixed!

So, you CAN'T truthfully use the excuse "it just doesn't happen overnight", since it should have been addressed many months ago.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Strangely, I've got a friend on PPC who was initially using the Standard Plan, and at one point an $80 PIN. He used up all but about $1.20 in his cash balance in about three months, whereby he started adding $10 PINs. But the thing is, his cash expiration date still shows as the year out from the time he added the $80 PIN (which is understandable; for that to change he'll have to get to the other side of that date). Even more, he has started using The 12, and is now on his second month with that. His cash balance still shows the expiration for the initial $80 PIN (Jan 2014).

How does this then jibe with the notion that cash balance expirations (established by the $80 one year PIN) get converted to only four months out when the line (account) has gone to monthly plans? Or, does this conversion only apply to $80 PINs applied after a monthly plan is in place (my friend's preceded the monthly plan). It's all academic to me, as I'm on the Standard Plan myself.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    does this conversion only apply to $80 PINs applied after a monthly plan is in place (my friend's preceded the monthly plan).
    If someone on the standard plan applies an $80 card and then switches to a monthly plan they still get the year "balance expires" date, but if they're on the monthly plan when the $80 pin is added they only get 120 days for the "balance expires" date. The day before my monthly plan ran out I contacted chat support to put me back on the standard plan, and like smtelegadis indicated they were able to give me the 1 year "balance expires" date from the $80 pin. The chat support supervisor warned me that if I went back to the $12 plan I would lose that date, but I had them convert $12 from the balance for the monthly plan anyway, and like you said my account retained the year for the "balance expires" date. So the length of the "balance expires" date depends if the $80 is applied to an account that is currently on a standard or monthly plan.